Author Topic: Colin McLachlan - Union Sawmills  (Read 14671 times)

Offline SignalHill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Colin McLachlan - Union Sawmills
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 03:17 BST (UK) »
Union Sawmill

I found this
    Papers Past > Mataura Ensign > 12 January 1894 > Page 4 > Mataura Ensing GORE: FRIDAY, JANUARY 12, 1894

I cannot find any other reference in Papers Past to verify the First 2 words of this item

Signal
Calvert Dobson Metcalfe;  Otago, Yorkshire
Johns Blewett;   Bendigo, Cornwall
Turnbull Hempseed Matheson;  Otago, Bendigo, Lothian
Butterfield;   NZ, Yorkshire
Brewer Tothill;   NZ, Gloucester London
Klee;   Canterbury, London, Hanover
Cutler;   Fordingbridge Hampshire
Hill ;  Taranaki
Gordon Dunn;   Otaki Wellington
Anderson;   Canterbury Tyrone

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 03:30 BST (UK) »
Is this Colin McLAUGHLAN spelling the match for the Central Otago Clyde Burial ?

NZ BDM      1895/2224   McLaughlin   Colin   50Y
Edited - Almost certainly Colin the Contractor of Oamaru father of Colin SCOULLAR McLACHLAN and connected with Helen SCOULLAR of Oamaru and
Sarah and Joseph McCARTEN and Agnes and Robert DALLAS all of Glasgow

Signal

Mmm ... not sure why you altered / edited your original ??      [Answers given in a following reply ]

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 03:39 BST (UK) »
Who is the Colin McLACHLAN of Oamaru who died in 1892 ?

Southland Times , Issue 17697, 8 July 1914, Page 5

Under the will of Colin McLACHAN contractor, late of Oamaru, who died in 1894 , certain money was left to a  son named Colin Scoullar McLACHAN,   the child’s mother being Helen SCOULLAR, and McLACHAN its father.

The child died before Colin McLACHAN so Legatees named Sarah McCARTEN, wife of Joseph McCARTEN, metal merchant, of Ibrox, Glasgow, and Agnes DALLAS, wife of Robert DALLAS, of Mary Hill, Glasgow, claimed the money the child  C S McLACHAN would have received.

Signal

Just wanted to clarify some names mentioned in the above "Southland Times" article of 8 July 1914.

The name of Sarah, reads here as "McCARTEN" ... (wife of Joseph McCARTEN).

In a similar "Evening Post" (Wellington) article - 8 July 1914 - Page 6 / column 6, the surnames of Sarah and Joseph were given as "McCARTER".

Scotland Census records have the husband Joseph (metal merchant), listed as "McCARTER"
(rather than McCarten).

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 03:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Just recently found some information about my Great Great Uncle, Colin McLachlan who may have worked at Union Sawmills, Brunswick near Invercargill. (found a piece of paper in my Great uncles old address book with Colin's name and the sawmill and 'uncle' which would confirm it's my great, great uncle!)

Hi Andrea

Just curious to know where your Great Uncle (above) was living ... and whether he was perhaps corresponding with Colin McLACHLAN ??     Do you have a timeframe as to when the entries might have been made in the address book ?

~  Lu

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 03:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Lucy and Signal....I can't keep up with you two!  My Great Uncle was living in Melbourne, Australia (where I am).  He came here in 1923 and as far as I know, didn't do any overseas trips until later in his life.  He may well have been corresponding with Colin. I should probably try and get in touch with his family members to see if they held any old letters or information.  I did contact one of them a while ago but never received a response back so didn't want to push the matter! 

I should have picked up on the Johnson name from the family tree of Colin McLachlan and Ann Muldrew that I had contacted the owner about.  I did notice Catherine had married a Ben Johnson but it didn't register at the time!  That's why you are the Marquessate and I'm not!

I think the first two word of the newspaper article Signal are 'The Union'.  Having 3 Colin McLachlans is rather confusing isn't it?!!

Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 04:48 BST (UK) »

I think the first two word of the newspaper article Signal are 'The Union'. 

Another report on the fire.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz
"Southland Times" - 12 January 1894 - Fire at One Tree Point - p.2
[Relates to Union Sawmill. ]

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy

I'm still not sure what connects the Southland - Stewart Island Colin with Oamaru

Signal

Hi Signal ... hope this helps ?  ;)

Colin McLACHLAN - died at Clyde, 1905
Married - 1875 to Ann Jane MULDREW at the house of her uncle (J. MULDREW) at Kaikanui.

A witness to this marriage was ... "Colin McLACHLAN, Oamaru, North Otago"
[So yes, the bridegroom and the witness to the marriage, both have the same names !!! ]

Three children born at Oamaru to Colin and Ann Jane McLACHLAN, a further two born 1883 and 1886 at Brunswick.   Deaths of Ann Jane (1890) and son Hugh McLACHLAN (1897) - buried Eastern Cem. Invercargill.

As best as can be established, the "Oamaru, Colin McLACHLAN" remained in that place;  did find a few references for him - member of Kilwinning Lodge at Oamaru - probable mention of him involved with wharf labourers at Oamaru.    No connection found with Southland for this man, other than that his infant son, Colin (or Cyril) Scoullar McLACHAN, was sent to live with the infamous Minnie DEAN at Winton.    He may have been the Colin McLACHLAN, deemed to have been of "unsound mind" and later released - "Auckland Star" - 13 January 1894 - page 4 ?    He died at Seacliff, Dunedin (affidavit of death from hospital attendant) on 14 January 1895 ... buried at Oamaru.

All this info, plus sources of same, given in posts further back in this thread.   ;)

~  Lu

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 00:48 BST (UK) »
Found a record for Colin McLachlan (McLauchlan), born 1852 in Glasgow under Apprentices Indentured in Merchant Navy 1824-1910.

Date of Indenture: 1 Sep 1868
Date of Enrolment of Indenture: 2 Sep 1868
Term for which bound: 4 years
Indenture Expires: 1 Sep 1872
Person to Whom bound: MacCunn, Greenock
Extra Note: Deserted 'Guinevere' at Arago (Irago), Japan 1 Aug 1870.
Indenture Received: 22 Jul 1871 with C.2.71

I assume Colin returned to the ship at some stage to receive his Indenture and didn't abscond from Japan to New Zealand!  It would seem to match my Colin as far as age is concerned.

On a second look, I searched for a Hugh McLachlan (Colin's father) as he was a Merchant Seaman and found a record for 1838 with an apprenticeship under 'McCunn and Campbell'.  Coincidence perhaps but it's looking hopeful!

Also just found this from the 'Otago Witness Shipping News 1876':

The Sir Launcelot is a very handsome composite ship of 886 tons burden, and was built in the year 1865 by Messrs Robert Steele and Co, of Greenock, for her present owners, Messrs James McCunn and Co, of Greenock and has been employed in the China trade - excepting one voyage to Sydney. She is under charter to the New Zealand Shipping Company;

So possibly Colin continued working with McCunn and Co and on one of their trips to NZ, decided to stay?!
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 01:08 BST (UK) »
Good work, on finding apprenticeship record, Andrea.   ;)