Author Topic: Help appreciated please with Irish Petty Sessions Court Registers! 1828-1912  (Read 4518 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Wonder if someone is able to point me in the right direction please?

I have a record from FindMyPast that shows My 3x great grandfather HENRY MAXWELL MATHEWS, appearing in the Petty Sessions Court Registers as above.  He appears  9/9/1854- as a witness to a "Shooting with intent to kill"!  It appears that he was the informant - maybe the victim? 

I'd really like to know more about this case, but I have no idea where to look next!

Any help or advice please.

I have the transcription, also an image of the Register Entry, but assume copyright prevents me from posting it on here, but happy to PM it if required!

Any assistance much appreciated!  Just gone midnight, so will check back in tomorrow (after I get back from the dentist  :( ).

Thanks
Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HELP APPRECIATED PLEASE WITH IRISH PETTY SESSIONS COURT REGISTERS! 1828-1912
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 October 15 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Henry is down as the informant and the witness.

Then James Cavanagh is down as the person whom commited the crime, with a list of other offences.

You have a timeline BUT a very common surname in Cavanagh (and variants) in which to look in the newspapers to see was there a report.

Shame the victim isn't mentioned which would make it easier to look in the newspapers.

Tara

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP APPRECIATED PLEASE WITH IRISH PETTY SESSIONS COURT REGISTERS! 1828-1912
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 October 15 15:24 BST (UK) »
Uncanny hit in 1829 for combination of both names
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01g9v/

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 October 15 04:29 BST (UK) »
A very big thank you Tara and Dathai, and I apologise for my late reply!  I have been following through on your responses, and forgot all about saying thank you! 

It appears that Henry was the victim in the shooting case, so have been just rechecking my sources on FindMyPast, as I don't currently have a subscription for Genes Reunited, although I am registered with them (actually twice - different dates ??? ).  I've tried to buy some GR pay as you go credits this morning, and it appears that I need to delete one of my registrations before I can order credits!

Wasn't successful at that, and as there was a facility for enquiry re deleting one of a double registration before buying credits, have filled in their enquiry form with request to delete my nominated Registration, so will need to wait for that to kick in before I can get to the complete articles.

Although I do have a number of articles re Henry from FindMyPast, not the shooting one.

However,  earlier another Rootschatter had found the following re a shooting of a Maxwell Mathews some time ago, which matches with Dathai's 1829 find, where the name is stated to be Henry Maxwell Mathews!

"Also there are reports in newspapers in September 1828 of an attempt on the life of an "industrious and respectable Protestant farmer named Maxwell Mathews, of Moyalley". Maybe he decided to move to Dublin after that"

" On Thursday night last, an industrious and respectable Protestant farmer, named Maxwell Mathews, of Moyalley, in the county of Westmeath, was waylaid and maliciously fired at on his return home from the town of Mullingar. A man walked close up to him, and having ascertained his person, deliberately presented a pistol at his head. Mathews fortunately had presence of mind sufficient to strike the instrument of death before the assassin could effect his bloody purpose. The direction being changed, the ball passed through both his coats a little above the hip, but without doing any injury to his person. The assassin immediately fled, and without uttering a single word. Will the Government offer a reward for this outrage ? "

Still totally confused, mainly because of the dates!  The entry in the Petty Court Sessions was 1854!!
The incident was 1828!  Unless this guy had 2 pot shots at him!

And I have Henry's death and burial date as 1838!

Death
1 May
Dublin, Ireland
Henry Maxwell Mathews of Portland Street, Dublin - from Dublin Evening Mail, 7 May, 1838

Burial 4th May 1838

I hope somehow that this is all going to eventually make sense to me.  Perhaps I can't see the Forest for the trees! 

I'll be waiting for a reply from Genes R. Then I can get those credits to take a look at the ones you have pointed me to Dathai.

Thanks guys for your interest, and again, sorry about the late reply.

