Author Topic: Naye, Sharpe, Gibson, Hewitt  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Summergirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Naye, Sharpe, Gibson, Hewitt
« on: Friday 02 October 15 19:42 BST (UK) »
I am in search of information on my Irish ancestry. Surnames are NAYE/NAY/NEY, SHARP(E), GIBSON and HEWITT from County Cavan, Parish of Drumgoon. Earliest dates known about 1813.

Lisa
Hewitt, Naye, Sharp(e), Gibson, Carroll, Kelly, Hay(e)

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Naye, Sharpe, Gibson, Hewitt
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 October 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
I am in search of information on my Irish ancestry. Surnames are NAYE/NAY/NEY, SHARP(E), GIBSON and HEWITT from County Cavan, Parish of Drumgoon. Earliest dates known about 1813.

Lisa
www.nationalarchives.ie has Census Records/Griffith Valuation & Tithe Applotment records.
www.registers.nli.ie  for Baptisms & Marriages.  No Civil Registration until 1864

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 October 15 21:43 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but if you need help please tell us exactly what sort of information you are looking for and what you already found.

Religion will also be important when searching for church records, burials, civil marriage records in the mid 1800s.

www.registers.nli.ie  for Baptisms & Marriages.  No Civil Registration until 1864
The link is for online Catholic Parish Registers (baptisms, marriages, burials).
Civil registration of non=catholic marriages started in 1845 not 1864.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Summergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 October 15 22:00 BST (UK) »
My 3rd great grandmother was Lydia Sharpe born 31 July 1813, baptized 15 August 1813 through the Church of Ireland in County Cavan, Parish of Drumgoon. Her parents are listed as Samuel Sharpe and Bel Sharpe. Their son, Robert, was baptized 27 August 1815 through the C of I, County Cavan, Parish of Drumgoon. Robert immigrated to the United States in 1832. Lydia married Ephraim Hewitt. I have never been able to find information on Ephraim, his parents, etc, before he, Lydia and family arrived in the United States in 1860.

Margaret Gibson married James Naye through the C of I in 1834. His address given as Lara, hers as Kilsherdany, County Cavan.

Samuel Gibson was baptized in 1813, C of I, Drumgoon Parish. Parents listed as James and Mary Gibson.

Margaret Gibson born 29 Jan 1816, baptized 4 Feb 1816, C of I, Drumgoon Parish. Parents listed as James and Mary Gibson.

This is all I know of my ancestors in Ireland.

Thanks,
Lisa

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 October 15 22:31 BST (UK) »
Lydia married Ephraim Hewitt. I have never been able to find information on Ephraim, his parents, etc, before he, Lydia and family arrived in the United States in 1860.
According to an online tree, Ephraim Hewitt was born c1810 Ireland and died c1865 Pennsylvania. Eldest listed child was born 1834 in Penna. so Ephraim and Lydia could have married in America. If they married in Ireland you'd need to see if there is a church record of the marriage.

If you are trying to trace any of the families back further in Ireland then it will depend on what church records survive.

Offline Summergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 October 15 22:39 BST (UK) »
All of the children of Ephraim and Lydia Sharpe Hewitt were born in Ireland.  Their daughter Jane and an Edward Hewitt, not sure if brother or other family member, came to the United States in 1854. Ephraim, Lydia and the other children arrived in the United States in 1860.  If that tree lists one of the children as being born in Pennsylvania, it is incorrect information.

Where did you find the tree?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 October 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
I've just found another online tree (not saying any are correct) which gives him as Ephraim Grant Hewitt to Philadelphia in May 1860 but died 14 Sept.1855 Penna., with youngest child Elizabeth born 2 Sept,1860 Montgomery Co, Penna.  ::)

Offline Summergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 October 15 22:53 BST (UK) »
That is the incorrect Ephraim Hewitt. Mine has no middle name.  Someone found that Ephraim Grant Hewitt,added it to their tree without proving it is correct and it keeps floating around the internet.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 October 15 10:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, isn't it wonderful how people put the wrong information on a family tree and others blindly copy the mistakes. You'd think it would be fairly obvious that a man couldn't have died in American 5 years before he even went to America and then become father of a child  ::)

Have you checked to see how far back the church records in Ireland that you might need go back?