Author Topic: Alice Leak 1853-1878  (Read 6893 times)

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
  • Burg Crest Schleswig-Holstein
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Leak 1853-1878
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 October 15 00:29 BST (UK) »
re the birth of Alice Leak 3rd Q 1857  - not sure this is the person I am looking for, as Ann Davison died in 3rd Q 1876 at Pocklington. The mother may have died in child-birth, but a year gap is greater than I would expect.
I'd rather go back to the 1853 birth date at Pocklington, and try to find her in the 1861 and 1871 Censuses, please.
Her mother's name was Sarah, but can't pin down her mother's maiden name; married name Davison.
Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 02 October 15 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again.

I have looked at 2 different databases for Alice.

On the first looking for Alice Leak b 1853 Pocklington the nearest is an Alice Ann Leak b and living in Bingley with parents Robert and Sarah so clearly not yours. Looking for Alice Leake b 1853 Pocklington, nothing remotely close. Nothing for either name in 1871 either.

On the second looking for Alice Leak and Alice Leake b Pocklington 1853 +/- 2 years nothing

Looking for Alice Leak and Alice Leake b Pocklington 1855 +/- 2 years the only thing that comes up in any of their databases (which includes both 1861 and 1871 censuses) is Alice Leak b1857 d1878 Pocklington.

Have to say I am stumped. Can't even find her birth registration. On freebmd the only birth registered between M1852 and D1858 for Alice Leak or Leake is Alice Leak S1857 and she is presumably the lass who is living with her grandmother Hannah in 1861 and 1871. And dies 1878?

Sorry I haven't been able to help you further forward
Brie

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 02 October 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
re the birth of Alice Leak 3rd Q 1857  - not sure this is the person I am looking for, as Ann Davison died in 3rd Q 1876 at Pocklington. The mother may have died in child-birth, but a year gap is greater than I would expect.
I'd rather go back to the 1853 birth date at Pocklington, and try to find her in the 1861 and 1871 Censuses, please.
Her mother's name was Sarah, but can't pin down her mother's maiden name; married name Davison.

Hello,
Do you have a birth reference for Alice born 1853?
Whose mother was Sarah?
The death in 1878 shows Alice born 1857 as pointed out already  ???
Do you have a death index which is a different one?
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 October 15 13:21 BST (UK) »
Apologies if this has been posted already.

Free BMD

Alice Lakes September quarter 1857 Pocklington vol 9d pg 47
Alice Leak September quarter 1857 Pocklington vol 9d pg 52

There are deaths in 1859 and 1865 for Alice Lakes but no indication re ages.

Just noticed a birth in 1864 for Alice Lakes

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 October 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi ratty2,

I am still confused. You talk about William's 'first' marriage and that they had to 'marry in a bit of a hurry'- where is this information from?
Similarly, where is the source for the child Alice?

I say this because 1851 has a William b 1801 living in Bolton, Yorkshire. There is a servant Ann Davidson. This could just be a coincidence.

1861 has William Leak 31 yrs with Ann, 20 yrs at Lowfield Farm.
This may be the William Leak and Ann Cross who married in 1860.

Are you saying that this William was married previously? Did he marry as a widower?

Heywood

I thought this was familiar. :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=694434.0

I noticed we discussed some of this there.

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 October 15 05:50 BST (UK) »
Dear Chatters,
Here are extracts from a report I commissioned last year for assistance with the family of William Leak and his wives Anne Davison (sorry for the typo, NOT Davidson, but Davison) and Anne Cross.
Anne Davison he married 28 Mar 1853 at York (Marriages Jun 1853; Leak, William; Pocklington; Vol 9d:p121); the IGI record has the marriage bond contains the following information:
Name: William Leak
Birth Date: 1832
Spouse's Name: Ann Davison Lake
Spouse's Birth Date: 1832
Spouse's Age: 21 (the age simply indicates she was adult)
Event Date: 28 Mar 1853
Event Place: York, England

The only reason for saying they married in a bit of a hurry is because the marriage and the birth of Alice are only a month or couple of months apart.

Your discovery of the name Lake in your previous replies may well be born out. Perhaps Alice was taken in by the grandparents with the surname Lake? I had hoped that perhaps if Anne and Alice had both died within the same year it would help understand the family circumstances - but now that thought looks too speculative without any evidence to back it up.

FreeBMD also lists the death registration of Ann Leak in Apr/May/Jun quarter 1856 in the Pocklington district (vol. 9d page 41). It is the only death registration of an Ann Leak between 1853 and 1860 within the Pocklington district.

Anne Cross he married at Pocklington 31 Dec 1860. He described his marital status as 'widower.'

With Anne Davison he had one daughter, Alice, (B.C. 1853 Leak, Alice; Pocklington; 9d, page52). Alice died 3rd Qtr 1878 (DC p51 Vol 9D). Now that I know William was at Leeds with his mother and sisters in 1851 (2 Grove Terrace, Leeds, Yorkshire), and in the 1861 Census with his wife and servants at Nunburnholme, the question is where was Alice between 1861 and 1871?

My reason for asking and seeking is that the relationship of Alice with her father (who migrated in 1865) could be revealed a little. If Alice was alive in the 1870s, why did her father not take her with him to Australia - and so on?

Schleswig-Holstein:- Rathgen; Rathjen; Oelkers; Behnke; Scheel; Rothgarn; Normanns; Scotland:- Lindsay

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 October 15 08:12 BST (UK) »
Dear Chatters,
Here are extracts from a report I commissioned last year for assistance with the family of William Leak and his wives Anne Davison (sorry for the typo, NOT Davidson, but Davison) and Anne Cross.
Anne Davison he married 28 Mar 1853 at York (Marriages Jun 1853; Leak, William; Pocklington; Vol 9d:p121); the IGI record has the marriage bond contains the following information:
Name: William Leak
Birth Date: 1832
Spouse's Name: Ann Davison Lake
Spouse's Birth Date: 1832
Spouse's Age: 21 (the age simply indicates she was adult)
Event Date: 28 Mar 1853
Event Place: York, England

The only reason for saying they married in a bit of a hurry is because the marriage and the birth of Alice are only a month or couple of months apart.

FreeBMD also lists the death registration of Ann Leak in Apr/May/Jun quarter 1856 in the Pocklington district (vol. 9d page 41). It is the only death registration of an Ann Leak between 1853 and 1860 within the Pocklington district.

Anne Cross he married at Pocklington 31 Dec 1860. He described his marital status as 'widower.'

With Anne Davison he had one daughter, Alice, (B.C. 1853 Leak, Alice; Pocklington; 9d, page52). Alice died 3rd Qtr 1878 (DC p51 Vol 9D).

Hello again,
Firstly did the commissioned report produce certificates for you ?
As has been said several times, there is no 1853 birth for Alice Leak.
As above, you have BC 1853 Leak Alice Pocklington 9d page 52.
Who are Alice's parents on this certificate?

You will see from earlier posts that the 1857 birth for Alice Leak has that reference for September quarter.

If this were the Alice in question, then she couldn't be the daughter of Ann who died in 1856.
Does that death certificate show that she is William's wife or show the address as Nunburnholme?

Regards
Heywood

Offline Ratty2

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 04 October 15 22:56 BST (UK) »
Okay, so will have to check, that will take a while. Thanks again, and thanks for your patience. Stand by for further info.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 October 15 23:22 BST (UK) »
Looking forward to it. ;)