Author Topic: Non-conformist records trying to trace a baptism for William Brandish  (Read 1257 times)

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Non-conformist records trying to trace a baptism for William Brandish
« on: Monday 05 October 15 08:58 BST (UK) »
I've been unable to trace a baptism for William Brandish, apparently born Suffolk, possibly in or around Fressingfield, c1793/1794. Indeed, I can't see any Brandish family on the C of E records for that area, births, marriages or deaths - though there is a Brundish family with a William born just a couple of years earlier.  I'm wondering if this William is mine, though birth date as well as surname don't tally with his army records. But I'd like to check any Non-Conformist records that are available to see if I can at least confirm whether there was a family with this surname in the area. Can anyone tell me anything about possible churches, indexes, records and availability?
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Non-conformist records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 October 15 15:31 BST (UK) »
On Family Search there is a baptism for a William Brundish  baptised at  Fressingfield   12th June 1791. His father is James and mother Sarah.

I don't know if this is the one you are looking for.

Regards   Amber39
Norfolk: Copling,Coppen ,Oakley, Vertigans, Cracknell
Suffolk:  Grist, Scopes, Bullenthorpe. Knights,Watcham
Cambs.: Wilson, Andrews.
London: Monk

We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, but more in the light of what they suffer.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 October 15 15:42 BST (UK) »
On Family Search there is a baptism for a William Brundish  baptised at  Fressingfield   12th June 1791. His father is James and mother Sarah.

I don't know if this is the one you are looking for.

Regards   Amber39

Yes, this is the one I'm wondering about. The William BrAndish I'm looking at was born, according to his army records, in November 1794 and came from Fressingfield. In the same battalion there was a James BrAndish - his brother? So I'm wondering about the William and James BrUndish born Fressingfield, but in 1790 and 1791. Also, I know that William BrAndish died in 1835 - and William BrUndish doesn't appear on the censuses, although James is there. But how to explain the different dates and surname? (though I can accept that there could have been confusion over the latter, especially if they were illiterate). Brundish seems more likely for that area, as the village of that name is nearby, and Brandish seems to occur in Norfolk rather than Suffolk.
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 October 15 17:38 BST (UK) »
I have just looked on Suffolk Marriages 1754 -1812 which I have on disc and there are no Brandish marriages in the Hartismere and district area which includes Fressingfield.

I have found these marriages of BrUndish which may be useful, all at St Peter and Paul, Fressingfield

James    =  Rebecca Aldous  28/12/1762
James    =Sarah Buggs   26 /1/1790
James   =   Amy White    10/7/1799
Richard  =   Ann Rich    16/10/1783
William   =   Frances Morley   4/12/1766
William   =   Sarah Chambers  9/7/1770

There are several BrUndish  families living in Suffolk .

Regards   Amber39
Norfolk: Copling,Coppen ,Oakley, Vertigans, Cracknell
Suffolk:  Grist, Scopes, Bullenthorpe. Knights,Watcham
Cambs.: Wilson, Andrews.
London: Monk

We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, but more in the light of what they suffer.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 15 18:49 BST (UK) »
I have just looked on Suffolk Marriages 1754 -1812 which I have on disc and there are no Brandish marriages in the Hartismere and district area which includes Fressingfield.

Thankyou very much for these. Brundish would make more sense as the surname - but I still can't explain the anomalies in the army records, if it is this William who's my "Brandish" ancestor. Very mysterious.

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Keep plodding on you Will find it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Non-conformist records trying to trace a baptism for William Brandish
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 October 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you seen this Burial record
BRANDISH William 20th Dec 1835 aged 42yrs Soldier of 12th Regt Foot Burial at St Andrews Freckenham
This would make his birth year 1793/4.
So is this him?

Regards
Bunnygirl
Leicestershire; Rothley,  Fowkes, Biddles, Dawson, Allen, Lambert, Tebbett, Needham , Horner, Cooper, Pagett, Jaques, Kinton, Newbald, Duffill    Halford, Cope, Bywater , Hunt
Bedfordshire; Cardington, Trueman, Wilstead  Bridges, Clark(e), Redman
Essex; Eady, Newman, Copsey, Rawlin, Gilders, Smith  
Rotherhithe; Henderson, Eady. Lambert
Rutland & Bedfordshire  Staffod, Glover, Tom(b)lin
Suffolk  (Wissington) Eady.
Lincolnshire, Tomlin

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Non-conformist records trying to trace a baptism for William Brandish
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 October 15 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have you seen this Burial record
BRANDISH William 20th Dec 1835 aged 42yrs Soldier of 12th Regt Foot Burial at St Andrews Freckenham
This would make his birth year 1793/4.
So is this him?

Regards
Bunnygirl

Yes, that's him. I'm going to summarise all the BrAndish/BrUndish parallels in a new post...