Author Topic: MATHEWS Thomas William 1826  (Read 1540 times)

Offline CherylM1951

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MATHEWS Thomas William 1826
« on: Sunday 04 October 15 04:22 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to verify the parents of my great grandfather, Thomas William MATHEWS, who was born about 1826. I have a copy of his marriage in 1870 to Eliza GATES (in Cranbourne, Vic, Australia) which gives his father's name as William MATHEWS and his mother Sarah (maiden name unknown).
He appears on his son's marriage certificate as William Thomas MATHEWS. It seems that Thomas was born in Suffolk about 1826 and Eliza Gates was born in 1844 in Bethnal Green.
I would appreciate any help with this.
Kind regards,
CherylM1951

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MATHEWS Thomas William 1826
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 October 15 15:03 BST (UK) »
There seems to be only one possible candidate in Suffolk - bear in mind that surnames can vary between Mathews/Matthews, it's a common surname and also that the vast majority of baptisms would show just one Christian name and not 2.   Indeed, we have found from posts on this site that people who had one Christian name in the UK suddenly have 2 when they emigrate!   Perhaps because of something to hide or for some added prestige?? Who knows!

There was only one couple named William and Sarah in Suffolk, in the relevant time frame, having children baptised.   

1841 Census - New Street, Woodbridge.

William Mathews   47      Publican          Not born Suffolk
Sarah Mathews     43                                 ditto
Jane Mathews 13
Robert Mathews 11
Thomas Mathews 9
Mary Ann Mathews 6
Caroline Mathews  4
William Mathews 15
Babe not named (female)   3 weeks
(all the children born in Suffolk)

Can only find some of the baptisms:

William Matthews bp.12/6/1825 Shottisham, Suffolk
Frances Matthews bp.26/9/1827          ditto
Jane Matthews bp.11/10/1829             ditto
Robert bp.5/6/1831                            ditto
Thomas bc.1832
Mary Ann bc.1835
Caroline bc.1837
Matilda Margaret bp.28/9/1841 Woodbridge (died Dec.qtr.1841 Woodbridge)

By 1851 William and 2 of his brothers are in Harwich, Essex:

William   26     Hair Dresser          born Debenham, Suffolk (this is incorrect)
Eliza 30  wife                               born Woodbridge, Suffolk
Robert brother  19    Shipwright              ditto
Thomas brother 17   Shipwright              ditto

Cannot locate an obvious marriage for William and Eliza!

1861 - Harwich, Essex

William    36      Hair Dresser and Tobacconist      born Shottisham, Suffolk
Mary Ann  35                                                     born Woodbridge, Suffolk

Think this second wife possibly Mary Ann Kell married Tendring district, Essex in Dec.1857 (a Mary Ann Kell was born in Woodbridge).

However, by 1871 William has vanished!

1871 - 23 Church Street, Harwich, Essex

Mary Matthews    Marr.    35?? (error)    Hairdresser      born Woodbridge, Suffolk
William John Fisk  Servant  23               Hairdressers Apprentice      ditto

Can find absolutely no sign of William Mathews in 1871 although Mary still shown as married.

By 1881 - still in Harwich - Mary Ann Matthews   50    now a widow.   

There is no likely death entry for a William Mathews/Matthews between 1871 and 1881 (in Essex or Suffolk).

I suspect that between 1861 and 1871 William left Mary Ann and made his way to Australia to make a new life.   Although having had 2 wives at this point he had no children with either.  After a wife had been left for 7 years she could legally have her husband declared dead which is what I suspect happened here.

I feel sure that this William is your man.

As to his parents, William and Sarah.   The 1841 Census (which didn't state actual birthplaces) simply states that although living in Suffolk neither of them were born in Suffolk.

By 1851 sons William, Robert and Thomas were in Harwich, Essex but William and Sarah plus their daughters are still living in Woodbridge plus they have a further son Henry bc.1843.   William is shown as bc.1793 Crondall, Hampshire and wife Sarah bc.1798 Godalming, Surrey.

Because of the common name, and with the 2 of them coming from different places, they could have married anywhere.   There is a marriage of a William Matthews bachelor to a Sarah Peache, widow, 1/12/1822 Godalming, Surrey (Sarah's birthplace) which could possibly be them, making her a 24 years old widow.

The birth certificate of one of their 2 youngest children would confirm Sarah's actual maiden name.

Hope this helps.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CherylM1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 15 05:16 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Annette7.  I really appreciate all the information you provided. Now I need to check it all out with what I already have. Many thanks, CherylM

Offline DebraM1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 January 18 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl, I have just come across your post on this site. It seems we have the same ancestors in Thomas Mathews and Eliza Gates, they were my Great great grandparents, my Great grandmother was Caroline their daughter, I would be very interested to hear of any other information re our ancestors

Offline CherylM1951

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 January 18 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Greetings Debra,
Thank you for reaching out. In 2016 I went to Woodbridge and found the burial site for William and Sarah Mathews. Their son William had been living in Harwick (1851 census) but eventually found his way to Australia.
I can find no information as to how he got to Australia and I would appreciate it if you had any information  that would shed some light on this. 
I also went to Bethnal Green where Eliza Gates was born.
It is some time since I was working on the family tree but I am willing to share what I know.

Cheers Cheryl

Offline DebraM1952

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 January 18 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl, lovely to connect, so you are descended from Thomas, Caroline’s brother. I also only go into tree every now and then, it does take so much time. Do you know Pauline Mathews, I remember staying at her home when I was a child but cannot remember her parents names! Will certainly share anything extra that I have but you seem to have far more, will check it out 😁