Author Topic: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)  (Read 21120 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
By a known year of age of George Hood 1815 aged 28 years old marriage to Sarah Russel Selby.

Thus York to Selby to Hull all connected by the river Ouse by boats or inland ships and Knottingley
/Ferrybridge connected by canal from Goole (Large Aire/Calder navigation or the small narrow canal to Selby)

John Hood, his known daughter  Mrs Maudland Turner and Russell's all buzzing about on the waterways above

A George Hood baptism (A port with Newcastle on the river Tyne - ) Gateshead 1786 son of John Hood ( a one off parish register event or only child ever baptised there by John Hood)
 A George Hood Cooper Selby 1812 land tax and later years settles in Selby for his life time.
 A George Hood 1813 Knottingley  land tax (another one off event)

1805 to 1812 George Hood would 18 years old in 1805 and 25 years old in 1812
1807 George aged 20 now coming out of his apprentice time as a skilled cooper
1807 Richard Gibson cooper to 1811/12 in some financial a mess.
1812 George aged 25 now a young man established in Wren lane in Selby from R Gibson as a cooper.

Miss Sarah Russel a Straw hat maker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #64 on: Friday 17 August 18 22:12 BST (UK) »
George Hood, Master of the Providence of Scarborough, sailing from Rotterdam to Leith.

"Leith lies to the north of Edinburgh on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth."

Fulvie the Privateer took The Providence, of Scarborough, Robert Lumley, Master, into Dunkirk and a 300 Guineas Ransom was demanded. The ship owner was Wm Garbett.

Michael Hood, Master, 37, Born Barrow, Abode Morton, sailing the "Satisfaction", Hull to London.
Rob Franklin, Mate, 47, Born Barrow, Abode Hull.
John Wells, Sailor, 25, Born Stockw: , Abode Hull.
Wm Goodyear, Sailor, 21, Born Grenley, Abode Stockwith.
John Naylor, Sailor, 19, Born Hatfield, Abode Stockw: .
Jo: Fillingham, Sailor, 15, Born Crasloon[?], Abode Stockw: .
Tho Smith, Sailor, 30, Born Epworth, Abode Stockw: .
[sic]

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Ship "Brothers" London-Selby-York (possibly from Scarborough)
« Reply #65 on: Monday 20 August 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
According to Lloyds Register the Industry, John Hood [of Selby] 1781 ; 1782 & 1783 was also sailing HL Narva [Hull to Narva], besides London.

Although one Hull Muster Roll says Hull to London, the same Roll also states 14 Voyages 1781 to 1784, for John Hood, Master Mariner, Born Scarborough, Abode Selby and signed John Jefferson for John Hood.

John Jefferson of Scarborough, Mariner, was also John Hood's Marriage Bondsman at Scarborough in 1763, when John Hood, Mariner, married Elizabeth Leppington, Widow (nee Elizabeth Spencer).

The Port of Narva, Russia, is apparently near the Russian border with Estonia.

----------

In 1777 Two Brothers, J. Hood was also sailing Hull to Dublin.

----------

John Hood could of picked his "Jane Hood" up from anywhere and her name could even of been anglicised.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 23 August 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
City of London, Guildhall Library's - Lloyd's List, Maritime News (1740 to 1790 HOOD search)

[NOTE: This does not appear to be a complete List of HOOD Masters & Vessels, mentioned]

HOOD, [no vessel name], published 28th July 1741,
Stockholm --------- Arrived from
-------, Hood       Lynn

HOOD, Henrietta, London Marseilles, published 14th March 1748

HOOD, Lark, 13th February 1749, The Lark, Hood, from London for Virginia, is put into Scilly, all well. 

HOOD, St. Andrew, 29th September 1752, Capt. Colquhun, ... August the 1st ... on the 11th ditto spoke with the St. Andrew, Hood, from Rotterdam for Philadelphia, in Lat. 45 N. ...

HOOD, Minerva, 6th February 1761, Frigate.

HOOD, Minerva, 10th February 1761, Man of War.

HOOD, Indian Queen, 23rd August 1763, Capt, Curling of the Earl of Effingham, ... spoke on the 8th Inst. with the Indian Queen, Hood, from Leverpool[sic] for Newfoundland, in Lat. 45-18N. Longit. 35 W. ... .

