Author Topic: Whereabouts of the DRAIN family  (Read 9779 times)

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whereabouts of the DRAIN family
« on: Friday 02 October 15 10:03 BST (UK) »
Doing friends husbands family tree and looking for the DRAIN family some of whom were living in Dunloy, Co Antrim in the 1930's/1940's.  There were 11 children and I have searched high and low and cannot find births etc for any of them. Some are still living but HUGH DRAIN (1933-2015) is recently deceased - still can't find his birth.  His father was Hugh as well and came from Glasgow, according to the family.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with at least some evidence of a birth? Had hoped to  leapfrog back to the 1911 and 1901 census but completely stuck!! thanks Rose H

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whereabouts of the DRAIN family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 October 15 10:11 BST (UK) »
Not sure where you tried searching but the birth records you are looking for are too recent to be found online.
The online civil registration index at www.familysearch.org only goes up to 1921 for Northern Ireland counties. GRONI's online index has a 100 year restriction for births.

The Catholic Parish Registers for Dunloy are now online but do not even come to 1900-
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0406
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 15 10:15 BST (UK) »
I think by asking the question i formulated some of my own answers. Looked at 1911 census and have found a DRAIN family with all the right christian names and a Hugh born in Glasgow - James DRAIN , age 47, Farmer of house 20 in Caldanagh, Dunloy with family including Hugh, age 18 born in Glasgow. Will follow this up BUT still puzzled why I can't find Hugh's marriage and births of his children in the 30's and 40's so would still appreciate someone else looking.  thanks

(just read post by Aghadowey - didn't realise I couldn't search for recent births in Northern Ireland - so used to doing it for English births).  Will continue to follow up the census return I have found.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 October 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes, Hugh Drain the father is in the 1901 Census in Ireland, he was 7 and as you say in Dunloy.
They are in house number 1, this means the first house on the census for that area, it may be a mile away from the next house, but not as we number hoses in the UK. Also there is another Hugh Drain in House number 5.
Your Hugh was born in Glasgow. (there are 7 Hugh Drain altogether.)
They are also in the 1911 Census.
As he and his siblings were born in Scotland you would have to use Scotland's People. If you live in Scotland, request a PC at the Scotland's People building, you have to book in advance, the Scotland records are they best I have ever seen. I spent a day up there. They even give the Time of Births and Deaths.
I looked for the births in familysearch and got Margaret b 1891 the address was Bridgeton, Lanarkshire, this is near Celtic Park. If you type in Bridgeton on google you will see it  on the map.
I hope this has helped.
Maggsie

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 October 15 10:29 BST (UK) »
If their Mother was Leech then Hugh was registered in 1929 as Michael H Drain.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 October 15 10:37 BST (UK) »
James Drain & family in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Dunloy/Caldanagh/129789
and in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dunloy/Dunloy/946092

1891 census- 328 Nuneaton St., Bridgeton (Glasgow), Lanarkshire
James Drain, 27, Ireland, gas stoker
wife Matilda Drain, 30, Ireland
son James Drain, 2, Glasgow
daughter Margaret Drain, 8 months, Glasgow
boarder John McCausland, 40, Ireland, bricklayers labourer

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 October 15 10:42 BST (UK) »
Marriage: James Drain (5 Nov.1883 Ballymoney district) Matilda Caves.

Added- James' father is called Hugh

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 October 15 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks - weather is a bit dismal here in Lancashire so working on the family tree rather than gardening!! Thanks for the marriage info. Found the family in Scotland in 1891 but some questions:

-Mary, age 6 is not with them (she is on 1901 census age 16) - has she been left in Antrim?

-have tried to look at Dunloy registers (register.nli) but found it unreadable - are there any transcripts available?

-only birth of a James Drain I can find is 1864 in Belfast - doesn't feel right in that father and mothers names have not been used for his children's names - can anyone spot a better birth match?

If their Mother was Leech then Hugh was registered in 1929 as Michael H Drain.

[/quote The recently deceased Hugh was 82 when he died - so 1933 DOB. Don't know yet who his father Hugh  was married to]
Rose H

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 October 15 10:56 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of births in Ireland started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for James or Matilda.
The 1891 census for Ireland doesn't survive so there's no way to see which family members were here at that time.
You can view the marriage certificate for James & Matilda via GRONI's site (you'll need to purchase some credits but only a few pounds to see the scanned image to get the full details- which will not be nearly as informative as Scottish certificate). This will get you the name and occupation of their fathers (hopefully) and then the Dunloy registers can be searched.

Added- had a look at Dunloy register and seems perfectly clear to me