Author Topic: Marcella Mary Garrett lived in Victoria  (Read 6360 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marcella Mary Garrett lived in Victoria
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 October 15 01:33 BST (UK) »
With regard to getting certificates -- If you go back a generation in my family, a marriage certificate gives the bridegroom's father's name --- except that there was no such person!!!!!!!

The information on any bdm certificate is only as accurate as the knowledge of the informant.  Of course it is your choice whether or not to purchase an online certificate to validate the research.  Surely there was other identify information on your marriage certificate ie if it was an Australian Certificate. 

Information on Victorian Marriage Certificates
 Date and place of marriage;
 name and surnames;
 conjugal condition, whether bachelor or spinster, widow or widower,
 stating date of decease of former wife or husband;
 children by each former marriage;
birthplace;
 occupation;
age;
 residence (present and usual);
parent's names of each party (including mother's maiden name) and occupation of father;
 signatures of the parties and witnesses;
 signature of Minister. Prior to 1963 the date of termination of previous marriages of  the parties is also shown.

The children born to Joseph and Jane are - [I missed a few due to spelling variations of the surname...thanks Essie :)]  And note that Mary J was the third dau....so it would appear that Marcella was an elder sister.  If you purchase any of the following birth certificates it will show the names of the previous children of the marriage and their ages.  Also note the usual 2 year gap between most of the births.  I think Marcella was born either 1871 or 1872 and her age at death is incorrect.  Probably correct on that marriage cert as she would have needed parental consent to marry in 1889 even if born c1869.

Births
GARRETT Thomas
Father Joseph  Mother Jane MURTHA
At Cowwarr  1873  Reg#15862          Died Cheltenham  1953  79 years   Reg#4072

GARRETT Ellen      Dau# 2
At Cowwarr  1875  Reg#1659

GARRETT William
Father Joseph Mother Jane MURTHA
At Cowwarr 1877  Reg#8152              Died Hotham  1931    54 years  Reg#9839 

GARRET Joseph
At Cowwarr  1879  Reg#15279

GARRET Mary   Dau#3 according to the marriage notice in 1900.
Father Joseph  Mother Jane MARTHA
At Cowwarr 1881  Reg#8557      Died as Mary McGRATH at Bentleigh  1962 81 years Reg#9688

GARRETT Eliza
Father Joseph  Mother Jane MARTHA
At Cowwarr  1883  Reg#8423   Died as Eliza McGRATH at Fitzroy 1963  80 years Reg#22750

No birth registration
GARRETT Gregory born c1885.  Died 1960 at Werribee aged 75 years.  Reg#26435
Parents Joseph GARRETT and Jane MURTAGH.

GARRETT Edward Stephen
At Cowwarr 1887  Reg#27607              Died at Sale  1946 58 years  Reg#17366

GARRETT James
At Cowwarr  1890 Reg#31620              Died 1970 Bunyip  79 years Reg#20827

I suggested you view Joseph's and Jane's probate file available online but I have just been advised by the Public Records of Victoria that the digitised wills will probably not be available again until next week.  It is a public holiday in Victoria tomorrow however their techs are working on the problem now.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article59436344
Administrators of Joseph's estate selling machinery and stock.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article67395565
Application for probate by the executors of Jane's Will.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article71544491   - ?too much Christmas cheer :P
Traralgon Record and Morwell, Mirboo,Toongabbie, Heyfield,Tyers and Callignee Advertiser 25 Jan 1884
TOONGABBIE POLICE COURT.
At Toongabbie Police Court on Tuesday, before a bench of magistrates, Joseph Garrett was fined 10s for insulting behaviour at Cower on last Christmas Day.

Either Joseph's or Jane's death certificate will list all the chn of the marriage both living and deceased at the times of their respective deaths.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 October 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando
I took your advice!!
I have downloaded the image for Charles George Wykes and Marcella Mary Garrett's marriage. The marriage was on Jan 1 1889 in the Presbyterian Church in Traralgon. Marcella's age is given as 18 and her father had given written consent. This would put her birth in 1871. The groom was 42. The venue, a little surprising, as I understand she and the Garretts were devout catholics.