HOOD, Lydia, 26th May 1772, The Lydia, Hood, from London, was lost in going into Boston.

HOOD, Commodore, 15th December 1780. The Commodore, Hood, --------, is retaken by the Hydra Man of War, and carried into Cork.

HOOD, Phoenix, 29th May 1781, The Phoenix, Hood, from Cromarty to London, was taken near Aberdeen, and ransomed for 350 Guineas.

HOOD, Industry, 20th July 1781, Industry, Hood.
[John Hood of Selby, born Scarborough, per Hull Muster Rolls].

HOOD, Industry, 28th September 1781,
Esinore-Arrived from
11 Sept. Industry, Hood  Narva.
[Industry, John Hood, sailing Hull Narva, vessel surveyed Hull - Lloyds Register, 1781]

HOOD, Centurion, published 14th October 1788,
Petersburg ------- arrived from
Centurion, Hood       Hull
[Lloyds Register 1789 - J. Hood, surveyed Scarborough. Hewson & Co. / Hull Muster Rolls - Master John Hood, Selby]

HOOD, Hector, 4th November 1788, Captain Dobson, of the Esther, from Cadiz, on the 30th spoke the Hector, Hood, of Cork, from Madeira, in Lat. 36 4 N. Long. 12 30 W. [sic]

HOOD, Hebe, 8th June 1790,
Victory  100 Guns  Ad.Hood
Hebe  38 Guns  Hood

HOOD Admiral, Victory, 8th June 1790, Ship of War 110 Guns.

Got the link from here ...
http://www.ukgdl.org.uk/county/inverness_shire/ships_passengers

'Maritime News' in Lloyd's List (1781) is online
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015004281559;view=1up;seq=5

Interested in any HOOD (Master), sailing to and from the Ports of Leith (Edinburgh) / Rotterdam / Scarborough 1720s onward; 1780 -1800 North Shields, Tynemouth Newcastle upon Tyne, Inverness; to and from Scarborough, Hull - London, Hull - Narva (Russia), Hull - Petersburgh (Russia) and Hull - Memel. Possibly Hull - Riga.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 30 August 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
Some more Master Hood, sailings linked with Hull.

Public Ledger and Daily Advertiser, 18th January 1814
SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE
ARRIVED- ... At Revel, Bell, Hood, from Hull.

Tyne Mercury, Northumberland and Durham and Cumberland Gazette, 25th April 1820
MARINE NEWS
NEWCASTLE. Arrived coastwise- Elbs, Buckton ; and Perseverance, Hood, from Hull ; ...

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 01 September 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hello

I realise this "Captain James Hood of the Sloop Lizard of Inverness" (died 1819) is likely unrelated to my Hood, but was interested due to what I have discovered about him, James Hood Married to Ann Hood but having no Contract of Marriage, where his money was and his vessel connections to more than one place.

Lloyds Register of 1818 summarised - Lizard, J. Hood, Berwick, Inverness Co, Lh Inverness.
Lh = Leith (1818 Abbreviations - Lloyds Register)

I may have made a mistake previously regarding the Survey Port of the vessels, it seems in this 1818 Register the Survey Port was the abbreviated place in Column 8, Lh = Leith.

Very Summary Notes of the Testament Dative and Inventory of the Ross Commissary Court
 ... "Captain James Hood of the Sloop Lizard of Inverness" who died 1819. Thomas Bain Farmer [place unrecognised] only accepting Trustee nominated by James Hood ... Deed of Settlement executed by him at Cromarty 2nd September 1819 ...

Inventory
Household items worth £28, 14 shillings.
Item £(amount stated) receipted and held by the Governor and Company of the Bank of Scotland, granted by Alexander Anderson Esq'r their Agent at Inverness [?] [word / abbreviation after Inverness not recognised]
I James Hood Shipmaster in Cromarty and I Anne Hood Spouse of the said James Hood ...
been no Contract of Marriage Entered into by us, and no children procreated of the Marriage between us ...
reference to the preventing of disputes ...
 ... Spouse ... liferent use only ...
 ... and to John Hood my Brother ...
 ... several pages ... other names ...
 ... another (2nd?) Trustee named ...
 ... witnesses (named) ... 
 ... reference to James Thomson Merchant in Cromarty ...

Grave at East Church, Cromarty 
James Hood late Shipmaster in Cromarty who Departed this life 6th Nov'r 1819 aged 51 years this Stone is Placed Here to his memory by his Spouse Ann Watson
Also interred here the remains of ANN WATSON spouse to Ja Hood she departed this life the 2nd May 1827 aged 61 years

142.0 S

General Observations
I was particularly fascinated, because the Captain and Vessel has connections with four places (before he has sailed anywhere):-
James Hood Shipmaster of Cromarty, but his vessel was of Inverness
James Hood had a spouse, but never married her
Seems a Testamentary Dative was no Will, but left a Deed of Settlement
His Agent at Inverness placed a large of sum of money with the Bank (added to the Inventory) just before his death
Lloyds Register suggests his Vessel was surveyed Lh [Leith] and a connection with Inverness Co.
The Vessel had some connection with the Port of Berwick about 1817-1818.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 02 September 18 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have been looking for Thomas Hewson of Hull, who signed the Muster Rolls for John Hood of the Centurion 1788 to 1790.

A recap on the Muster Rolls

Muster Rolls - Copied into Volumes by Trinity House, Hull 1784 to 1790
These give Ages, Place of Birth and Abode.

John HOOD, Master Mariner, born Scarborough
According to all the Muster Rolls, John Hood, Master of the "Industry" to and from London 1781 - 1786 was born Scarbro' about 1740 and his Abode was recorded as either Hull or Selby until 1786.

John Jefferson has also signed some of these Muster Rolls for Master, John Hood.

John Jefferson, Mariner was John Hood's Marriage Bondsman in 1763 at Scarborough.

John HOOD, Master Mariner, of the Centurion
According to the Muster Rolls when John Hood was Master of the "Centurion" sailing to and from Petersburgh and elsewhere 1788 to 1790, the Rolls were signed by Thos Hewson and not by John Hood personally and Thos Hewson has entered born Selby in the first Roll (these age ranges give birth about 1739 to 1743) and his Abode was Hull (April 1788 & 1790) and Selby (Sept. 1788).

I suspect the birthplace of John HOOD, Master of the "Centurion" born Selby, was an error by Thos Hewson, when comparing it with Selby Parish Register and the earlier Muster Rolls of the Industry where John Hood had signed the originals personally and entered born Scarbro'.

----------

Thomas Hewson
According to adverts in the Hull newspaper they were known as Hewson & Co. Thomas Hewson died 1812.

Stamford Mercury, 14th February 1812
Last week, at York, aged 77, Mr. Hewson, father to Mr. George Hewson, wharfinger, of Hull.

Stamford Mercury, 11th September 1812
STANLEY's HULL AND LOUTH TRADERS
 ...  and that every facility and accomodation will continue to be afforded, as well in the loading and unloading as in the care and preservation of goods, at the wharf of G. Hewson and Co. Hull, and my wharf at the River Head, Louth, where my vessels will be constantly and regularly laid for receiving ...
Louth, 7th Sept. 1812. John Stanley

Newspaper reference to the Will of Thomas Hewson of York, formerly of Hull

Hull Advertiser and Exchange Gazette, 6th March 1813
We understand that the trustees under the will of Mr. Thomas Hewson, of York, and formerly of this place, have paid into the hands of the Treasurer to the General Infirmary 100l. being a legacy left to that charity. Also to the Mayor and Burgesses, 100l. the interest of which is to be laid out in bread, and divided among the poor of the two parishes of the town, at the discretion of the Ministers and Churchwardens.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Captain John Hood, Two Brothers, London-Selby-York (born Scarborough)
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hello

Looks like, I have been looking at the wrong John Jefferson deaths.

In my Reply #65 John Jefferson (according to Lloyds Register 1781 to 1783) appears to be the owner of Industry, that John Hood of Selby (born Scarborough), was Master of. (See also Hull Trinity House, Muster Rolls to confirm the link).

Claire has found that this John Jefferson of York, Gentleman, who died between 11th September 1804 & 15th December 1804 when the Will was first Proved at York, had shares in Ships and Vessels.

