Author Topic: marriage details  (Read 12096 times)

Offline MJackson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re:marriage details
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 11 October 15 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hello from Australia.I've just joined Rootschat, so hope you'll see this one day? I can see why you are having difficulty solving this problem! Alice was my grandfather's youngest sister,Alice Katherine Jane, born Berrima NSW 1876.Her father was a policeman,Thomas Heagney married to Margaret Ryan 1858 in Carlow. Ireland,emigrated same year to Sydney. Thomas died 1894 and Margaret 1890.Alice married Montague Albert Bowman in Sydney 1901,had 2 sons Arthur John 1902, Montague Harold 1904.Montague. She was a housekeeper for Murray Boswood when she had Frederick by him in 1908. Her husband  seems to have been very unstable(can see his photo in Darlinghurst Gaol on NSW State Records webpage for a misdemeanour when he was 18-too long a story to tell here!).Years ago another researcher told me she'd found that when Frederick Heagney Bowman(how he was registered)got his birth cert to join the RAAF for WW2 he changed his name to his faher 's Boswood. Frederick died 1980 in Echuca, Victoria. As for Alice, I suspect the 1915 death cert is hers even though her mother is listed as Elizabeth instead of Margaret.The informant probably didn't know her well enough, but at least got her father Thomas correct. Police Gazettes for1911,1912 have warrants for Montague as he wasn't paying any maintenance and I also read that he went as a cook on a ship to U.S.  He remarried Dorothy Gertrude Simpson and had a daughter,Carmen after he came back from WW1. Died by his own hand 1943 in Burwood, Sydney and buried with headstone, Rookwood Cemetery,Sydney. Are you related to the Bowmans or Boswoods ?Margaret

Offline mummy25

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: marriage details
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 03 April 16 06:41 BST (UK) »
Hi MJackson,  thanks so much for posting about Alice Heagney.  That story fills in the missing links for my research.  I'm not sure about the details on Montague though.  I have Alice marrying Montague Arthur Bowman born 1876 to John and Elizabeth and you mention Albert William Montague Bowman who I think is a different person possibly born in 1884 to Helen. Maybe the two mens stories have merged.

I have Montague Arthur marrying Alice, going to jail and working out on a boat but that is where the trail ends for me.

Regards

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 October 16 11:19 BST (UK) »
Have heard from another researcher,Montague Bowman didn't marry Dorothy Simpson,join army and commit suicide. It was his nephew with a similar name, so still don't know what became of Montague.Maybe o/seas?

Also discovered that the Alice C Bowman who died 1915 in Woolahra was 70 and C was for Clara. My Alic would only have been about 39 in 1915 and also middle names were Katherine Jane.

Messages posted on behalf of MJackson who was clicking on the "report to moderator" button instead of the reply button, you will find this just below the last reply ;)

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 October 16 12:00 BST (UK) »
I believe that you will find the Alice Clara Bowman - wife of James here:

http://austcemindex.com/?given_names=Alice&family_name=Bowman

The chap who married Dorothy was Albert Montague, as opposed to Montague Albert. His death notice:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article17837863

Death:

36646/1964 Harold Montague Bowman parents Montague and Alice HAMILTON

Birth registration for Alice:

8394/1876 Alice C J Heagney parents Thomas and Margarite BERRIMA

Marriage: 6585/1901 Montague A Bowman to Alice C J Heagney GLEBE

Note in both case it is C and not K.

Jamjar

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline MJackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 02:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, Jamjar. I realise Alice's middle name was with a C, but I have 2 grandmothers registered at birth as Catherine and one died as Kathleen and both sometimes called Kate or Kit, so have seen it written both ways for Alice. I have Catherine as a middle name after them! The point I was trying to make to researchers who put Alice's death as 1915 is that she had a completely different middle name ,Clara, and also was almost twice her age.
BTW, this week I found my Alice's son by Murray Albert Boswood, Frederick Albert Boswood born 1908 Newtown,Sydney,, buried 14.11.1980 in an RAAF grave in Patho Victoria, through Gravestone Photographs.He's the only one in the grave, but his wife and 4 children's names are there. The Gravestones Project had that his parents were Murray Albert and Alice Boswood, so I thought I'd found Alice after all these years, but Charles Sale who runs the Project contacted the transcriber,Susan Doyle who has just emailed me to say she got the parents' names from the cemetery record. I don't think Murray ever married Alice as he's buried in Karrakatta Cemetery,WA ,with wife Katheline (yes, that's how it was spelt!) I've found, in NSW BDM, an Alice Bowman married to an Alfred Bond in Sydney 1917 and as I have a visiting card from my g/mother's collection with "John and Mary Bond, Maryville,Goulburn,"on it, think this might be a lead. However, in 1923 there's an Alice Bond getting a Decree Absolut against Alfred Bond, granted September 1924(from TROVE). Then there's an Alice Bond marrying a Stanley Williams in 1929, so the hunt continues! Are you related to this Heagney line? My grandfather Francis Joseph Heagney(1871 Berrima-1919 Perth WA) was Alice's brother.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 11 October 16 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

You mention that you don't think that Murray ever married Alice as he is buried in Karrakatta Cemetery WA with wife Katheline.   You also mention that Frederick Albert BOSWOOD was born 1908, Newtown NSW and that The Gravestones Project has his parents as Murray Albert and Alice BOSWOOD. 

In NSW BDM, the civil birth registration was informant driven of course, and included details of when/where the parents of the baby were married, and mum's nee name.  From that information you can then research for that marriage. Of course, it may well be that Murray was not named on Frederick's birth registration.  In that era, the usual reason would be because the mother was unmarried, (so not married to any person a 'spinster' or a 'divorcee' or 'widow').   Perhaps the NSW BDM online index is pointing to Alice BOSWOOD being her nee name, or perhaps her known by name.  Her status should be noted on the bdm registration.

Frederick A,
no father's name displayed
mother as Alice BOSWOOD and as Alice BOWMAN and as Alice HEAGNEY 
registered Sydney # 301/1908   (indexed three times)

ADD
Vic BDM has 
Alice BOSWOOD, aged 29 died 1911, at Hoth E  #1714
Father as Murray BOSWOOD,
Mother as Alice Hazel UNKNOWN.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.