Author Topic: Louisa SMITH (maiden surname ROSS) died Midmar 1878  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
Louisa SMITH (maiden surname ROSS) died Midmar 1878
« on: Sunday 04 October 15 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am hoping that someone would be kind enough to give me a quick confirmation of the parents of Louisa SMITH (maiden surname ROSS) b about 1848/49 who died in Midmar in 1878, possibly at Bankhead.

Louisa married Charles Smith (b 1849 in Tough) in Midmar in 1876.  They had two sons, Charles b 1875 and James b 1877, both at Bankhead.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Louisa SMITH (maiden surname ROSS) died Midmar 1878
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 October 15 07:23 BST (UK) »
The only way to sure is to look at the marriage cert on Scotlands People site which is not a subscription site, however a search of free index on the site confirms that Louisa Smith who died in 1878 was born in 1849.

On the 1871 census there is a Louisa Ross living in Midmar  born 1849 in Birse, Aberdeenshire with father James b 1802 in Birse -a farmer

Kay

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 October 15 08:14 BST (UK) »
Familysearch gives the parents of the Louisa born in Birse as James Ross and Mary Catanach.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 October 15 10:15 BST (UK) »
Familysearch gives the parents of the Louisa born in Birse as James Ross and Mary Catanach.

I think that must be her. James Ross and Mary Catanach were married in 1835 in Birse. Louisa appears in the 1851 and 1861 censuses with them at farms in Birse, and then in the 1871 census at Bankhead farm in Midmar with her father and siblings.

If you follow Louisa's eldest son, Charles, he appears back at Bankhead farm in 1891, aged 15, with his uncle, James Ross (Louisa's brother). In 1881, both James and Charles are with their father in Cluny, who is living with his widowed mother and sister.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 October 15 10:41 BST (UK) »
The only way to sure is to look at the marriage cert on Scotlands People site

Thanks, Kay - I used the last of my current credits getting Charles and James' birth records and possibly wasn't going to buy any more for a little while.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 October 15 10:46 BST (UK) »

If you follow Louisa's eldest son, Charles, he appears back at Bankhead farm in 1891, aged 15, with his uncle, James Ross (Louisa's brother). In 1881, both James and Charles are with their father in Cluny, who is living with his widowed mother and sister.

Thanks for that, I hadn't made the family connection on the 1891 census as Charles is listed as Servant and 1901 has him as a Servant to another family at Linton Mains.  The 1891 makes sense now in the family context.