PCC Will of John Jefferson, Gentleman of York, Yorkshire
9th January 1805
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D373004

John Jefferson's Trustees were:-
John Brook, City of York, Gent,
Jefferson's Son John Jefferson and
Richard Jefferson.

Interesting that a William Brooks (newspaper 19th November 1776 under Hull) was Master of a Vessel called Industry.

Also that a William Brooke at Selby had got a set of Ships together in 1778 which listed the Captains both John Hood and John Jefferson and several of the named Vessels were linked to both Masters J. Jefferson & J. Hood, sailing to and from Hull, according to newspapers.

So I am hoping John Jefferson (Will Proved 1804/1805) is, or will turn out to be linked to John Jefferson of the Industry, whose Master circa 1781 to 1786 was John Hood of Selby, Mariner, born Scarborough.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 09 September 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
George Hood, Master of the Providence of Scarborough, sailing from Rotterdam to Leith.

"Leith lies to the north of Edinburgh on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth."

Fulvie the Privateer took The Providence, of Scarborough, Robert Lumley, Master, into Dunkirk and a 300 Guineas Ransom was demanded. The ship owner was Wm Garbett.

Michael Hood, Master, 37, Born Barrow, Abode Morton, sailing the "Satisfaction", Hull to London.
Rob Franklin, Mate, 47, Born Barrow, Abode Hull.
John Wells, Sailor, 25, Born Stockw: , Abode Hull.
Wm Goodyear, Sailor, 21, Born Grenley, Abode Stockwith.
John Naylor, Sailor, 19, Born Hatfield, Abode Stockw: .
Jo: Fillingham, Sailor, 15, Born Crasloon[?], Abode Stockw: .
Tho Smith, Sailor, 30, Born Epworth, Abode Stockw: .
[sic]

Mark

Hello All

Providence, Owner Hood - Lloyds Register 1764 to 1766 - marked "Lost"
According to Lloyds Register covering the years 1764 to 1766, a 300 ton Vessel called "Providence" ; Master J. Dyden; Port - Lond. ; To Port - Greenland ; Owner HOOD out ; 1764 EM ; 1765 EM ; 1766 out ; is reported as "Lost".

I would have posted a column title & relevant strip, but it has Images © Lloyd’s Register Group Limited, 2016., but you can view the 1764 to 1766 Lloyds Register here and then by clicking on P (Vessel, Providence).

http://www.lrfoundation.org.uk/public_education/reference-library/1764-register-book/

The Providence, of Scarborough, Owner Wm Garbett (1758)
The Providence, of Scarborough had been owned by William Garbett / William Garbutt in 1758 when a 300 Guineas ransom was demanded for her.

Garbutt ; Esthill & Huntriss Graves at Scarborough
William Garbutt, Mariner, of Scarborough died 1763 and Garbutts have Table Tomb Graves at Scarborough St Mary's. Next Graves are Table Tomb of George Estill and two George Estels (all dying in the 1750s) and Table Tomb of Joseph Huntress & Elizabeth Huntriss (dying 1786 & 1805).

It was claimed that Garbutt of Scarborough was originally a Quaker in the 17th Century.

With those surnames Esthill and Huntriss we are in familiar territory with discussions on the Richard Hood of Catton and another Hood Board, mentioning John Hood a Wedding guest at the Quaker Wedings of Benjamin Peacock marrying Martha Esthill, and Edmund Belton marrying Eliz. Esthill, in 1777.

Susanah Hood & Jo Huntriss witnesses here ... 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752071.msg6215144#msg6215144

Ann Hood, Widow, Hull, 1799 Will
According to the Will Ann Hood, (Houde of Morton) late of Morton, Gainsborough, she mentions Garbutt.

Research suggests Ann Hudson had married Michael Hood at Barrow upon Humber 31st January 1744, who was a Mariner (baptised 1710, Age calculated from Hull Muster Rolls), so he might have acquired the Providence?

1741 Garbutt & Huntriss, Marriage
Seems there was a Garbutt & Huntriss link. William Garbutt married Elizabeth Huntriss at Scarborough October 1741. Not seen document/s (Garbutt, aged 22 & Huntriss, aged 21).

Hoping all this will lead me to some more information about the 18th Century Hood Mariners including George Hood of Scarborough, Mariner and a possible tie up to George Hood of Selby?

Mark