Author Topic: Crocket - Lossiemouth  (Read 2561 times)

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crocket - Lossiemouth
« on: Monday 05 October 15 12:52 BST (UK) »
Crocketts in Drainie Lossiemouth arrived there early 1600's two Crockett men leaving their ship to stay. Has anyone ever heard where the ship came from? One sailor appears to be called Jon the other one either Androw or John

Offline 1elizabeth1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Crocket - Lossiemouth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
I have been tracing the family Crockett (t) from Lossiemouth for the last 10 years on and off but I have recently come across the Roots site which is all new to me, please forgive my ignorance.
I have read posts from you going back to 2011 with regard to the family and I noticed the name James Crockett who had died in Greenwich in 1997. James was the son of Alexander Crockett who was a cooper and one of twelve children. My family received letters from a gentleman in Somerset who had mentioned the South African side of the family and the train crash. I am still tracing the closest members to Alexander as there has been many unanswered questions, many very upsetting but I am still working through the family stories. The house always at the centre of the stories being "Shamrock" 2 Brander Street, Lossiemouth.
I hope this makes some sense to you and could maybe talk some more.
Kindest regards

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
My grandfather Joseph was a brother of Alexander, my grandfather settled in Fraserburgh where he married a sister of one of his brother's wives.   - Charlotte MURISON.   I have been in contacted with family members from America, South Africa, New Zealand, to name a few.  My uncle Joseph lived in Somerset at one time - he died suddenly about 9 years ago. My father is still alive 92 in Dec. his eldest sister Jean is still alive although has severe dementia.
My father still lives in Fraserburgh, my mother died in April.  If you wish further info please get in touch

Offline 1elizabeth1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 15 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you for responding, your Grandfather Joseph was my Grandfather Alexander's brother and your uncle in Somerset wrote to my father, James who was Alexander's youngest son. Your uncle wrote several letters to my father and enclosed a draft family tree which mentioned the two sailors arriving. I wrote to your uncle after my father died but I did not receive any reply, I am very sad to hear that he passed so suddenly, his letters were very kind and always signed Joe. I would be very intestered to know if your father remembered why his uncle Alexander sailed for Australia in 1911.
Best wishes

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 November 15 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I wonder if either of you might have in your tree, the parents of William Crockett born 31 May 1773? He married Janet Young on 22 May 1796.  Their daughter Janet born 1/9/1800 married John Stuart 2/3/1820.  Janet died 25/8/1889.  She had 3 brothers William, James and John and a sister Jane.  William Crockett b 31/5/1773 is my 4th Great Grandfather.  I am in Brisbane, Qld, Australia.  My maiden name is Stewart. My Grandfather George Stewart came from Lossiemouth in 1912 - to Townsville, North Queensland.  I see you have a Crocket coming to Aus in 1911.  I wonder what the attraction was around that time?
Anne
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 November 15 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I have William Crockett father as JAMES Crockett who married JANET Baikie, or Bekkie married on 27th MAY 1769.  Janet's brother William born 5th April 1805 is the line I am descended from.  Many of the Crocketts seemed to have married Stuarts/Stewarts .
My line of Crockett descendents went all over the world, Canada, USA,SOUTH AFRICA, New Zealand and Australia, I think many went to look for work in other countries as work prospects were not good. My own grandfather went to USA and South Africa, and he served in the South African army in the first world war, returning to Scotland and married my grandmother and they intended to both go to South Africa but due to personal circumstances never managed to go.