Jeanne  ???

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help appreciated please with Irish Petty Sessions Court Registers! 1828-1912
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 October 15 16:20 BST (UK) »
Henry Maxwell Matthews died 1838

What relation is he to you ?

Tara

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help appreciated please with Irish Petty Sessions Court Registers! 1828-1912
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 October 15 16:55 BST (UK) »
Probate
Jun
Westmeath, Ireland
Henry Maxwell Mathews Ireland, Landed Estate Court Files Name: Henry Maxwell Mathews Event Type: Probate Event Date: 1874 Event Place: Westmeath, Ireland Document Number: 026 Volume Number: 115 Volume Date Range: Jun 1874 County: Westmeath
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 October 15 17:06 BST (UK) »
http://boards.ancestry.ie/surnames.mathews/1954/mb.ashx

John Gibbons Mathews, a Sergeant of Lancers of Nottingham, son of Henry Maxwell Mathews, Gentleman of Dublin, married Mary Jane Fleming, daughter of David Fleming, Officer Royal Irish Artillery, Married Donnybrook Parish Church,11 July 1845.

John Potter,Esq, son of Robert Potter (Clerk? In Holy Orders) married Sarah Annie Mathews, daughter of Henry Maxwell Mathews Esq,in the Parish Church in the Parish of St Peter 19 April, 1851.

William Coote of Moate, County Westmeath,son of George Coote,a farmer. William married Phoebe Mathews, daughter of Henry Maxwell Mathews of Dublin. William's usual place of residence was Moate, County Westmeath. The marriage took place on December 30, 1865, in St Kevin's Church in the Parish of St Peter, City of Dublin.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 October 15 00:30 BST (UK) »
OK - you guys are great with the extra information you are providing me with, and I really appreciate that.  Thank you so much! I do though already have much of that extra stuff you have found, and the shooting incident was my primary target, pardon the pun!

Referring back to my original post, it was the fact that the newspaper entry was dated 1828, and Dathai's find of 1829, gave the name of Henry Maxwell Mathews, not Maxwell Mathews, but which tied in with that.  The bit that puzzled me was the Petty Session record was 1854, by which time Henry was dead?

From my orig post .....

"However,  earlier another Rootschatter had found the following re a shooting of a Maxwell Mathews some time ago, which matches with Dathai's 1829 find, where the name is stated to be Henry Maxwell Mathews!

"Also there are reports in newspapers in September 1828 of an attempt on the life of an "industrious and respectable Protestant farmer named Maxwell Mathews, of Moyalley". Maybe he decided to move to Dublin after that"

" On Thursday night last, an industrious and respectable Protestant farmer, named Maxwell Mathews, of Moyalley, in the county of Westmeath, was waylaid and maliciously fired at on his return home from the town of Mullingar. A man walked close up to him, and having ascertained his person, deliberately presented a pistol at his head. Mathews fortunately had presence of mind sufficient to strike the instrument of death before the assassin could effect his bloody purpose. The direction being changed, the ball passed through both his coats a little above the hip, but without doing any injury to his person. The assassin immediately fled, and without uttering a single word. Will the Government offer a reward for this outrage ? "

Still totally confused, mainly because of the dates!  The entry in the Petty Court Sessions was 1854!!
The incident was 1828!  Unless this guy had 2 pot shots at him!

And I have Henry's death and burial date as 1838!

Death
1 May
Dublin, Ireland
Henry Maxwell Mathews of Portland Street, Dublin - from Dublin Evening Mail, 7 May, 1838

Burial 4th May 1838"

Tara, Henry is my 3x great grandfather.

I also had a Scavenger Hunt on here, which gave me a lot of wonderful info about this family, including, from memory, (which isn't that wonderful) the reference to the shooting!  I probably should have put that in my initial post.

And I'm all over the message boards as well!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=717638.0

Thanks again, you've been just great!

Jeanne 😄

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections