Author Topic: Blackness Road/Blackress Road? - Dundee - Completed, Thank You  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Blackness Road/Blackress Road? - Dundee - Completed, Thank You
« on: Tuesday 29 September 15 17:19 BST (UK) »
A transcribed 1871 Scotland census has an address as 29 Blackress Rd Brown's Buildings (Dundee, Angus).

Trying an internet search, I cannot find this road.  With RootsChatters help, we have found possible ancestor's relatives at 29 Blackness Road/Street.  Would anyone know, please, if there ever was a Blackress Road?

For a different reason, I would love to see the original image and one from 1861.  Is the only place to do so on "SP"?  Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Blackness Road/Blackress Road? - Dundee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 17:34 BST (UK) »
Key word being transcribed - likely Blackness.  An easy find on Google maps runs west off the University.

However, if you wish you can go to this link which has detailed map of Dundee and browse,

http://maps.nls.uk/towns/index.html#dundee   You might even find Brown's Buildings.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Don:

We have found the ancestor living on Blackness Road/Street (and I've even viewed current photographs), but I just found an image that states a possible relative was living on Blackress Rd.  I just wanted to be extra-sure that there wasn't a road with that name.

I will check the images, especially looking for Brown's Buildings!  Thank you for your time and link.  It is appreciated.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 17:43 BST (UK) »
... For a different reason, I would love to see the original image and one from 1861.  Is the only place to do so on "SP"?  ...

Not sure about who might have microfilms but as for online images of the originals, yes, SP keep them all on their own site only.

Adrian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Adrian.  I think I may have found my husband's ancestor in 1861 and if so, we also possibly found other family members as well.  Thank you for your reply.   :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Blackness Road/Blackress Road? - Dundee - Completed, Thank You
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
To help with streets and links etc... www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Dundee

I find these town directories really useful to then link up with street maps and see where the street juctions/ buildings' names may show.

1869-70 here www.archive.org/stream/postofficedundee186970dun#page/242/mode/2up

Post Office Directories won't very often help at this time though. Many people off the radar. Often at this time, only key people, traders, will show. I use it more often at this time to get the junctions and cross roads to help with mapping...

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 October 15 06:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica:

Thank you for providing the links.  I didn't realize that the directories would not necessarily list everyone!  When I've checked Ontario, Canada directories for my ancestors, they all seem to be there (except for one family during the 1840s.)  I've only previously checked the directories for names; I look forward to actually looking through them.  Thank you, Monica.  Lisa

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa

You are correct in thinking that there is no Blackress Road in Dundee, it is Blackness Road.

On the link of photos you should find Brown Street in the Blackness Road area.  Perhaps Brown's Buildings were near here!

http://www.mccrow.org.uk/taysidetoday/Dundee/Dundee_5.htm

Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
I've attached a snippet from the Dundee Advertiser for March 1863 offering 'houses' to let in Brown's Building on Blackness Road. Interesting to track these buildings and the goings on of their tenants in the Dundee press over time.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir