Author Topic: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)  (Read 21327 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 09 September 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hello

John Clarkson to George Hood of Selby and Clarkson to Garbutt Links
Following on from the last post, there is a tenuous link to George Hood of Selby, who acquired the Selby property of John Clarkson, a Farmer of Newport, in the Parish of Eastrington in May 1833.

Clarkson & Garbutt Marriage
Found the following, a marriage link CLARKSON to GARBUTT and business link to STANILAND [the surname GARBUTT is known to have other HOOD links]  ...

York Herald, 30th July 1825
On Wednesday week, at Eastrington, near Howden, Mr. S. A. Garbut, (of the firm of Staniland and Garbutt, silk mercers, of Hull) to Mary, eldest daughter of Mr John Clarkson, farmer and miller, of Newport.

Gazette Notice of 1831
Gazette Notice of 1831 - Staniland and Garbutt, Silk Mercers and Drapers at the Town of Kingston upon Hull being dissolved, dated 31st December 1830.
Joseph S. STANILAND.
Saml. A. GARBUTT.

Hood from Hull was Sailing Staniland's Jane
In 1786 between the Vessels Industry and Centurion upon which John Hood of Selby was Master, a Hood from Hull (likely John Hood) was sailing the Jane a few times to and from Hull.

In the Hull Payments Book from 1786 to 1791 for vessel Jane it has Jonath'n Staniland and Thos Staniland.

In 1789 a newspaper says that the Master of Jane, was Thomas Staniland (previously in 1786 Hood was also a Master), noticed that Staniland was calling at places in Lincolnshire.

--------

Got a feeling the Stanilands of Thorne, owned several vessels.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Two Brothers, London-Selby (born Scarborough)
« Reply #73 on: Saturday 15 September 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have traced the owner of John Hood's vessel (sailing 1781 to 1786/7) called the Industry a Coaster / Sloop used in the Hull Trade and it was owned by John DEAN of Gainsborough / Gainsburgh, Lincolnshire.

When the Sloops were put up for sale in February 1788, after John Dean's Death Notice at Gainsborough in December 1787, the DEAN family also put Dwelling Houses (one occupied by a Dennis COOKE) and the Gainsborough Calvinist Meeting House up for sale as well.

Calvinists apparently were Protestant.

There are claims some Calvinists wouldn't marry in a C of E Church and those Calvinists must have settled for living together with no Registered Contract of Marriage?

The Hull Muster Rolls indicate John DEAN was born Nottingham.

Claire has found Richard DEAN baptising:- John; Martha; Rebecca and Jane DEAN, in the Independent Chapel, Nottingham and possibly Joseph Dean's burial, Gainsborough.

John HOOD & Martha DEAN, Banns, Scarborough - 1781
The above is most interesting as I noticed in 1781 John HOOD and Martha DEAN published Marriage Banns at Scarborough St. Mary's (Rootschatters mentioned these Banns before), but looking at the corresponding Marriage Register, the marriage of John HOOD & Martha DEAN is absent.

It is difficult to find any more about Martha Dean and what happened to her and who Jane Hood of Selby was when buried in 1803 (Wife of John Hood of Selby, Mariner)? So I am trying a Dean Will (Lincs) and will let you know.

Martha Dean could be the Sister of the Owner of John Hood's vessel Industry.

Be interested to know if Dennis Cooke was related to the Deans? He was a Master of a Sloop too, up for sale.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Two Brothers" London-Selby-York (born Scarborough)
« Reply #74 on: Monday 24 September 18 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hello

Looking into Dennis Cook living in one of John Dean's houses at Gainsborough and a Master of the Nancy in the Newcastle Trade, February 1788 advert and 1789 Gainsborough Ship News, above.

Dennis Cooke of Gainsborough and Thorne

Died April 1803 and listed in The Gentleman's Magazine and Lincs, Yorks, Northumberland & Carlisle newspapers
At Gainsborough, Capt. Dennis Cooke, of the Perseverance Newcastle trader.

Gainsborough All Saints, Burial Register, April 1803, Dennis Cooke, Mariner A: 44.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Ot_PAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA483&lpg=PA483&dq=Dennis+Cooke+of+Gainsborough&source=bl&ots=VixbtVpclO&sig=6kp20Pse__Se3ZXQNd143BCqjiA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiCw7_8ztHdAhWDErwKHYEPC0sQ6AEwDXoECAcQAQ

All Saints, Gainsborough, 29th April 1784
Dennis Cooke married Mary Porter
Dennis signed as Dennis Cook

Marriage says Dennis Cooke was a Mariner of Thorne, Yorkshire.
Wits Rebekah King and Catharine Hasdell

Dennis Cooke was possibly the Son of Nicholas Cooke of Thorne?
Bapt. 9th May 1759

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hello

Dean's vessel the "Countess of Scarborough" calls at Selby.

Countess of Scarborough
York and Gainsborough Steam Packet
Conveyance and Goods and Passengers to and from York, Selby, and Gainsborough, and all places adjacent to the rivers Trent and Ouse.

Particulars of Freight, &c. may be known on application to
Henry Mills and Son, Wharfingers, York.
Dean & Beaumont, Wharfingers, Gainsboro'

Gainsborough, Oct. 11, 1820.

----------

ADDED, regarding 'Dean and Beaumont' (and for anyone researching George Beaumont of Gainsborough)

Stamford Mercury, 14th November 1817
On the 5th inst. at Gainsboro', much respected, in the 58th year of his age, Mr Beaumont, of the firm of Dean and Beaumont, Wharfingers.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, All Saints Parish Records - Burials 1817 (p.79), currently image 46 on Lincs to the Past, says

No.626. George Beaumont, Wharfinger. Abode, Double Row. When Buried, 9th November. Age, 58. performed by James Fothergill, Vicar.

Claire mentioned, George Beaumont married Anna Calcraft, by Licence 1803.

-----------

A Joseph Dean, Wharfinger of Lincolnshire, married Mary Page, at Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire, 28th (Licence) & 29th December 1788 (Claire & Family Search)

-----------

Calcraft - Dean - Arundel - Marriage links

Hull Packet, 15th October 1805
On the 29th ult. at Gainsborough Church, Mr Joshua Arundel, officer of excise, to Mrs Dean, youngest daughter of Mr John Calcraft, supervisor, of that place.

----------

Hull Packet, 30 May 1815

On Thursday the 18th, at Gainsbro', Mr Johnson, jun. draper, to Miss Hagleby, daughter of Mr Hagleby, farmer, of West Butterwick ; - also, Mr Dean, Wharfinger, to Miss Parkinson, daughter of the late Mr Parkinson, farmer.

Claire has given me this one ... John Dean, merchant to Sarah Parkinson by Licence, witnessed by Wm Ashbon & Mary Ann Bristow. 18th May 1815

----------

January 1788

Joseph Collyer jun'r Hatmaker of 229 Bermondsey Street, Southwark, insured the premises adjoining the River Trent at Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, occupied John Dean, Wharfinger.

Collyer also shows up in the newspaper, when the premises occupied by Mr Dean were offered For Sale.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 27 September 18 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

Looking into Dennis Cook living in one of John Dean's houses at Gainsboroughand a Master of the Nancy in the Newcastle Trade, February 1788 advert and 1789 Gainsborough Ship News, above.

Dennis Cooke of Gainsborough and Thorne

Died April 1803 and listed in The Gentleman's Magazine and Lincs, Yorks, Northumberland & Carlisle newspapers
At Gainsborough, Capt. Dennis Cooke, of the Perseverance Newcastle trader.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Ot_PAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA483&lpg=PA483&dq=Dennis+Cooke+of+Gainsborough&source=bl&ots=VixbtVpclO&sig=6kp20Pse__Se3ZXQNd143BCqjiA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiCw7_8ztHdAhWDErwKHYEPC0sQ6AEwDXoECAcQAQ

All Saints, Gainsborough, 29th April 1784
Dennis Cooke married Mary Porter
Dennis signed as Dennis Cook

Marriage says Dennis Cooke was a Mariner of Thorne, Yorkshire.
Wits Rebekah King and Catharine Hasdell

Dennis Cooke was possibly the Son of Nicholas Cooke of Thorne?
Bapt. 9th May 1759

Mark

Hi Mark,

From your post #72 bottom image Gainsborough ship news date 18th June 1789

Ships leaving Gainsborough

Frendship-Henry Sinclair for London

Nancy - Denis Cook for Newcastle
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 27 September 18 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks dobfarm, Dennis Cooke sailing from Gainsborough, to and from Newcastle has certainly not gone unnoticed.

----------

First, I have to concentrate on John Hood of Selby (older than John Hood, Mariner, aged 23 years when he married Elizabeth Gibson aged 21 years, at Newcastle upon Tyne in December 1779).

Because the HULL Muster Rolls (extract, featured page 7) confirm the Master of the Industry was John Hood, Born Scarbro' and Abode Selby.

When John Dean of Gainsborough died December 1787, his Son and Heir Joseph Dean (Son also confirmed, several newspaper notices) put the Industry up for sale in 1788, he confirmed the Industry was in the "Hull Trade".

So the owner of the Industry sailed earlier by John Hood of Selby, Mariner, from Hull was John Dean in 1787.

----------

This is also why the August 1781 Scarborough St Mary's Banns (no marriage), of a John Hood & Martha Dean are of interest.

----------

Joseph Dean left a Will and I'm awaiting a copy with great interest, about 2 weeks waiting time, left.

Mark

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 27 September 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Ingredients in this cake! of these ship owners and captains fit a lot of your data. 

Dennis (Denis) Cook link with ? or was ? a Newcastle (Trader)

'Cook' that surname connection to George Hood of Selby you have long looked for.

As I said before.

"If the "industry' ship took the morning tide on the 30th Sept 1786 from Hull, called at Newcastle/Gateshead first  en-route London that could have put John Hood on the river Tyne on the 1st October 1786

Scenario
If Martha Dean being Mrs John Hood the boat owners daughter and could be a reason she sailed on board with her baby son George Hood who was baptised 1786.

Scenario 2

Martha Dean (Mrs Hood) maybe was working in connection to the family Dean's Cook docking office (as an agent for the group of boat/ship firm owners) in Gateshead"
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 01 October 18 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hello All

Thanks dobfarm

My quote from last year regarding Richard's letter he got a copy of ...
"The letter dated 1945 from the U.S. written by Mr Chapman of Scarborough and Blackpool, England, G.B., has some pencil notes added by the recipient that my Hoods of Selby were Shipbuilders."

I'm thinking he meant our Hoods were Shipowners.

Been searching the Lloyds Registers at home bit by bit, found Jn Hood from Hull again, in more years back to the 1770s.

London to Greenland, Ships surveyed London 1764 to 1766 (Whaling Industry etc)

Old Providence of London, Lost in the Ice off Greenland 1765, Owner Hood ; Master J. Dryden, 300 Ton'a. [sic]. In Lloyds list this Ship was listed as Lost. ... Providence

Seahorse alias Sea Horse Owner Capt. Hood ; Master N. Wood, 300 Ton'a. [sic]

The Duke of Bedford owner Thos. Hood ; Master Jos. Fisher, 300 Ton'a. [sic]. Also Master Green.

However, the Sea Horse was later Captain J. Clark, but when the ownership changed to Fergusson, the Master was Captain Collison (although not spelt Collinson, but the Register does abbreviate in columns).

Clark and Collinson were two familiar surnames associated to my actual Ancestor George Hood of Selby. Could be coincidences, so tenuous and flimsy, until more Muster Rolls from 1747 to mid 1760s are seen.

----------

Garbett / Garbutt was a Ship Owner at Scarborough.

By the time George Hood acquired the Malt Kiln premises at Selby from John Clarkson of Newport, Eastrington, his Daughter Mary had already married Samuel Arnett Garbutt of Hull in 1825 (link proven in another newspaper BMD Notice). It is early days and have no connection yet of S. A. Garbutt backward to Garbutt of Scarborough.

----------

It is a pity the Muster Rolls are not online. Claimed half of Hull, by the late 18th Century were Seafaring families.

There may be two separate Hood, Merchant Seafaring families operating side by side too.

----------

I have suspicions that one John Hood of Scarbro' might have changed his name to J. Cockburn sailing from Scarbro' (left me thinking of Cockburn-Hood), but no real evidence yet.

However, J. Cockburn's ship Commerce was owned by R. Bullock at Scarbro' 1783, who also had a ship Reward at Gainsborough 1782. Perhaps R. Bullock with links to both those places was a coincidence.

Cockburn was claiming in his book that Thomas Hood who married Nancy Cockburn (b. Feb. 1763) and Hood (and later John Hood) had difficulty with his linking documents to the Cockburn Family with the 'Arms of Cockburn'.

My Father said he felt, we have no official entitlement, to use or bear Arms and there is strict protocol who can rightfully display their Family Coat of Arms, and the other point was that we were Scottish at some point.

Mark

Checking all the documents and tried to update post for clarity

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hello

Another ship involved in the Greenland Trade (in Lloyds Register 1764 to 1766) owned by Capt. Hood (in addition to the three ships mentioned above owned by Hood), was the Henrietta, Master Jos. Bell, built Whitby 1742. [Later a Joseph Bell was recorded as Master of a ship to Greenland].

----------

Thomas Hood ; James Manbey & Leonard Bowles, of London, Merchants, appear in an Act of Parliament of 1755, to be paid a Bounty for the loss of their ships named Elizabeth and Mary ; the Mary and the Argus three ships fitted out by them for the Whale Fishery in 1754, but unavoidably lost in the Greenland Seas.

----------

1789 - John Hood from Greenland to Hull in 1789

In a Hull Muster Roll of 1789, a John Hood was listed as a Seaman on the Sarah & Elizabeth from Greenland (23rd March 1789 - 17th August 1789).

John Hood does possibly appear to be returning from Greenland to Hull, because John Hood's name was missing when the ship left Hull again. Aged about 40, no place of Birth or Abode was stated.

Mark