Author Topic: Elsie Weller of Littlehampton, Sussex  (Read 1859 times)

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Elsie Weller of Littlehampton, Sussex
« on: Tuesday 06 October 15 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. The other day I was browsing through a box of house clearance photos at a local fair, most of them Edwardian and Victorian, including several that seem to be of a family photographed in Littlehampton. Only one of the photos had any identity, I picked it up in case there was a chance to return it to the family.

The 1911 census appears to show Elsie D Weller as a 24 year old assistant school mistress, living at 39 High Street, Littlehampton, with her mother Harriet (56) and siblings Una, Leonard and Mable, so in 1903 at the time of this photo she would have been 16.

If anyone has connections to her descendants I'd be happy to return the photo to the family!

Oxfordshire: SHAYLER, HERN,
Gloucestershire: MEADOWS, HERBERT,
Worcestershire: GRIFFIN, WOOD,
Denbighshire: WILLIAMS, JAMES, EDWARDS, DAVIES.

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elsie Weller of Littlehampton, Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 11:50 BST (UK) »
I regret I didn't pick up the stall holder's identity, there were several more cards marked as Littlehampton, so presumably Elsie's family, it's a shame this was the only inscribed one.

Offline Poppet34

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 November 17 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my name is Joanne Bolton, I'm from Littlehampton and I've been retracing my family tree, my great grandmother is Elsie Dora Bolton was Weller, who's family had a jewellers at 39 high street.

I was wondering if you still have any of these photo's?

Kind regards,

Jo

Offline pimpernel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 17 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joanne
I still have the photo I posted, it was the only one I bought, purely because it was identified and I thought I might be able to trace descendants, though as I mentioned there were many more unidentified in the same batch taken in Littlehampton so I assume from the same album. These market vendors often charge quite a lot for old photos, I'm sure you understand I couldn't really buy all of them on the off chance I could return them to the family! If I see the vendor again I'll get their contact details.
I'm very happy to return the photo of Elsie to you!