Author Topic: Jane Aitken Widow of William Aitken  (Read 919 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Aitken Widow of William Aitken
« on: Saturday 03 October 15 06:57 BST (UK) »
     We are still trying to find out what happened to Jane Aitken nee Harvey born Gordon circa 1788 after her husband William died in Edinburgh in 1852.
     They were at 8 Canning Place in Edinburgh in 1851 and same address is shown in the death register.
     But here is the rather odd thing.   I've just had a look at the Valuation Rolls for 1855 and there he is William Aitken Tenant and Occupier at 8 Canning Place.
     I can only assume that Jane must still have been there and this is important for it means her death will be after statutory registrations began.    Or could it be that the owner of the property when questioned by the valuation people didn't know that William was deceased?    Any thoughts? 

Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Aitken Widow of William Aitken
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 15 17:57 BST (UK) »
Did they have a son also called William who may possibly have taken on the tenancy when William snr died?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Aitken Widow of William Aitken
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 October 15 20:09 BST (UK) »
Did they have a son also called William who may possibly have taken on the tenancy when William snr died?
   Nobody has ever found one, Carole, but it is an interesting possibility.   William was born about 1785 in Newlands,Peebles and Jane Harvey at Gordon, Berwickshire about 1786.   They married in Coldstream in 1803 and a son Alexander was born in Edinburgh in 1804.  Daughter Margaret was born in Edinburgh in 1812 and daughter Isabella born Edinburgh 1814.    Alexander married another Jane but they had no children.   Margaret married John Grant and my dtr-in-law is descended from that union.   Isabella came to Australia and married a convict in 1845 and other researchers are descended from that union.
   William is described as a Gentleman's servant from 1812 and street directories show him in Candlemaker's Row, and he was at Salisbury Street in 1832, then by 1851 at Canning Place.   In other words the family look like they were always in Edinburgh, otherwise I would have looked more closely at the William Aitken born 1809 and Janet of Cumberland Street 1841 and Fettes Row 1851.   But both that William and Janet came from Glasgow.
    I don't think we ever found William and Jane in 1841.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields