Author Topic: "PAPERS PAST" Update Part IV  (Read 38539 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "PAPERS PAST" Update Part IV
« Reply #126 on: Monday 12 February 18 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Great reading.  I've just sent a link through to my cousins.  We hadn't realised my aunt was such an athlete.  One year she was placed in the potato, sack AND three-legged races in the school sports.  ETA...and the skipping race.

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Monday 26 February 18 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello again folks! This is just a heads-up to let you know that tomorrow morning (about 17 hours from the time of this post) we're putting a fix on the site that will help people's search settings stick for an entire session. This means you don't have to keep resetting things like "100 results per page" or "Preview images" every time you do a new search. Hopefully this is helpful, if you spot anything amiss please don't hesitate to let me know and we'll investigate.

Cheers!

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Just an update for you. We've made changes to cookies on Papers Past in recent weeks, so if any of you are seeing funny things happen with your search sessions, delete your PP cookies from your browser and you'll be all sorted. Feel free to get hold of me if you get stuck!

Also, we've got more content coming your way in mid-April -

Evening Star (1921-1942)
Lyttelton Times (1890-1907)
Marlborough Express (1869-1872, 1879-Jun 1880)

Enjoy -

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello again folks! This is just a heads-up to let you know that tomorrow morning (about 17 hours from the time of this post) we're putting a fix on the site that will help people's search settings stick for an entire session. This means you don't have to keep resetting things like "100 results per page" or "Preview images" every time you do a new search. Hopefully this is helpful, if you spot anything amiss please don't hesitate to let me know and we'll investigate.

Cheers!

Hello PP.

A VERY MUCH appreciated added feature, which I had recently noted was happening.

For the last three months I've spent several hours each evening researching the history surrounding two BUSH RESERVES set aside with the first 1860's survey of Waikato County. I'm now over 300 clippings later, and up to the year 1900, and nearing the end of this partucular research, as by 1910 the bush reserves had been further subdivided, following a number of wild fires.

For this research, at each session, I had been setting my research subject, date range, press selection, AND then selecting RESULTS by date and 100 per page. Not having to reset even one option is a huge saving in my book.

With SPADES assistance accessing some ARCHIVES NZ files, also pertaining to the reserves, a facinating story has emerged detailing the life and times of this particular community, and re-defining the oral history, that has survived the past 144 years.

So a very big thank you from this researcher.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Wednesday 21 March 18 00:12 GMT (UK) »

...a very big thank you from this researcher.

- Alan.

You're very welcome Alan, it's great to hear the change was useful!

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Thursday 22 March 18 00:41 GMT (UK) »
On this note, just as a general heads-up for you all, we are going to be doing further tweaking to polish the search settings code in the near future - if you see any odd behaviour in your searches, either click on "clear search" and repeat, or delete the cookie, then you'll be ok again. Normal operation will resume soon :)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Saturday 24 March 18 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the heads up.

Last night decided the ref I had attached to a down loaded clip was in error, [wrong type font for nomimated publisher] so went back to check specific date, but it would not allow me to search for my subject and just one date in both boxes, [reverted to previous search field] so just increased the date range, and scrolled through the results.

Not that confident that I know how to clear cookies.

Allowed a daughter to use her phone to print out some forms through my computer. OK in the past, but this time when I returned to my computer, all my settings had returned to DEFAULT ones.  Had to get another daughter to re-pin my frequent used programmes to my opening page.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline PapersPast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday 28 March 18 01:00 BST (UK) »
Not that confident that I know how to clear cookies.

Hi Alan, I think in the current climate of data-sharing, we should all be comfortable doing a bit of privacy housekeeping, so I tracked down a fairly comprehensive guide for you - https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-delete-cookies-2617981 - keep an eye out for "how to delete cookies for specific websites" :)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
PAPERS PAST-latest release........
« Reply #134 on: Friday 20 April 18 00:52 BST (UK) »
Have just discovered the latest release from Papers Past.............

"Latest additions to Newspapers (April 2018)":

Evening Star (1921-1942)
Lyttelton Times (1890-1907)
Marlborough Express (1869-1872, 1879-Jun 1880)

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.