Author Topic: marriage details  (Read 12105 times)

Offline MC

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: marriage details
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Joy

THE BIG FINISH...

Sorry but something happened again, it got posted before I even had time to preview it!
But here goes before it disappears again.

I found another reference for that birth of Frederick. It was also registered under BOWMAN surname...all exactly the same except for the different surnames.
Birth Certificates usually site names of previous children born.
Cheers Maureen
Down, Ire: Rourke;
Armagh, Ire: Quinn, Read;
London, Eng: Clunne;
Kent, Eng: Clunne, Outred, Piplar;

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 02:39 BST (UK) »
I've just found a whole bunch of BOSWOODs on the Tasmanian Family Link database at the Tas Archives!  Parents Alfred BOSWOOD and Priscilla BRAIN.  There is an Arthur christened 1878.

If you would like the full ref please PM me - otherwise check out the link yourself at:  http://resources.archives.tas.gov.au/Pioneers/taslink3.asp?ID=22855

Cheers!
Prue

Offline boswood/bowman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: details confirmed
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 02:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maureen,

This is great,  being actually able to find out anything.

I have made a mistake re: my original date of marriage of Murray A. Boswood and Alice Bowman.  I now think it would more likely to be anywhere between 1900 and 1907. Still supposed to be in NZ.

Your last email confirmed what we though was correct.  Frederick A Boswood was born to Alice Bowman (do not know middle initial or if there even was one) on his original birth certificate.  He was born in 1908.  He needed to get a birth certificate at some time probably when he was around 30- 40 years old.  He had his name changed to Boswood as he knew his father to be Murray A. Boswood.   Frederick A. had a falling out with his father and apparently left home in his early teen years.  This would make the year anything from 1921 onwards.  He was told his mother was Alice Bowman and that she had died but his father never told him where the grave site was. She apparently was the housekeeper but we do not know if they actually married. He could never remember his mother. This may have been the reason he left home so early.
While he was living at home his father remarried.  There"Bunny"
After Frederick  took to the roads he lost contact with them.  
He did have contact much later with them and I believe they were in WA at that stage.
I do not know whether Alice Bowman actually died or whether she just disappeared from Frederick's life.
Frederick never really spoke very much about his family and said things were better left alone, which makes me think something must have happened between the family.
I would like to know what happened to his sister/brothers ?

Regards  -   Joy
Frederick finished up in Victoria.  He was in the RAAF in the 2nd WW.  

Offline boswood/bowman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 July 05 04:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Maureen,

Seems I am having trouble now.  Just had another look at my last email to you.

Half way down email it seems to have disappeared.  It should read:

Frederick definetely had step sisters.  One had a nickname of "Bunny".

Joy

Offline MC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Joy

Regards your Frederick Boswood.
If you haven't already done it, you can pull up his war records on 'WW2 Nominal Roll'. His next of kin is given as his father Murray Boswood. His date of birth 1908 & he enlisted in 1941 - so he was 33 yrs old then. He was in the Royal Australian Air Force...may have been in Army...they sometimes left one to go to the other, but I never checked this...leave it to you.

Plus Wickham is in Newcastle not Taree as I said...I was thinking of Wingham.

As for your Cornell's. I only have access up to 1888 for Victoria. Our library has all the Victorian BDM's that go further, but you should be able to access these for yourself, if you live close to a library, if it has a family history section.

If not ,you can scan BDM's on the Victorian BDM's online, but there is a charge for this...$10 to scan I think, then if you buy one, it is more.

I happened to go to the library today as I needed to see my friend Nanette who is the book buyer there. While there I had about 10 mins to check out any names for you.

The earliest Marshall Cornell that I could find, being born, was to a Thomas Cornell & Rebecca Alcock at Oakleigh, Victoria in 1890 (35144) -  Rebecca Alcock married Thomas Cornell at Tarneit Vic in 1886 (3689V) - they also had a son Charles b1887 Oakleigh Vic (22357) & another son Edward b 1888 O'Leigh (sic., this must be Oakleigh also) Vic ...I never took the Reg # for him.

