Author Topic: "PAPERS PAST" Update Part IV  (Read 38630 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: "PAPERS PAST" Update Part IV
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 04:05 BST (UK) »
Anyone else having trouble with the Papers Past year 'slider'? Not functioning for me......

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 04:26 BST (UK) »
All good now.......... ;D

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

Following on from our content release, we're doing some technical updates to the site, we've seen a couple of things become broken for some users (this is 100% unintentional!), but I thought this might be a good place to share some info just in case it impacts any of you.

Users of older versions of IE are going to see some issues. We're going to put some specific workarounds in place for those issues, but if you just want to use a working site in the meantime, I'd suggest using Chrome or Firefox.

I've heard of some print layout issues too, and I'm yet to dig into that but I suspect the browser version could be part of that picture too. So, if you print things and are suddenly seeing odd layouts, in the short term you could maybe try printing those pages from Chrome/Firefox, or if you just need small sections then maybe the print-screen key and cropping the part from that and printing it as an image might be convenient (This is how I usually grab stuff).

Also, don't hesitate to throw me any questions here or to the paperspast@natlib.govt.nz email address.

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Friday 06 July 18 03:49 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd just get a quick update out to you all, we've had a few things to catch up on:

Printing: We should have a fix in place for the print layout problem by monday, fingers crossed.

High-res image links: Sorted.

"Back to search results" link not working: This bug only impacts MS Edge and Firefox users, the fix will be one to two weeks away, and the workaround is to either use Chrome or IE, or to use the middle-mouse button shortcut to open links up as a new tab in the background when you're browsing a list of search results (assuming you're using a laptop or desktop).

Help page link: Still on it's way, it keeps getting bumped back in the to-do list by more urgent things, which is a shame. However I'm optimistic we can get this sorted in the next few weeks. In the meantime if any of you would like some info on search tricks, I can share some info here when I get back into the office on monday (I'll be offline over the weekend).

Text corrections: This is actually moving along not too badly. I'll keep you posted as things develop and I'll let you know as soon as we have something we can share.

If there's anything else I've missed, or if you'd just like to raise any great ideas you might have had, please don't be shy about getting in touch.

Have a great weekend folks!

Emerson

Offline Kweecopl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Monday 09 July 18 04:23 BST (UK) »
 Hi Emerson.
Thank you for your talk at NZSG Conference, Christchurch. As I was running around as one of the photographers, I only got to see a few minutes of your presentation. I still hope to do a write-up of the new search techniques implemented with PapersPast (Boolean, etc) for our Canterbury Branch newsletter. Will PM you in due course. Many thanks. Jim Copland

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Monday 09 July 18 05:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Emerson,

Thanks (belatedly, sorry) for your progress update.

Yes, I think we would all love to learn some search tricks from you if you have time. :)

Regards,

Spades

ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 00:15 BST (UK) »
No problem, I'll cut and paste a few search tricks and examples from my inbox :-)

I have a further update on the printing bug for you all, we've had to investigate a bit deeper on this and the fix isn't in place yet unfortunately. We keep finding browser-specific edge cases where the pages just don't arrange nicely.

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 02:19 BST (UK) »
Ok here we go - I have literally raided my "sent items" emails, so my apologies if you have seen some of these examples before!

Here's PART ONE:

Firstly, note that Papers Past will ignore casing and punctuation in your search term - so searching for "Mrs J. Smith" is exactly the same as searching for "mrs j smith".

Always keep in mind that the site is trying to find matches for the terms you enter, not for the subject you're looking for, it's your job as a researcher to think of how David James Richardson would have had his name written in a newspaper, and construct your search accordingly - ie, perhaps search instead for "Mr Richardson", or "D Richardson". If you search for a persons full name, you will only see the small pool of articles that happen to use all of those terms - you'll miss out on the "Mr D Richardson" results, for example.

On to the search tricks - boolean operators only apply when you’re using the “All of these words” option. All of the examples in the bullet-points below are exactly correct syntax, so take note of where spaces do and don't appear.

OR: this operator will give you search results for A OR B - nice and simple.
  • apple OR orange

NOT: This will give you results that include a term, but only if they exclude another specific term.
  • apple -orange

AND: This will give you results for a term only if they include another specific term.
  • halswell +born
  • hawera +fire

EXACT PHRASE: This gives you results for an exact arrangement of words. Obviously, this is only useful if you have multiple words inside the speechmarks.
  • "exciting smoke concert"

All of these tricks can be combined together as needed, for example:
  • cavendish +mrs -"good cavendish"
(this term would give you results that include the name Cavendish, the term "Mrs", but not if the result includes the phrase "Good Cavendish" which appeared in lots of advertisements)
  • thomson -thompson +detective +accident

To be continued...

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 02:58 BST (UK) »
PART TWO:

Fuzzy search tricks: This deals with scenarios where one or more letters could vary - this is very handy when the information you're looking for might have poor image quality, or words/letter may be hard to correctly recognise or be inconsistently spelt. Note however that fuzzy searches don’t invoke the highlighting feature on the site.

• term~1
(fuzzy search for a term where any one character can mismatch)

• term~2
(same, but two characters can mismatch)

• * = multi-character wildcard
  • ? = single-character wildcard
Eg 1: jones~1 (this will give you matches for “Jones” even when the OCR has mis-recognised 1 letter, for example “johes”)
Eg 2: Hartstone~2 (matches for when any two letters might not be identical)
Eg 3: auck?and (matches where the ? can be any one letter)
Eg 4: auckl* (matches where auckl can be followed by any number of letters)

A cool trick with this is that searching for fuzzy results for a term and using NOT to remove exact character matches for the canonical term gives you a list of results containing only OCR or spelling variations for the term. This can be handy when a name first appeared in a country and may have initially had numerous spelling variations.

Eg 5:    puhirake~2 –puhirake
Eg 6:    aluminium~2 OR aluminum~2

Weighting operators: ^x assign x more weighting to relevance score in the ranking of a term in your search results.

• duck^3 OR heron^4
This is really handy when you need to customise how results for two or more words are sorted, but sort by date or some other sorting doesn't cover what you need.

Grouping: Two techniques here, (parentheses), or “term1 term2”~x: Note the slightly different use of the tilde here than in the “fuzzy search tricks” section above: if you invoke it after a group of words in speechmarks, it expresses an n-gram length for word strings up to that length containing those terms in any order

• “biscuit barrel”~4
This gives results when “Biscuit” and “Barrel” occur in any 4-word string. For example, results for this would include things like the phrase “barrel full of biscuits” (a 4-word string) but would not include “biscuits should never be stored in a barrel”, an 8-word string.

• (term +term2) OR term3
For example: (chicken +egg) OR "trucks with flatbed trailers" - you can have one search term with a boolean AND operator only applied to it by enclosing them in parentheses, and another part that avoids the boolean AND by being outside the parentheses.

Alrighty, these are most of the building blocks for our various search operators - I'd encourage you to explore them methodically if you can, be careful not to try to create "silver bullet" search terms that go straight for the jugular. Instead, start with the simplest, broadest search you can (so for genealogy, search for a surname), and then gradually introduce tweaks to your search term one change at a time, so that you can see the impact of each change in the results you get, and respond accordingly.

Being methodical and doing it step-by-step will keep you alert to unintended "collateral damage" in your search results as a consequence of mis-using boolean terms. If you ever get totally stumped at what you're seeing, just let me know (use the email address listed on the site under "contact us") and I'll help!