Author Topic: Marcella Mary Garrett lived in Victoria  (Read 6363 times)

Offline David Garrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marcella Mary Garrett lived in Victoria
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 February 16 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
        I am the great grand son of Joseph and Jane, Grandson of Joseph. I have a long standing interest in this family tree and knowledge of most of what has been discussed here so far. I am so pleased to read of others with the same interest.
My father and his sister are still alive with some recollection of the family. I am keen to share and learn more practically so pre Australian arrival history. 
A news paper article had Joseph serve in the Crimean war, On a birth certificate he signed with an X so I assume he was un able to write.

Re Marcella's birth date is a question

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 February 16 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
Welcome to RootsChat. I’m sure you will find a lot of help on this site.
Marcella Garrett is part of my Australian son-in-law’s family, and I have been looking at parts of his family here in Great Britain before they emigrated.
(I haven’t found any so far that were sent!!!!)

I am having problems with your great grandfather!!!!!! There seems to be some confusion in various sources about his age/date of birth and Christian name.  I thought at one time I had lost a generation.!! !
To keep this short at the moment.  Did he use both names Joseph and Job?
From what I have found it is possible that he was Job in England and Joseph in Australia!!!

If he is the same person I have quite a bit on the family in England and can go back another 2 generations.

I would be very happy to collaborate with you on this family.

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline David Garrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 09 February 16 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eric, many thanks for your reply. Not a lot of history to go on here other than what I have read from news paper articles but back in the late 18th century in a small country town there was little that made the papers. To my knowledge Joseph hadn't gone by the name of Job but anything about him I have seen was only on official type stuff so not even the name Joe was used.

I haven't been able to establish when he came to Australia but have seen a birth certificate where its listed his place of birth and some parents details as well as Janes detail. Did see the Donald
Mc Kay somewhere too. As for Jane she possibly came here either with or to with at least one sister Eliza who married a William Watts in 1861. The name Murtha Murther or Murtagh may have been mixed. 
 Sounds like you have a good grasp of much of what I know already. I will round up some details to share. David   

Offline David Garrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 November 17 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Did anyone make any more progress on this topic ?

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 November 17 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,
I haven't done much more on the Garrett family recently. I spent a lot of time trying to find more about the Murtha family in Ireland bui have it was not able to make much progress. A lot of Irish records were destroyed in a fire in the 1920s and my knowledge of Irish geography is minimal. I did look at the Gormandale grave photos only last week.
I'm reasonably certain that the Job Garrett I have in England is the same as the Joseph Garrett who came out to Australia. I have seen at least 2 cases where there is the Job/Joseph name.

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline dg1643

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 November 22 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for the delay in posting on here. I had difficulties logging back in hence the different user name.
Since my last post I have had a Ancestor DNA test which has confirmed that the Joseph Job Garrett mentioned above is the correct one being Marcella's father and my Great Grand father. I believe he was born in 11 Oct 1831 to Joseph Garrett and Elizabeth Bissell at Pishill Oxfordshire and Baptized at the Stoner Catholic church where it seems all there children were.

Joseph [Job] Garrett wasn't referred to Job in Australia
There is variation in ages recorded at Marriage, Death and Births of his children and seems most likely he wanted to appear younger than he was. He came to Australia in 1856

RE Marcella
I believe she was born in 1871  before Joseph and Jane were married  in 1872 Joseph aged 41 and Jane aged 22 despite the marriage certificate recording ages of 33 and 23. Interesting to see Jane signed with her signature but Joseph with an X 

I have a copy of her brother Jame's birth certificates 1890  and noted that only 8 siblings are mentioned. James was the last child born with the ages of the siblings aldso recorded but no mention of Marcella who would have been the first born.

This could be that they didn't want a legitimate child  to appear on the record or potentially Marcella wasn't Joseph's child.

More information leads to more question but thats why we are here.