Author Topic: George Newton Spencer (Originally from Glasgow B 1882) Lived Hamburg 1908 - 1980  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Newton Spencer (Originally from Glasgow B 1882) Lived Hamburg 1908 - 1980s married to German wife Joanna & child Marion

Hi readers, I am a family relation to the following... I am very interested to track down information of the family of George Newton Spencer.. (Christened Samuel but changed name to George) Born in Glasgow to a George Spencer and Hannah McGee he moved to Hamburg Germany around the 1908 and made his living as a merchant in the Ship industry, I have picked up that he married a German lady named Joanna L Spencer (Nee????) and they had a daughter named Marion (May have went as Maria) Maria was listed in a passenger List as age 12 in 0ct 1937 listed as Marion E Spencer All listed as British nationality But Joanna was German and daughter was to..

George (Samuel) was involved in the ship industry and I have picked up in archives information suggesting that his business was Spencer & co based in Hamburg up to the war years address details from phone book private listing was George N Spencer ... Othm ... 1943 ... Keu- landsweg31 P GFlottb ... Hamburg
His business details from phone book was in 1937 - Spencer & Co .... Listed address Schiffsmakler... Hamburg...36 Esplanade 6. G.N. Spencer private address - in 1937 Othm, Neu- Jandsweg 31, P. GFlottb. Hamburg

I have followed a G.N. Spencer through the archive phone book up to the year 1980 and I think it is the same person however he may not have been living at this stage and this being his listed estate possibly with someone else living there ???? His wife was listed as being 10 years younger in the 1937 Ship passenger listing I viewed and if so and still alive would have been abt 88 years of age in 1980 .. Her name again being Joanna... Daughter Marion (Maria) would have been abt 55 years old..

The last address listed in Hamburg for G.N. Spencer in 1980 was 52 Borchligsweg, 31 Hamburg Ph no 8 80 66 12

Hoping for a miracle in a lead to this family..
Fingers crossed

Scott Morland
NZ

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: George Newton Spencer (Originally from Glasgow B 1882) Lived Hamburg 1908 - 1980
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 October 15 00:09 BST (UK) »
Some information I just picked up on George Spencer.. Wrong place at the wrong time ? maybe create some interest given the case that unfolded..
Read following... ( a few minor typos from transcription )

Evening Post, Volume LXXXVIII, Issue 135, 4 December 1914, Page 2

Article view. 

TRADING WITH THE ENEMY

— .» SHIPPING CLERK SENTENCED (FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDENT.) LONDON, 16th October. The first conviction under the Trad*ing-with-the-Ertetny Act was recorded yesterday at the Old Bailey, when George Newton Spencer was sentenced to eighteen months' imprisonment. Spencer pleaded not guilty to an indictment charging him with inviting Mr. Frank Henry Houlder and others to trade with the enemy. Mr. R. D. If uir, for the prosecution, said prisonor, who was a British Bubject, was a clerk to a Hamburg firm of shipowners. On 23rd September, having a passport granted to him by the American Consul in Hamburg, and a safe conduct from the German General of that city, prisoner came to London on a mission for his firm. Tliis German firm apparently thought, owing to the efficiency of the British Navy, that their ships were no longer of use to them, being either in neutral ports or seized as prizes of war by the King's ships. Some of the vessels were mortgaged to Messrs. Houlder Bros., and Messrs. Holman and Sons, insurance agents. To these two English firms prisoner proposed that they should pay to his firm large sums of money, and take in exchange the ships on which they had mortgages, and run them as their own property. If the transaction had been earned out, the result would have been that from Houlder Bros, there would have gone through a Rotterdam bank the sum of £16,000, and through Messrs. Hobnan and Sons the BUtn of £13,410— £28,410 from the King's subjects to the King's enemy. Messrs. Houlder and Holmau at once said such a, thing could not be done under our proclamations, and the former firm set tho law in motion against prisoner. Mr. Frank Henry Houlder, chairman of Iloulder Brothers, said Spencer declared that he had an authority from the German Government to transfer the vessels, and he produced a letter from the German Home Office c6nsenting- to the sale. One of the ships proposed to be sold was already a British prize of war at Gibraltar. Cyril Henrjr Walton, shipping manager of Messrs. John Holmes and Sons, of LloydVavenue, said accused showed him a document suggesting that witness's firm should take over a steamer in Alexandria by cancelling a mortgage of £16,590 and paying another £13,000. The vessel w;w worth about £20,000. He went to the Foreign Office, and informed prisoner on the following day that ho was advised that Alexandria was being treated as a British port, and that the ship had been seized as a prize. Prisoner said in Germany Alexandria was considered to be * neutral port. The jury returned a verdict of " Guilty," and the Judge, in passing sentence f said : " You are, I understand, an Englishman or a Scotsman by birth, and a British subject. You must, indeed, have been blind to the interest's of your native country or you must have been singularly incapable of appreciating the state of affairs, or you must have thought that the British merchants would do anything for money. It is my duty to pass on you a sentence which will prevent other people thinking that in the way of business they can set the interests of this country at naught. You cannot be sent to penal servitude or be ordered to hard labour, but in the interest of the country I must pass on you the sentence that you be imprisoned for eighteen months."

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Newton Spencer (Originally from Glasgow B 1882) Lived Hamburg 1908 - 1980
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 October 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
I have picked up that he married a German lady named Joanna L Spencer (Nee?) and they had a daughter named Marion (May have went as Maria) Maria was listed in a passenger List as age 12 in 0ct 1937 listed as Marion E Spencer All listed as British nationality But Joanna was German and daughter was to..
Joanna [more likely Johanna if German} would have acquired British citizenship upon her marriage & the daughter would have been British through her father.

Have you tried writing a letter to the latest address you found asking for help?

