Author Topic: Martin family/Huguenot/Picardie/Spitalfields  (Read 3549 times)

Offline hilary14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin family/Huguenot/Picardie/Spitalfields
« on: Wednesday 30 September 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
I have linked my family to Huguenot Martins as follows:
George Martin 1828-1918   married Sophia Davis
David Martin 1779 - 1855   married Mary Gough
Isaac Martin 1739 - ?   married Elizabeth Cretee
Isaiah/Esaie Martin 1710 - 1783 married Susanne Verru
Jacques Martin (1683 - 1740) married Marie Beaucourt
Esaie Martin (1632 - 1702) married Marie Desmarets

While I have evidence from the French Protestant Hospital records for Isaac Martin/Elizabeth Cretee, I am wondering how others have found evidence of the links to Esaie Martin/Marie Desmarets?

Any help would be very welcome.
Thanks
Hilary

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Martin family/Huguenot/Picardie/Spitalfields
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 October 15 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Hilary, and welcome to Rootschat

The Huguenot Martin family are not mine, but I've had a look through the various Huguenot Society transcript CDs I have and also at Jean Paul Roelly's very good Huguenots of Piccardy website (www.roelly.org), but can see nothing that confirms that Jacques Martin (who married Marie Beaucourt) was the son of Esaie Martin and Marie Desmarets.  Jean Paul's website doesn't even suggest they had a son named Jacques and Jacques own application for the French Hospital says he was born in Amiens but there is no evidence to confirm if Esaie and Marie ever lived in Amiens as well as in Oisemont and Sénarpont. 

One of Esaie and Marie's daughters did indeed emigrate to London and married there, but that could simply be a coincidence.  If you have a look at Jean Paul Roelly's website, there are a lot of people with the name Martin in Piccardy.  Similarly there are a number who joined the Threadneedle Street French Church according to the Tresmoignanges transcript published by the Huguenot Society.  Unfortunately Jacques Martin attended the Artillery Street church in Spitalfields where the Tresmoignanges records have not survived. 

If you've seen this connection to Esaie Martin on a certain person's ancestry tree, he does seem to have creatively connected the families as far as I can see, possibly because one of the godparents to Jacques Martin and Marie Boucourt's son Isaac Louis baptism was a Marie Demarest.  Normally female godparents listed in French Reform Church records are listed under their maiden name, but not always as I've several entries from the Threadneedle Street records listed under their married names.  While its a possible clue, there is no other sign of Marie Demarest in the Artillery Church in Spitalfields records as far as I can see and neither does she appear in the Threadneedle Street records.  While the godparents were often relatives, she could simply have been a friend.

Its not impossible that Jacques Martin was the son of Esaie and Marie Desmarets, but there does not appear to be any evidence to actually confirm this, unless someone else can find something.  You could try contacting the ancestry public tree owner, if that's where you have seen the connection, but as he seems to be just simply typing up information from Jean Paul Roelly's website and French Church records in London, I doubt he has any evidence as it would most likely be listed but may be worth a try.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 11:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for pointing me towards this thread Smudwhisk, I have been very busy with another project and unable to answer until now.

I am descended from this line through Jacques Martin, born 1714, son of Jacques Martin and Marie Beaucourt. He described his father as a native of Picardy.

Jacques Martin senior appears twice on the Royal Bounty records 1727-9:

"Jacques Martin, 44, of Picardy, his wife, 43, and 4 children, all under 14 years"

"Jacques Martin, of Abbeville, 46 years, Weaver, his wife and 5 infants, Spitalfields, 16 Pounds, 18 Shillings, 0 Pence"

When his son Essaye Martin, born 1710,  died in the French Hospital in 1788 he described himself as the son of Jaques Martin of Amiens in Picardy. When another son Guilluame Martin, born 1718, died in the same charitable institution five years later he described their father as 'Jaques Martin born at Snerpon [i.e Senarpont] in Picardy, who left France for cause of religion'.

So all the sources agree he was from Picardy, though give conflicting places of origin, Amiens, Senarpont and Abbeville. Senarpont is a small village equidistant between the two more major population hubs of Abbeville and Amiens in the Somme district of France. It is not uncommon in the English records for the nearest big town to be supplied, because as you can see the clerks of the French church in England were often from more established second or third generation families and were not always familiar with the smaller locations and their spellings.

