Author Topic: lost cause - Jane McLeod - married William Tough in 1928  (Read 10412 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: lost cause
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 23:48 BST (UK) »
Just throwing it out there - in actuality, Gaelic as a first language wasn't as widespread as you'd think in 1900. I believe it was less than 5% of the entire population of Scotland. The most likely places to find Gaelic spoken then, and still today, is on the west coast highlands and islands. MCLEOD is quite common on the Isle of Skye, I know. By 1900, young women were starting to leave Highland homes in search of work in cities, usually as domestic servants in 'big houses'. The industrialists were becoming very wealthy and needed servants for their mansions and holiday homes. Maybe your Jane left a Highland home for work?

Also Jane could appear as Jean Jen, Jenny, Janet or Jessie on various documents. Oh what fun!

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 23:58 BST (UK) »
As her children knew so little about her, and did not understand the Gaelic language, how do they know that it was actually "Gaelic" she was speaking? Might the Gaelic be a red herring?  :-\

Sorry, not a positive contribution, but just an anomaly I thought to point out.  ;)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 October 15 00:25 BST (UK) »
The mystery woman is Jane McLeod - married William Tough in 1928  - parents listed as George McLeod & Margaret Clark McLeod  (Malone)

her father was 'a highlander'
just before she died - she only spoke gaelic
it was thought to be spelt McCloud (her children were quite determined about that)

Kate

Hi Kate,

As ag pointed out, McLeod/MacLeod on Skye is prominent, most common name on the island.
Just to say, many people get fixated on how a name was/should be spelled but there will always be variations which should not be ignored.

George as a forename for a McLeod/MacLeod is rare so should be easier to trace as common names were Donald, Roderick, Murdoch, Neil etc.
I am not saying your George was from Skye but merely pointing out that George was not common to the surname.

I have been trying to follow M(a)cLeods from Skye for near on 2 yrs & it's not easy as all the names are the same  ::)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 October 15 00:43 BST (UK) »
I agree with Annie - never pay much mind to the spelling. It can vary from document to document. One of my great grandmothers was a MCMILLAN but all her relatives in one branch who went to England maybe 100 years ago all use MACMILLAN. I have no idea why!

My husband has Skye MCLEODs too, Annie. They came to Canada in the late 1700s. Norman and Alexander were popular given names with them. I agree too that George would be an odd name to find on Skye among the MCLEODs, or any family really. My mother's family is full of Georges but it came into our Argyll family with HAMILTONs who migrated from Lanarkshire about 1851. I feel as if it's more common in the Lowlands.

I don't think it's a lost cause at all, Kate. You just need the right clues to break the wall. It will happen.

Mary

Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 October 15 01:45 BST (UK) »
Does any family member know her actual birthday as opposed to just the year?   

I hate to say it, but it's even possible her parents were not married (even if she thought they were).  It seems to be a common anomaly in Scotland that children born illegitimately, who knew who their fathers were, would grow up with his surname rather than their mothers.   I realise I am not helping but thought you should keep this in mind.

On a more positive note, I have found a George McLeod who was a Boilermakers apprentice in 1901.   He was actually born in Glasgow as George Findlay McLeod on 4/3/1882, son of Walter McLeod (also a boilermaker who was deceased between 1891 and 1901).   Discovered that this George McLeod joined the Royal Navy on 18/9/1902 for 12 years.   Had to smile as he was then 20 years old but shown as 'Rivet Boy'!   The record shows the ships he sailed on, and when, the last entry being on the 'Algerine' from 9 June 1911 to 20 Nov. 1911 - cannot read the first word of the last part - 'something' Run San Diego.  His rank at that time was 'Leading Stoker'.

Don't know his whereabouts after then or if he died on that last run.   Being in the navy he'd have travelled all over the world and no doubt into ports in the North of Scotland too. 

In 1901 although there were many McLeods in the Highlands there were none that were Boilermakers.   Indeed, the majority were in Lanarkshire.   Perhaps it was Margaret who was from the Highlands although I can't find many Malone's in that part of the country.

Having found just one George McLeod in 1901 who was a Boilermaker (albeit apprentice then), and earlier census showed his father was also a boilermaker, it seemed worthwhile pursing him, as it were.   His birth date was 4/3/1882 in Glasgow and this birthdate/place concurs with the naval record.   So, could this be your man perhaps and, if so, where/when did he meet and take up with Margaret Malone and where was Jane born? 

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 October 15 08:43 BST (UK) »
Could it have been Irish gaelic?

Perhaps the parents married in Ireland or the child was illegitimate and brought up by George McLeod

Closest death record I could find for the mother was

1927 MCDONALD MARGARET CLARK     FEMALE AGED 45 KINLOCH RANNOCH PERTH

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: lost cause - Jane McLeod - married William Tough in 1928
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 October 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
Annette, from your info above, with a George McLeod born in Glasgow. If left he the navy around c.1914 (with the 12 year service done), do you think this could be him enlisting in 1915? www.aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=202720

Kate, not suggesting you throw more credits at this all, but when searching for Malone, might be good to include a wildcard to pick up the surname 'Maloney'. If Jane was born, anwhere from 1901-7, and parents were not married, her birth would show under the surname of Malon*.

Guessing you are not local to one of the main genealogy centres in Scotland where you can look up all this info for the simple cost of a day ticket, Kate (clue likely in the ausgirl!). This type of search is not only hard but can get really expensive to fund via credits...as you are finding  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ausgirl44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 October 15 02:31 BST (UK) »

Cannot thank you all enough for all your help! You've all given me plenty to think about (as if I wasn't already   :))
Phoned my aunt tonight .... when Jane was still alive, she and one of her daughter's went to Edinburgh records house (I think to get her birth certificate) the records officer told them the orphanage had burnt down and nothing survived.  !!!!  So they must have known the name of the orphanage but also that would not be where her birth cert would be kept?  Not the only place?  Should Edinburgh not have had a copy too?
Have sent aunt off to grill the sister and also another of her older (unreliable) sisters.

Annette, Mary, Annie - thank you all - feel I need something to tie George to Jane - or do you think this is enough/close as I will ever get?  How do you guys find all this stuff?   :o

Sancti - would hate to think the mother would just abandon her child.  But always a possibility, thanks.

Monica, Mary, Annie - I do use wildcards, name variants tho probably not correctly. Certainly not sure how/where to apply *'s doesn't seem to work on the sites  have been using.

and Ruskie - ALL contributions are very gratefully received!

Kate

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 October 15 06:05 BST (UK) »
If the story about the orphanage burning down is true, might it be possible to find out via newspaper reports for example, which orphanage it was?  :-\ I don't suppose you have any idea when the fire occurred?