Added- just found previous topic   :-\
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=650598.0
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 15 08:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sharing the link.. Great idea and great idea about a letter :)

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 17 03:58 BST (UK) »
Yes I did write a letter and had it transcribed into German so an English and German version was sent.. Unfortunately no success ..

Would be great to understand George (Samuel) Newton Spencer's fate... If anyone can offer a look up on deaths around the Hamburg area I would be so grateful ..

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 August 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did you look at archion or ancestry if there are the marriage record of
Spencer and Joanna and the birth record of their daughter Marion?
If both the marriage and the birth took place in Hamburg the records could be on one of this websites.
I have just read that the Einwohnermeldekarteien of Hamburg still exist but they are not online.

State Archives of Hamburg, Genealogy
http://www.hamburg.de/bkm/familienforschung/4307636/tipps-fuer-die-familienforschung/

http://www.hamburg.de/bkm/benutzung/4330728/benutzung-von-personenstandsunterlagen/

BMD Records of Hamburg are online on ancestry:

Births:      1874/1876 - 1901
Marriages: 1874/1876 - 1920
Deaths:    1874/1876 - 1950

BMD Records in the State Archives of Hamburg:

Births:      1874/1876 – 1906
Marriages: 1874/1876 – 1936
Deaths:    1874/1876 – 1986

Einwohnermeldekarteien in the State Archives of Hamburg:

01.02. 1892 – 31.12.1925 Meldekartei Alt-Hamburg
01.08. 1943 – 31.12.1945 Meldekartei Hamburg
01.01. 1946 - 31.07.1957 Meldekartei Hamburg

Regards
Svenja

Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 August 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the detail offered.. Can you access the archives in English?

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 August 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
Name and gender
samuel Spencer b1882
Birth
8 September 1882 • Glasgow, Lanarkshire
10 Sources 1 Media
(AGE)
Residence
1901 • Glasgow Govan, Lanarkshire, Scotland
1 Source
Departure
4 Oct 1921 • Hamburg
1 Source
Marriage Contract
14 November 1922 • Hamburg, Germany
Marriage of George Spencer and Johanna Singenstrueh
Johanna Louise Auguste Singenstrueh (1892–1986)
Departure
24 Apr 1923 • Hamburg
1 Source
Departure
24 Sept 1924 • Hamburg
1 Source
Departure
14 Aug 1926 • Hamburg
2 Sources
Departure
24 Sep 1927 • Glasgow, Scotland
1 Source
Arrival
2 October 1927 • New York, New York
Age: 45 George travels to USA. It may be business but his half sister is in New York area at this time Mary Newton Young (Nee Ledgerwood)
1 Source
Residence
1931 • Hamburg, Hamburg, Deutschland
1 Source
Residence
1935 • Hamburg, Hamburg, Deutschland
1 Source
Residence
1936 • Hamburg, Hamburg, Deutschland
1 Source
Arrival
25 October 1937 • New York, New York
. His Sponsor for travelling to USA was M.N. Young (Mary Newton Young (His half sister)
1 Source
Residence
1937 • Hamburg, Hamburg, Deutschland
1 Source
Residence
1938 • Hamburg, Hamburg, Deutschland
1 Source
Departure
3 Jun 1939 • London, England
1 Source
Residence
1939 • Hamburg, Hamburg, Deutschland
1 Source
Residence
1940 • Hamburg, Hamburg, Deutschland
1 Source
Residence
1941 • Hamburg, Hamburg, Deutschland
1 Source
EDIT
Residence
1943 • Hamburg, Hamburg, Deutschland
1 Source

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 August 17 13:05 BST (UK) »

•   George (Samuel) Newton Spencer B1882 – Glasgow
•   2nd March 1895 His mother died in Glasgow
•   1901 was living in Glasgow
•   1906 his sister Elizabeth Franklin Spencer died age 26 (was born 1880)
•   4th Feb 1914 His father George Spencer died in Glasgow
•   4th Oct 1921 – I have George travelling on a ships passenger list
•   14th November 1922 marriage of George Spencer & Johanna  Louise Auguste Singenstrueh
•   24th April 1923 – I have George travelling on a ships passenger list
•   Abt 1925/26 – George & Johanna have a daughter named Marion
•   Sept / Oct 1927 – I have George travelling on a ships passenger List (USA) His half sister is living in New York
•   1931 – Have a residence for George in Hamburg
•   1935 – Have a residence for George in Hamburg
•   1936 – Have a residence for George in Hamburg
•   Oct 1937 – I have George travelling on a ships passenger List (USA) His half sister is living in New York and is noted his sponsor
•   1938 – Have a residence for George in Hamburg
•   1939 – Have a residence for George in Hamburg
•   June 1939 – I have George travelling on a ships passenger list Portugal the listed country travelling to
•   1940 – Have a residence for George in Hamburg
•   1941 – Have a residence for George in Hamburg
•   1943 – Have a residence for George in Hamburg
•   9th June 1945 – Death of Georges half brother – William Ledgerwood (My 2x Grt Grandfather) - Glasgow
•   30 July 1961 – Death of Georges brother Albert Edward Spencer – Glasgow
•   1961 – Death of half sister Mary Newton Ledgerwood
•   Johanna died in Hamburg on 30 June 1986 – Germany (to be confirmed)
•   Abt 3/4 years ago death of only daughter Marion (to be confirmed)
•   I have a listing of G N Spencer residence in Hamburg phone book up to 1981 address Borchligsweg 31 (I have no idea when & where George Spencer died and would guess that he is deceased well before 1981) so a guess is that his estate is still active. Possibly wife Johanna is living here at this stage in 1981??? Possibly Marion??? (To be confirmed)
•   I had been advised that George and Johanna lived in Sweden for a period of time - To confirm