With regard to the marriage cert from my extended family, I know that the groom was very sensitive about being illegitimate and and "claimed" a father (deceased) on the certificate.

Eric

Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 October 15 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric :)

The value of a certificate ;D

Photos of Charles and Marcella's headstones at Gormandale Cemetery are available on request

http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?grave=398065&scrwidth=300
http://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/gravedetails.php?grave=398064&scrwidth=300

Cheers
Cando

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 October 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
iI sometimes think that our ancestors knew that we would be looking for them in a 100years or so and took steps make life difficult for us!!--- but I suppose the difficult search is where the fun is.

I said that I had purchased the image of Joseph Garrett and Jane Murtha's marriage certificate. It says that Joseph was born in Hadley on Thames Oxfordshire ( can't find such a place---- I think it is probably Henley on Thames. His parents are given as Joseph Garrett and Elizabeth ---"maiden name unknown".  So far I have not been able to find the couple.
I haven't bought Joseph's death certificate but the information you gave me earlier gives his parents as Joseph Garrett and Sophia Welch!!!!!!  I haven't been able to find them either ---  so far!!!!

I'll keep looking

Eric

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 October 15 23:11 BST (UK) »
Eric just one comment.....information on death certificates is only as accurate as the knowledge of the informant. 

What was Joseph's father's occupation on the marriage certificate?

Cando

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 October 15 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando

Joseph's father was a labourer, presumably back in England.

Lots of puzzles with Joseph!!!!! I sorted the Welch surname on his death cert. It was his mother in law's maiden name which someone had remembered.
I couldn't see Joseph's entry into Australia on the Victoria immigration lists and don't know if he came on his own or part of a family group. I don't see him in the 1841 or 1851 censuses living with his parents. There is one family of Joseph and Elizabeth with son Joseph living not far from Henley on Thames but in the adjacent county. However the group is still together in 1851 and can be traced through the next few censuses. There is also a Joseph and Elizabeth (nee Pishill or Bissell) living 3 or 4 miles from Henley on Thames. They are Catholics, as was Marcella, but they don't have a son Joseph with them, baptised around 1835 or  in 1841 or 1851 censuses.

Intriguing!!!!!!

best wishes

Eric

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 00:47 BST (UK) »
Death of her father
GARRETT Joseph
Father Joseph  Mother Sophia WELCH
At Conwarr 78 years  1899  Reg#5373

Cheers  :)
Cando

I don't see him in the 1841 or 1851 censuses living with his parents..... but they don't have a son Joseph with them, baptised around 1835 or  in 1841 or 1851 censuses.

best wishes

Eric

Wasn't Joseph born c1821?  How old did he say he was when he married? 

Debra  :)

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi  Debra
Thanks for the reply,
On his marriage certificate to Jane Murtha, Joseph's age is given as 33  (8th Oct. 1872)

I have enlarged the image I have and see that the age is 33 and not 38 as I had read before, which puts his birth in 1839!!!!!! Like the name of his mother on the marriage and death certificates, I suppose that on the marriage cert is more likely to be correct. (or did he knock a few years off his age to reduce the age gap with his wife!!!!)

I have now found a Jos Garrett arriving in Melbourne in Dec1856 aboard the Donald McKay, which could be him!!!!

best wishes

Eric

Just had another look at  the newspaper report into the circumstances of his death and that says he was 78!!!!!

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 22:07 BST (UK) »

I have now found a Jos Garrett arriving in Melbourne in Dec1856 aboard the Donald McKay, which could be him!!!!

best wishes

Eric

A couple of details about the man on the "Donald McKay"
GARRETT, Joseph
Aged 23
Labourer
English
Scheduled to land Melbourne.
He was a single man.

The ship departed 4th October 1856 from Liverpool

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk