Author Topic: Ernest Clark(e) and family - Bedwelty  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Morannes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ernest Clark(e) and family - Bedwelty
« on: Friday 02 October 15 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hello - I am researching for a friend and trying to find out more about her grandfather Ernest Clark(e) - both spellings seems to have been used.  He was born in 1877 in Sedgley, Staffordshire but moved to Bedwelty around 1905 where he was a bricklayer in the colliery.  He was married to Emma/Emily Turner - sadly she died in Dec. 1916, aged 36, just one year after the birth of their last child.  Her death is in Bedwelty - any information on burial would be great.  We don't know what happened to Ernest after that - possibly his elder daughters looked after the younger children but where and when did he die?  Address 1911 was 2 Tredegar Terrace, Penybont.  Also their second child Julia Winifred Clark(e) was born 1902 in Dudley - we believe she died as a child but I can't find a death in Sedgley/Dudley or Bedwelty so any help with this would be very much appreciated.  Regards Sue

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Clark(e) and family - Bedwelty
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 October 15 17:53 BST (UK) »
There is no Julia Winifred Clarke on the last census with the family.  The child who has been crossed out who has presumably died had a different first name. The number of children to the couple matches the number shown on the form including the crossed out one.

I can see a birth registration for J W Clarke on freebmd, have you evidence that she is a child of the family.  The child crossed out appears in 1904 Dudley birth registration index though could have died anywhere.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Morannes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Clark(e) and family - Bedwelty
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 15 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie - as this is for a friend I am relying on their information.  At this stage I don't have any evidence that J W Clark is this family other than my friend told me her grandparents had a child called Julia who had died young.  In fact this is why my friend then named her own child Julia.  Perhaps Mary did have a second name, although my friend led me to believe Mary did live longer and marry???   I agree though that the numbers on the census do tally.  Thanks for your interest and help.  Lots more digging to be done!!!  Regards Sue