Author Topic: Dunlichity Cemetery & surrounding burial grounds  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunlichity Cemetery & surrounding burial grounds
« on: Saturday 03 October 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if records were kept of burials within the Cemetery that did not then have Gravestones erected?  i.e. Paupers graves etc.?  Have searched the old St Pauls Death Records, and not all Deaths are listed for the years concerned, although I would be surprised if they were in any other Cemetery in another area, but they are also not mentioned in the Dunlichity Monumental Inscription Booklet by the HFHS, so I'm presuming I'm looking for unmarked graves?  Thoughts anyone? Thanks.
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dunlichity Cemetery & surrounding burial grounds
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 October 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if records were kept of burials within the Cemetery that did not then have Gravestones erected?  i.e. Paupers graves etc.?  Have searched the old St Pauls Death Records, and not all Deaths are listed for the years concerned, although I would be surprised if they were in any other Cemetery in another area, but they are also not mentioned in the Dunlichity Monumental Inscription Booklet by the HFHS, so I'm presuming I'm looking for unmarked graves?  Thoughts anyone? Thanks.

I have also struggled to find lair records for unmarked graves.

The crematory office at Kilvean Cemetery hold all the records for the Inverness are and have been very helpful, but even though I had death certificates for family members, they were unable to help with most unmarked graves.

I think you and I are looking in similar cemeteries - Daviot, Dunlichity, Dores etc.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline Scotsquinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dunlichity Cemetery & surrounding burial grounds
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 October 15 10:14 BST (UK) »

I have also struggled to find lair records for unmarked graves.

The crematory office at Kilvean Cemetery hold all the records for the Inverness are and have been very helpful, but even though I had death certificates for family members, they were unable to help with most unmarked graves.

I think you and I are looking in similar cemeteries - Daviot, Dunlichity, Dores etc.

Yes I think we are!  (I read the Stoddard message first).  I have a feeling they must be there somewhere in Dunlichity, I haven't been in the Cemetery Grounds before, so will be interested to see if there is a space which may be unmarked graves, or will it be full with stones.  One of the couples I am looking for, their house still stands a couple of miles down the road, where they lived in the mid-late 1800's, and as they were born, lived & died locally, I cant see they would be anywhere else really.  Unless there is a wee Cemetery somewhere in that area that I don't know about. Will be heading to Dores, Boleskin & Daviot at some point too. 
Shaw & McGillivray (Daviot & Dunlichity, Dores, Inverness & Nairn)
McTavish (Inverness-shire)