Author Topic: Jedburgh Poor Law  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Jimini

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jedburgh Poor Law
« on: Monday 05 October 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to find info on a Robina Turnbull of Ancrum who is listed in the volume Jedburgh Parish (1852-1874). If anyone has access to the volume I would be grateful for some help.
Thanks, a Canadian Turnbull, Jim

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Jedburgh Poor Law
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 13:13 BST (UK) »
was Robina married to a Turnbull or was she unmarried

the Robina is a somewhat unlucky name for the Turnbull and in my Turnbull family its rarely used

Offline Jimini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 21:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you for responding. Robina Robison married a Richard Turnbull in Ancrum abt 1835?
 I am researching our Turnbull ancestors who lived mostly in Ancrum; I have been able to go back to family members who are listed on a monument in Ancrum Cemetery, a William Turnbull (Mason)and wife Isabella Davidson, and one son Richard. Both Family Search and Scotland's People have come up blank as far as OPR records, aside from a marriage in Ancrum for Richard in 1800.

Thanks again for your reply,
Cheers, Jim

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 13:32 BST (UK) »
double checked family search and it state  Richard & Robina married 23 Jan 1835 at Jedburgh - I'll check my CD's for the Jed poor law, because if they were from Jedburgh, the rule was they had to apply to they birth parish, not necessarily the parish they lived in  - I think they moved out of the area or they like many of the Turnbull's were non-conformist and don't always appear in the OPR - probably will need to check the Church Records.

Offline Jimini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 15:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I am now trying to find out if the old Kirk Session Records are available, I am in Canada so a quick trip to Edinburgh is is not an option, perhaps our local LDS has access.

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 22:51 BST (UK) »
Check the poor law record and the robina turnbull mentioned is the illegitimate daug of Ann turnbull age 2months borm 1858 at poorhouse

Offline Jimini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 15 02:17 BST (UK) »
Interesting, Annie, the daughter of Richard and Robina (marr.1835)  married a William Simpson in 1861, and the child Robina is with them in Edinburgh census 1861. Fortunately they were able to survive the poverty and have a future. In the 1861 marriage record both of Annie's parents are deceased, and Robina's maiden name appears to be Robson.  The SRI record for Robina's illegitimate birth in 1858 gives Causewayend,Ancrum in a Turnbull's house as the place of birth. Causewayend is where most of our Turnbulls lived.

Thank you so much for the info, Jim

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 15 13:03 BST (UK) »
Had a closer look at the poor law record and there was a few comments

It states that Ann applied for Robina and states she Board in Poorhouse, but declined to go into Poorhouse with Robina - it appears Robina was born in Ancrum

Interestingly it also stated that Ann's parents were dead by 1858 and Robina's reputed father was a George Scott a Millwright who had absconded.

How was Ann related to the Turnbull Families at Causewayend Ancrum - all Masons - where they cousins or uncles 

found an Ann Turnbull age 14 (servant) in the 1851 census Jedburgh living with the Andrew Wight's Family (Flesher (ie a buther)- which have connections with Ancrum)

Offline Jimini

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 October 15 14:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, how are they related to Causewayend Turnbulls, that's how I started on this. I went looking for more info on our Richard, and stumbled on a google book called "The Monthly Record of Births,Deaths and Marriages 1860". William Simpson is listed on page 73 as marrying Annie Turnbull Dec.26th, youngest daughter of late Richard Turnbull, Ancrum. The "youngest daughter" is a mystery.

The birth record for Robina shows the event happened at Archie?? Turnbull's house, who in 1851 census was a mason, and became a grocer after that (1861). I can only assume for now that Annie's father Richard was related to Archie somehow, will keep digging.

I will have to purchase the Poor Law cd at some point in time, I noticed a William from Ancrum listed in the index also. More head scratching to do.

Thanks for all of your help! Jim