Author Topic: Passenger/Crew List for Whaler "Hanseat" arrived in South Australia 31 Oct 1844  (Read 2411 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger/Crew List for Whaler "Hanseat" arrived in South Australia 31 Oct 1844
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 October 15 07:18 BST (UK) »
You best bet is to search Trove for newspaper reports. I would be surprised if the SA library held crew lists. You could try the SAGHS library (or Genealogy SA or whatever they call themselves these days). They might be able to suggest another source. Just be prepared; they charge for everything.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Fred54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello Westy11,
I, like you, are searching for information about Hans Lorenz, my great Grandfather, who settled in Avenel Victoria after marrying Mary Heffernan.
I am very excited to have read the results from the questions you have posed about him here on rootschat.
I also have a copy of Hans' naturalisation documentation, and it seems that the Hans Lorenz, whose parents are Nommel and Wibcher (excuse spelling, but it seems to be spelt a different way with every generation - it was my mother's second name-) is the man I have been looking for.
Our family believed that Great Grandfather was also known as 'Jack the Dane', and he certainly was well renowned for his butter. He listed his occupation in Australia as dairy farmer, and sadly he met his end by sustaining severe burns when his nightshirt caught fire from a candle at aged 91.
Do you know any more about how he arrived in Australia yet? Members of my family believe his brother was also aboard that ship, but I have no evidence of this.
I have been to Schleswig Holstein, but was unable to find out anything about him there.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Fred  :)

Welcome to rootschat  :)

Hopefully Westy will have notifications turned on.

For Westy -

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs260.aspx

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello Fred,

Great to 'meet' you.  Hans is my 2nd great grandfather.  I would love to send you a PM [private message] but you apparently need to make another 2 posts???  But I could be wrong.

Cando - how many posts does Fred need to make in order to both send and receive a PM???

Westy :)

Offline Fred54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Trove articles relating to the Hanseat are very interesting - good to see Hans Lorenz was not listed as one of the mutineers, but then it seems difficult to then find any further immigration information about him.
I see Hans Lorenz born 1825 listed on a 'virtual Australian immigrant' site, with no mention of a brother, so perhaps the family hearsay about the brothers being together is not true.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello Fred,

I put Hans up on the Virtual Immigration site.

As a matter of interest did you previously post when you were in Denmark?

Westy

Offline Fred54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Do you have any information about how he finished up in Kilmore and later Avenel?

No I did not post when I was in Denmark - I am curious to know more about Thomas Lorenz who was searching in Hamburg.....

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thomas never got back in touch with me unfortunately...

Westy