Author Topic: James David Butters  (Read 1100 times)

Offline emre43

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James David Butters
« on: Wednesday 30 September 15 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hello all

I am trying to find information on my 3x Great grandfather, James David Butters.

He was born on 20 September 1838 in Middlesex and was still living there in 1851. However, the next information I have on him comes from his marriage certificate in 1862, which took place in Colaba, India, in which he is listed as a Corporal within 'Her Majesty's 33rd Regiment'.

In 1870, he remarried and was now working as a Station Master in India.

I am particularly trying to find information on his military career though as other than this reference in his marriage certificate, I can find no other information on him. I have a memory of him serving as a Private within the same regiment, but can find no source for this.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

Tom

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James David Butters
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 11:39 BST (UK) »
Have you forgotten that you already have a topic (March 2015) looking for information about him?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=715113
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 12:18 BST (UK) »
I don't see anything in the Army discharge records on FindMyPast so presumably he did not go on to pension.

Muster rolls may be the best way to proceed http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?id=C14223&_ser=WO+12&_q=33rd&name=Search
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
This could be him in 1861

James Butters number 172 Private 33rd Foot ( Duke of Wellingtons Regt ); stationed at Deesa.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emre43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 15:14 BST (UK) »
This could be him in 1861

James Butters number 172 Private 33rd Foot ( Duke of Wellingtons Regt ); stationed at Deesa.

Oooh, thank you, that may well be him as on his marriage certificate he gave his name simply as James Butters, rather than James David.

Thanks for your reply also ShaunJ! I will have to look through the muster rolls I guess.

Many thanks to both of you for your help.

May I Ask where you were able to find this information as I've had trouble finding anything on him?

Many thanks

Tom

Offline emre43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 19:54 BST (UK) »
Have you forgotten that you already have a topic (March 2015) looking for information about him?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=715113

Hello Agha

Yes, I had forgotten, but thst was seven months ago and did not receive a reply.

Thanks

Tom

Offline emre43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
I don't see anything in the Army discharge records on FindMyPast so presumably he did not go on to pension.

Muster rolls may be the best way to proceed http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?id=C14223&_ser=WO+12&_q=33rd&name=Search

Thanks Shaun!

At long last, I managed to get down to the National Archives to view the Muster rolls for 33rd Foot.

I found that James Butters enlisted with the 33rd Foot on 30th January 1858. Just in time to join up with Sir Hugh Rose's Central India Field Force during the Indian Mutiny, during which the 33rd Foot protected the Field Force's flanks.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 23:52 GMT (UK) »
At long last, I managed to get down to the National Archives to view the Muster rolls for 33rd Foot.

I found that James Butters enlisted with the 33rd Foot on 30th January 1858. Just in time to join up with Sir Hugh Rose's Central India Field Force during the Indian Mutiny, during which the 33rd Foot protected the Field Force's flanks.

Excellent
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk