Author Topic: Help appreciated please with Irish Petty Sessions Court Registers! 1828-1912  (Read 4517 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help appreciated please with Irish Petty Sessions Court Registers! 1828-1912
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 October 15 12:13 BST (UK) »
I suppose my original thought is that it could be purely coincidental.

The 1854 chap could be a cousin or uncle to your Maxwell.

Tara

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Re: Help appreciated please with Irish Petty Sessions Court Registers! 1828-1912
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 October 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tara, you could well be right.  Until and if I ever find out who his parents were, highly unlikely being Irish of the times!  Haven't been able to find any other connections to him in that generations, can't find his wife's maiden name either!

The positive thing is, I've been able to find a good number of facts about him, and his descendants, and plenty in the Irish Papers - but it's that old thought.... I wonder if.....that always sets me off again, but I guess that's what keeps us all motivated really.

Thanks for your interest, much appreciated!

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 April 16 15:55 BST (UK) »

Just managed to get this one sorted. From the Westmeath Journal 9 April 1829

"The Hanging of James Cavanagh"!

This day the awful sentence of the law will be put in execution at the front of our jail on James Cavanagh convicted at the last assizes for shooting at and with intent to kill, Henry Maxwell Matthews
Esquire, of Moyally, near Meath, in this County.

I also found a letter from James Cavanagh to his friends published in the paper suggesting that they stay on the straight and narrow and did not follow in his footsteps.

Woohoo!  One more little mystery solved! 

All I need to find now are Henry's parents, his marriage and his wife's maiden name, and I rather think pigs might fly before I find that lot!!  ;D🐖

Thank you all so much, you've been very helpful, and I really appreciate your help!

Jeanne 👍👍😄

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections