Author Topic: Cochran Family from Templepatrick  (Read 6619 times)

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cochran Family from Templepatrick
« on: Friday 02 October 15 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hello
i am wondering if any one can help me trace this family . Sorry very limited information .
Christopher Cochran was born perhaps around 1807 . On the marriage  Cert for his daughter Margaret Cochran to James Locket( should be spelt Lockhart) on 14 Nov 1853 he is listed as a groom. location is Craigarrow ?parish in Templepatrick .sorry writing very poor on cert . Margaret wsa 22.    Another daughter ELIZA  married ON 16/10/1852 to James Hagen  address BallYashan ,Templepatrick. Christopher had been listed at this time as a labourer .  I know he also had a son called Charles  and he is a witness to his sister margarets Marriage .
Grateful for any information about the Cochran family from Templepatrick.
Thank you . 

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
Re: Cochran Family from Templepatrick
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 15 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Tempogold,

Time we put some wind in your sails!

The basic unit of geography in Ireland is the Townland.
Each Civil Parish is is composed of a collection of Townlands.

You will find Templepatrick parish's quota of constituents listed here:
http://apps.proni.gov.uk/geogindx/parishes/par254.htm

The closest matches to your attempted transcriptions from the marriage certificates are Ballycushan and Craigarogan.

----
Ballycushan lies roughly due East of Templepatrick village, with the Six Mile Water as its Northern boundary.  It lies to the North of the townlands of Cloughanduff and Ballymartin.

It hosts a collection of cotters houses (b,c,d,e,f,g,h) in tenement 5B.
These lie in the SW corner of the townland, just North of the Ballymartin Water, at Bridge End.
Two farmers dominated the townland - REID at The Croft (1) and John B. WILEY (4).
The latter was particularly prominent in the Castle Upton Farming Society.
[The UPTON family returned to their seat in the 1840s, rejuvenating the farming practices.]

Your Christopher COCHRAN was likely an itinerant labourer, "working to" such big wigs.
He would have had to attend the local 6 monthly hiring fairs, even if being re-engaged.

Strong confirmation that this is the "correct" location comes from the fact that a James LOCKHART was resident in house 1Ac in Ballymartin in 1864.  This was just down the road from Bridge End.
He may have worked at the Thrashing Mill in Ballymartin, just South of Bridge End.

This information comes from the Griffiths Valuation of Ireland published in 1864.
You can explore the lists of inhabitants, and explore the locations on old maps, using
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch  or
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=nameSearch

A James LOCKHART was sworn on to the Inquest Jury investigating the murder of Mary LANGTRY at her uncle's residence in "Ballycushion" (sic).
Ref: THE TEMPLEPATRICK MURDER .
The Belfast News-Letter, Tuesday, November 3, 1874; Issue 56097.

I did find another James LOCKHART, a major farmer in Kilroot.
His wife, Margaret, died in 06-FEB-1895  - buried St. Nicholas, Carrickfergus.
However, she was aged 76, so born ~1819.
Ref: Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries .
The Belfast News-Letter, Thursday, February 7, 1895; Issue 24827.

Sadly, your Christopher COCHRAN proved elusive.

----
I did find an Emilia COCHRAN marrying a Mathew O'HARA, in December 1830.
Both hailed from "Ballyutogue" (sic)
[aka, Ballyutoag - another Templepatrick townland - large, lying to the South.]

The ceremony was performed by the Rev. John M'MILLAN.
[As far as I could determine he was the long-term incumbent of the Presbyterian Church at Lylehill.]

Ref:  Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries .
The Belfast News-Letter, Tuesday, December 28, 1830; Issue 9760.

----
Unfortunately, Craigarogan is also a very large townland containing many large farms and manufactories, so it will be difficult to get any useful diagnostic information.

At least you are afloat at last!

Capt. Jock

[A great admirer of Admiral Thomas COCHRANE from Culross, "The Wolf of the Seas".
 Whose character was used for Horatio Hornblower, and John Aubrey "Master & Commander".
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Cochrane,_10th_Earl_of_Dundonald ]

WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 October 15 09:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this . Do you know the area? I had not realized that the Hiring fairs also took place in Ireland --I had always thought of them as something that happened in England. I can see i will need to read up about the local area. Really interested in the Templepatrick murder. What a shame Christopher Cochran is a mystery  man. I thought the name Christopher slightly unusual for the time . Perhaps someone will recognize it some time. There are no family  trees on line that I can find .. You have rekindled my interest in this search --thank You .

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 October 15 12:49 BST (UK) »
Re Ballycushan

The Wiley in Ballycushan in 1800 would have been my 4 x gt grandfather Hugh Wiley father of Ezekiel Wiley born 1805. Ezekiel's son Joseph Barron Wiley is the J B Wiley mentioned. Ezekiel died pre 1862 so you will find his wife Jane Wiley (nee Barron) in Griffiths valuations.

My 3x gt grandfather James Graham (who married Mary Wiley) was one of the residents in the 5B group. The list at the time of Griffiths Valuations was:

#5 B    a James Graham   2 roods (house office Garden)
             b Ellen Douglas      house & garden   
          c William Price
   d Richard Shannon
   d Hugh Neill
   e William Boyd
   f Margaret Neill   30 perches

I was fascinated to see there was a murder. Thank you Capt Jock.

Offline tempogold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 15 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hello
I take it you have a copy of the article about the murder. If not if you send me a pm with your e mail I will sent it on. makes interesting reading.

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 15 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tempogold.

I had heard about the murder but hadn't read the article until last night. It was fascinating to read. A real modern day forensic mystery. I did download a copy.

James & Mary Graham's son Ezekiel D Wiley Graham married Sarah Bill who no doubt belonged to one of several Bill families mentioned. James & Mary's oldest son Henry married a Reid so that connects my Graham family to all the Ballycushan farmers.

Cheers

Offline mgeertsema

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 August 16 12:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,
this is also my family that i am researching but i done have anymore than you.
If you would like descendants I am happy to provide them to you.
I would like to know more but who knows its like the wind on the ocean, invisible but its there somewhere
Cheers
Margaret

Offline warnock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 August 16 15:32 BST (UK) »
hi Margaret
we have been in touch before on another site about the Lockharts. Hope your research is going well. Had hoped to try and see what could be discovered about the Cochran line.
Happy Hunting.

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 19:30 BST (UK) »
The murder in question mentioned above involved my family - the accused was William Bill, brother of David Bill, my great great grandfather, whilst Margaret Langtry was their first cousin. William was found not guilty at a trial in 1875 - the second time he had been found not guilty of a murder in Templepatrick in 5 years, so I can't imagine too many people got close to him after that!

For more on the Bill family and the murder, visit http://chrispatonscotland.tripod.com/id6.html. Tragic as the incident was, it involved a family feud, meaning that everyone was interviewed, with the coverage so detailed that I was able to piece together an incredible amount of detail for the family back to the late 1700s/early 1800s.
Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com