I have little doubt that a Magdeleine Martin, born circa 1678 and married to Joseph Terraube in London 1722 was a relative, almost certainly a sibling, as she describes herself on this marriage   as a 'Native of Senerpoint [sic] in Picardy, daughter of the late Esaie Martin and Marie Desmarets'. Joseph Terraube stands as godfather to the youngest child of Jacques Martin and Marie Beaucourt, eleven months after his wedding. Her sister Susanne Martin had married at the same church seven years earlier to Daniel Bouy. Daniel also stands as a godfather to a child of Jacques Martin and Marie Beaucourt,in his case a year and a half after his marriage. Susanne was a godmother to an earlier child of theirs.

Susanne was baptised on 15th March 1669 at the Oisemont Protestant Temple, the nearest protestant congregation to Senarpont, as the daughter of Isaye MARTIN and Marie DESMARESTS with godparents  Noel MATREL, a gentleman, and Suzanne DEPARIS. The  couple had married at the temple  on 6th June 1668, and also baptised a son Isaac Martin there in 1671 with godparents Isaac LE GRAND and Magdeleine (Marguerite) BEAURAIN.

The Huguenot churches were not closed or demolished overnight, in fact it was a slow and gradual process from 1661-1685. The majority, something like 80% had already been closed or demolished by the time of the revocation. I believe the Oisemont temple was closed by Royal decree sometime after 1671, (I do have the exact date somewhere). This is why baptisms don't exist there for the couples younger children Magdeleine and Jacques, who from the London records appear to have both been born in the period 1678-1683.

After fleeing to England the family were first members of the Huguenot congregation based in Canterbury, Kent. The father Isaye/Easie Martin was buried there in May 1702. Susanne joined the Threadneedle Street congregation with a testimony of faith from the Canterbury congregation.

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 11:03 BST (UK) »
On the marriage of Isaye Martin and Marie Desmarest in France 1668, her parents are described as Pierre Desmarets and Susanne Lucas.  (Note: In London the Godparents of a son born 1711 to Jacques Martin and Maire Beaucourt are a Louis Lucas and Marie Demarest.) This identifies her as Marie Desmarets who was born circa 1638 at Prévillers, Picardie, and the younger sister of Etienne Desmarets who married Marie Lucas his maternal cousin. That couple also fled to England, and their children and spouses also appear as godparents to the children of Jacques Martin and Marie Beaucourt.

The Desmarets or De Marest family derive their name from the small village of Marest (Now the twin towns of Oust Marest and Ponts et Marais) approximately 16 miles to the north of Senarpont. During the early 15th century and the wars with England, a Charles Desmarets, Knight of France, used the Chateau de Rambures as his base, located just outside Oisemont. This was the building which later became used as the Oisemont Temple.

Lambert Desmarets of Oisemont was influential in establishing the congregation, attending early reformed assemblies held at the home of Antoine de Croÿ, 1st Prince of Porcéan, and he represented the Oisemont congregation  at the  Synod of Montcornet in 1562 in the same year the French religous wars first broke out.

Lambert's son David Desmarets, became lord of Feret, and was Civil Lietuenant of Oisemont and the town magistrate. He succeded his father as the elder pastor of the Oisemont congregation. His own son Samuel Des Marets, (baptised at the Oisemont Temple in August 1599) achieved widespread fame in the following Century as a Protestant Theologian known by the Latinised version of his name 'Maresius'. Also a  pastor, he was responsible for an early and greatly influential translation of the Bible into French (published 1629).

How Pierre Des Marets, born circa 1610, father of Etienne and Marie, relates to the above men is not known for certain, but the Oisemont congregation was relatively small, a congregation of a few hundred, so it is likely he is closely related, and he was possibly a younger brother of Maresius.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline hilary14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 October 15 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Smudwhisk and Richarde1979 for your very detailed replies to my post.  Apologies for not replying before.  I am new to this forum.

As I said in my original post, I am interested in tracing my Martin ancestors in Picardie.  I am going there next week and plan to visit Senarpont, Oisemont and Ouest-Marest/Ponts-et-Marais as well as the Chateau de Rambures (thanks Richard the Desmarets history).  Can anyone guide me as to any other buildings to see in these places?

I also hope to go to the Archives de la Somme in Amiens and would appreciate any tips as to which records would help with tracing Jacques Martin's family if anyone has knowledge of the system.  Will have limited time but might be able to help anyone else with a query.

Offline Nathan33

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 December 17 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hilary14 Hi my name is Nathan Newingham and I have recently begun the ancestry search. I came across your post while searching. My 9th Great Grandfather was Esaie Martin. I was hoping to get any information you may have on The martin Family before Esaie Martin if possible?