Author Topic: Hassan, Vicar General of the Diocese of Derry  (Read 2757 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hassan, Vicar General of the Diocese of Derry
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 October 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
Yes I was aware of the post Ireland info.  Just looking for the family in County Londonderry.  Thanks for all the help and interest though.  I will check the online registers.

Seems strange that you asked
I am looking at a Margaret Hassan (b. abt 1846) who was the niece of "the Very Reverend Father Hassan, Vicar General of the Diocese of Derry."  Who would this Vicar General be and is there anything about where he was from?
if you already had the information that was found for you  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 October 15 19:08 BST (UK) »
Not sure what you mean.  I had Margaret Hassan's name, that she was married to Patrick Hamilton, they were from county Londonderry, and that she was the niece of a Vicar General named Hassan.  I am looking for their ancestry in county Londonderry and felt finding her uncles full name and place of origin was the best place to start.  Hence my post.  I was glad someone had him as Rev. Patrick Hassan and where he was from. 

I don't understand the frustration with me.  I asked a question and got the reply I was looking for - of which I was grateful.  When info was noted on the family in America I simply noted I had that and stressed it is ancestral info in Londonderry I was looking for.  I continue to look for specifically where Patrick's parents lived as well as locate Margaret Hassan's parents name.

I don't understand how I offended anyone.
Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 October 15 14:07 BST (UK) »
Just want Sinann for finding Patrick Hassan as the Vicar in question and his link to Maghera.  A descendant of Margaret's (Ron) and I have been going through the church registers he gave a link to and may have found Margaret as the daughter of Edward Hassan and Martha/Matilda Diamond, being baptized on 22 Sep 1844.  Ron also found some graveyard records that prove useful as well.

So thanks to Sinann and other posters to this great list for finding what I could not find.  It opened some doors and is greatly appreciated.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 October 15 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hasson, Patrick born 1806 Maghera ordained priest 1831 died 11 Dec 1886 buried Maghera.
(The Clergy of the Diocese of Derry, an Index p70).

GRONI index
Patrick Hassan, Magherafelt 11 Dec 1886 aged 81 years

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 October 15 23:18 BST (UK) »
Ron found his grave records.  Using that, I can now confirm that Edward Hassan was the brother of the Vicar General.  His death notice appears in the Morning News in Belfast.

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/61543630/

Death of Mr Edward Hassan, Maghera.  Many of our readers will read with regret the announcement which we make this morning in the obituary column of the death of Mr. Edward Hassan, Glen, Maghera...  He was brother of the late Very Rev Father Hassan, P P, Maghera, and father of the Rev Dr Hassan, President of St Columb's College, Derry.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 October 15 07:40 BST (UK) »
There are some Hassan/Hasson family listed as being in the Old Tamlaght Finlagan Burying ground - near Ballykelly. Might be some connection?