Author Topic: Whereabouts of the DRAIN family  (Read 9776 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whereabouts of the DRAIN family
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 03 October 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
Let us know how you get on with GRONI later. Have more information which I can type up and post if you're interested.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 October 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
It helps if you do buy credits first!!

have seen m/cert of Hugh Drain and Catherine Donnelly in 1922.  She was born 1904 and father was Charles - a farmer. Found it difficult to see where she was from - looked like Mayteraboy.

Although I had credits left couldn't seem to be able to access m/cert in 1883 of James Drain. Can anyone see a specific date so that I can try again? Thanks Rose H

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 October 15 17:16 BST (UK) »
Glad you got Hugh's certificate. Could the townland be Magheraboy (near Rasharkin)?

Added- think this is her as Kathleen Donnelly-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Killoquin/Magheraboy/130095

Date of James' marriage was posted earlier- 5 Nov.1883- am wondering if it was Registry Office.

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 October 15 17:25 BST (UK) »
THANK YOU!!! Will dash off now to look at the census for her.  The family thought that James married 'out' of his religion and that Mathilda might have been Protestant. That might explain a register Office wedding.  Would I still be able to use my credits to view that marriage?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 October 15 17:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, Registry Office marriages come under civil registration. There's a good reason that I thought it might be R.O. as Matilda's family most likely were Presbyterian- but more on that later when you are ready for LOTS of new details on the Drain connection.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 October 15 17:34 BST (UK) »
Probate of the Will of Charles Donnelly, Magheraboy, Co. Antrim, Farmer who died 27 December 1920 granted at Belfast 7 September 1921 to James McLernon & John McLernon, Farmers. Effects £39.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Killoquin_North/Dreen/946545/

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 03 October 15 17:44 BST (UK) »
I have done many family trees using English records but this is the first time that I've used GRONI and I don't like it!!

One of the witnesses to Hugh and Catherine's marriage was a Mary McSheffrery.  This surname was given to me by the family as being the maiden name of Catherines mother. From 1911 census Charles and Maggie were married about 1894 but will GRONI find me the marriage record? -NO it won't and I still have some unused credit. Is there a secret to finding the right record on this system?

Your hint of 'lots of new detail' about the Drains has really brightened me up. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 03 October 15 17:54 BST (UK) »
Suspect our Irish tendency to keep using different version of the same names is causing part of the problem for you but I'm got the advantage of local knowledge and resources (my children were all born in Ballymoney and lots of mother-in-law's family were around Dunloy).

Charles Donnelly married 13 May 1894 Ballymoney district to Margaret McSheefrey.

Added- possibly no father listed for Charles or Margaret.

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 03 October 15 18:05 BST (UK) »
It's been a grey, depressing foggy day here in Lancashire and I'm feeling grey and depressed here in my work room trying to access the GRONI records!  I used the correct date of marriage for the James Drain and Charles Donnelly marriages and it keeps saying ' returned 0 records'. What am I doing wrong? - you've obviously found the records as you've given me the dates so they exist.

Anyway must go and feed the family first before I get too involved in the Drains and Connelly's.  Will be back later for the next installment.
Rose H