Author Topic: Elrig, Daviot and Dunlichity  (Read 1399 times)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elrig, Daviot and Dunlichity
« on: Sunday 04 October 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
Does anyone local know if Elrig was an area of Daviot and Dunlichity, or was Elrig the name of a house?

I can trace my my great-grandmother, Marjory Grant or McPherson, living at Elrig in the census returns of 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901. I also found her mother, Catherine McPherson on the 1841 census in Elrig.

When Marjory died in 1906, her death certificate states that she died at Elrig, Daviot and Dunlichity.

Now, I have a bit of a mystery, because on the census return of 1911, I find a family of Stoddarts living at Elrig (is this Marjory's house - did they move in after she died?)

On this 1911 entry, I find George Stoddart, aged 10 years. George Stoddart married Donaldina Mackay. Donaldina Mackay was the daughter of Maggie Ann Kelly / Kellie / McGillivray - and Maggie Ann was the grand-daughter of Marjory Grant.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

The names Fraser, MacGillivary and Grant from Daviot & Dunlichity.

The name of Fraser from Lanarkshire.

The name of Bell from Northumberland.

The name Chilla / Chylla / Chyla from Poland.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elrig, Daviot and Dunlichity
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 15 08:18 BST (UK) »
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 15 09:35 BST (UK) »
A possibility:

http://canmore.org.uk/site/78779/elrig

Imber

Thank you Imber, it looks as if Elrig was a farmhouse.

When I was in The Highland Archive Centre, I found the following notes:

1892. April 30. Marjory Grant's Elrig house requires to be rebuilt, but another house which is close to it, which with little repairs, can be put into a habitable state. Agreed to be done.

1898. December 15. It was reported that the house occupied by Marjory Grant, Elrig, was uninhabitable, and the Inspector of The Poor was instructed to make her house habitable without delay.

I can only presume that work on the property was carried out, as Marjory Grant died in Elrig on 20 May 1906.
Researching the names Mckenzie / Mackenzie from Ross and Cromarty especially Scoraig and Rherivach.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 15 09:53 BST (UK) »
It appears that Elrig was a farmhouse with cottages or bothies.  If you go onto the 1851 census on Freecen for Marjory and then use the previous/next household buttons, you will find there are 5 households for Elrig, the main farmhouse occupied by John Colvin and then 4 others including the one occupied by Marjory Grant and her mother.

Offline heilanlassie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
It appears that Elrig was a farmhouse with cottages or bothies.  If you go onto the 1851 census on Freecen for Marjory and then use the previous/next household buttons, you will find there are 5 households for Elrig, the main farmhouse occupied by John Colvin and then 4 others including the one occupied by Marjory Grant and her mother.

That's amazing, J11, thanks for the info.
I managed to find all that on the 1851 census on Freecen, but can't find Elrig listed on the 1861, 71, 81 or 91 Freecen census.
I even tried searching for the name Colvin, but nothing shows up.

Now I understand - the only census returns that have been transcribed and uploaded are for 1841 and 1851......