There was also a thomas Cornell b 1859 to a John & Sarah (Hichman) at Vic (18435)
An Edward cornell died 60yrs old son of Chas cornell & Eliza Bird at Hawthorn 1896 (2137)

I sense at least that Thomas & Rebecca will be connected to you in some way.

It's best to work backwards from certificates where you can - as it is necessary to prove it. You were a bit lucky getting me on the Boswood line as I was just passing through. I am pretty experienced with NSW BDM & know how to get the best from it. That one was probably a little difficult for some to solve...I used folio numbers instead of names.

That's it hope it is of some help.
Maureen

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 28 July 05 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Joy

The following are from the victorian indexes and maybe connected to your Frederick.

Deaths
Boswood Alice
Died aged 20 Hotham E
Parents: Murray Boswood & Hazel Alice UNKNOWN
Year: 1911 reg no. 1714

Death
Boswood Louisa
Died: aged Nil  Age code: Month Hotham E
Parents: Henry Boswood & Hazel Alice UNKNOWN
Year: 1911 reg no. 1723

Birth
Boswood Mina
born: Hothan E
Parents: Murray & Alice HAZEL
Year 1911 reg no. 4172

My theory is that Mina & Louisa refer to the same child and Alice is the mother and died after giving birth.  The Parents referenced against Alice could be incorrect as the indexes have lots of inaccuracies.

The birth certificate for Mina could be the key as Frederick would be listed as would the marriage place and date.

Cheers

Genni

All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline MC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 July 05 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Genni

Obviously some details I have sent to Joy do not show up on the Board, so I don't know if you are aware of what I found re Alice Heagney, Bowman, Boswood, or not.

Your find it interesting, in that it gives details for a Murray Boswood & Alice (Hazel?), having children in Victoria as late as 1911 - by the way, that suggests to me that the first two, Alice & Louisa, were twins...perhaps they died at birth. The reason for this theory is because the Reg#'s run consecutively i.e. 1713 & 1714.

It's possible the twins were born at the beginning of the year & that Mina was born at the end, i.e. Reg # is 4174

If Alice was still in Victoria by 1911 then it's possible that she did die there...so I would look for an Alice Bowman or Heagney death as well as Boswood, - with parents names Thomas &  Margaret/Margarite, (Heagney) & her birth place NSW...as it may turn out that the one who died 1915 in NSW was just a coincidence.

Although all things need to be proved, I believe that Alice was Alice C J Heagney born Berrima NSW in 1876

Frederick would have been born under Bowman surname with maiden name of mother Heagney - & later Boswood would have been added.

Maureen

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 28 July 05 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen

No the deaths are not consectutive, One is 1714 and the other is 1723.  Alice is aged 29 years and Louisa is between a day and a month old, no age is given only a age code of a month. 
The birth registration for Mina is only early in the year as were over 30,000 birth registrations in 1911.

I note that Lavina (Leavina) BOSWOOD (she was born in Ballarat) died in Victoria in 1933.  Her father was Patrick FLOOD and she had been married to John JOHNSON in 1896 and then William ARMSTRONG in 1909.

Her sons John Joseph JOHNSON & James Joseph JOHNSON served in the WW1.  She also had a daughter Ethel JOHNSON.

Cheers

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline sheddyg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 July 05 10:56 BST (UK) »
I am also researching Bowman and just wondered whether the following rings any bells with you.

Teresa Bowman b. abt 1858 Ireland (possibly Tipperary or Dublin)
married (age16/ spinster/servant) 2nd Sept 1874 Invercargill NZ (Catholic Church) to William Hargreaves - also from Ireland

5 children all born NZ, then 1884 6th child born Glebe NSW Aus.

sheddyg
TOLLIT,middx,oxon BRUNNER, oxford,birmingham
STEER,middx,warcs,monmouth,CHAMBERLAIN,middx,NETTLEFOLD
COOPER,leics, bristol,  GOODRICH,leics
MILLS, bucks, WIGGINTON,eton
BISHOPdevon,aus,HAMBLY,cornwall, 
HARGREAVES,irelandto nz & aus, BOWMAN,ireland to nz & aus
BIDDLECOMBE Hants              
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ROSS Scotland