Author Topic: lost cause - Jane McLeod - married William Tough in 1928  (Read 10414 times)

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: lost cause - Jane McLeod - married William Tough in 1928
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 October 15 15:45 BST (UK) »

Phoned my aunt tonight .... when Jane was still alive, she and one of her daughter's went to Edinburgh records house (I think to get her birth certificate) the records officer told them the orphanage had burnt down and nothing survived.  !!!!  So they must have known the name of the orphanage but also that would not be where her birth cert would be kept?  Not the only place?  Should Edinburgh not have had a copy too?
Have sent aunt off to grill the sister and also another of her older (unreliable) sisters.

Kate, Question to add for grilling session.. Any idea WHERE this orphanage is/was? County would be better then nothing! :) Town or place even better. Chuckle.
Brunton, Binnington, in Cullercoats
Paterson, Anderson in Fifeshire
Vacher, Vatchers, Vatyers, (other various spellings) , in Dorsetshire
Marchams, in Oxfordshire / Berkshire (depending on date)

Offline Ausgirl44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 05 October 15 17:21 BST (UK) »
Update - major disappointment!
After a flurry of 'phone calls we have a big fat 0.     :'(
Turns out Jane and her daughter went to Glenrothes instead of Edinburgh to try to get birth certificate.  But the daughter remembers nothing about the orphanage name or location.
Seems like I NEED to find that birth certificate but at the moment the question is 'was Jane McLeod even the name given at birth'??
Struggling even to find Margaret Clark Malone.
Husband William Tough is a fine easy fellow though and I have been on morale boosting exercise looking him up but many thanks for the certificates posted here.

I'm thinking time to give up but don't like to be defeated!!  There has to be a way!  (off to buy more credits now   ::))

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 October 15 17:59 BST (UK) »
Sometimes these things just take time to shake loose. I have had the odd head banger that has been about for years.... :P I have solved several though. one took 15 years to get to the bottom of. :P

Just cos you do not find it at this time.. certainly does not mean you wont ever find it.

xxx

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 October 15 18:16 BST (UK) »
Also.. George McLeod 3/4/1882 is on the 1911 Census on a ship at Portland, Dorset. He is a  Leading stoker on the "Adventure".

Ref. Source Citation Class: RG14; Piece: 12373; Page: 7

he also has a naturization Cert. for the USA

Source Citation National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C.; Naturalization Records of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, 1890-1957; Microfilm Serial: M1542; Microfilm Roll: 121

Both can be found on Ancestry.

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 October 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
I agree - never give up! I too have had some decade long brick walls that finally came tumbling down after finding the right clue or asking the right person the right questions. New info. becomes available to search all the time. Keep kicking at the can!

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Ausgirl44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 23:53 BST (UK) »
I agree - never give up! I too have had some decade long brick walls that finally came tumbling down after finding the right clue or asking the right person the right questions. New info. becomes available to search all the time. Keep kicking at the can!

Mary
Sometimes these things just take time to shake loose. I have had the odd head banger that has been about for years.... :P I have solved several though. one took 15 years to get to the bottom of. :P

Just cos you do not find it at this time.. certainly does not mean you wont ever find it.

xxx

Many thanks for all the support and information to you both and to everyone else that posted!  This site and the people on it are very wonderful!!  I wish I'd found you sooner.
I can't concentrate on my research as well as I want or should do but I have been pottering about since the 1980's and despite one branch of the family vehemently insisting my grandmother was Irish, I've found her approx. 30 years later after I had a moment of 'rebellion' to be Scottish so yeah ... don't listen to people too much. haha

Thanks too DebPat ... I guess I have to subscibe to Ancestry.  The English system confuses me tho, hadn't realised they were not all like SP and do not show certificates.   :-\
But there is more to be found re George McLeod ... no doubt some more relations for my aunt!!!!

Thanks again everyone!
Kate

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: lost cause
« Reply #33 on: Friday 09 October 15 10:02 BST (UK) »
higgsy that info is on the register image. however heres a quick run through.

St Cyrus Parish, Kincardineshire

22 Dec 1928 Pitcardlie, St Cyrus.
William Tough, Farm Servant, Bachelor, 22, East Cultercullen, Foveran, William Tough, Farm Servant, Sarah Tough, M.S. Friesh?
Jane McLeod, Domestic Servant, Spinster, 21, Pitcardlie, St Cyrus, George McLeod, Boilermaker (deceased), Margaret Clark McLeod, M.S. Malone (deceased)
Witnesses - Mary Tough, Pitcardlie, St Cyrus. Alick Tough, Pitcardlie, St Cyrus.

Just noticed the marriage cert. upload.

I think the maiden name for Sarah is Fraser?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 09 October 15 10:07 BST (UK) »
It is possible that Jane was illegitimate & born by surname Malone.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: lost cause
« Reply #35 on: Friday 09 October 15 15:41 BST (UK) »

I think the maiden name for Sarah is Fraser?

Annie

Yeep it is i found the marriage tough/fraser somewhere around post 25? If Photobucket was playing i could link it..