Author Topic: James Drummond b 1788c  (Read 2213 times)

Offline briann1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Drummond b 1788c
« on: Wednesday 07 October 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
Does any one have any information of the following gentleman.

Merchant Seaman Ticket No. 5368
James Drummond
Born: Falkirk
County of Stirling 15th October 1789
Capacity: Seaman
Height 5ft 6
Hair Dark Grey
Complexion Dark
Eyes Grey
Marks Scar on Forehead
First went to sea as Apprentice in the year 1803
Served in the Royal Navy 18 months
When unemployed resides at Sunderland
Can write Yes
drummond,mordey,atcheson,eden,havelock,hudson

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James Drummond b 1788c
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 December 15 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Can you tell us what information you are looking for and what, if any, other information you already hold about him?

He seems to be in Sunderland with wife Mary in 1861 and 1871 censuses, for example.

Offline briann1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 December 15 08:56 GMT (UK) »
The James Drummond with wife Mary living in Sunderland are my g/g/g/grandparents They were married in Whitby N/Yorkshire 1812 moved to Sunderland around 1825.James was a seaman but all I know of his birth is that he was born in Scotland 1788c. I am trying to pinpoint where he was born and who his parents were as there were quite a few James Drummond's born in Scotland between 1787-1790. This ticket is the best link to my family I have come across as it mentions he resides in Sunderland when not at sea, I am not sure what year this ticket was dated.
On his children's marriage certificates they state father "seaman".On the 1851 census his wife Mary is living at Springarden Lane Sunderland with her grandson Joseph her husband is supposed to be a "Gardener" but I am convinced that is incorrect.

Offline briann1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 April 16 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all I have found an old parish record with a birth for James Drummond in Falkirk 15/10/1787 father James mother Janet Robertson day and month match although the actual year is 2 years out.Can anyone add any information about this family

Offline briann1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 October 16 08:51 GMT (UK) »
I am still trying to find any information on above issue.
Is the James Drummond above from Falkirk the one who married  Mary Husband in Whitby 1812? and then lived and died in Sunderland?
Any information would be great even if it rules out a link

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 October 16 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I can see there is a lot of circumstantial evidence pointing to the marriage of James Drummond and Mary Husband being correct without anything being totally conclusive. Here are just one or two thoughts.

I note the marriage was by licence. There also seem to be baptisms in Whitby at the same time with parents John Drummond and Mary.Have you tried to establish who  they were? Might  there be a family connection?- John is also a sailor.

In the 1841 census Jane Drummond age 15 is shown as born out of census county-have you located  her in subsequent censuses to see place of birth?  Have you established what happened to Ellen Drummond baptised 1826 with parents James Drummond and Mary Husband?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline briann1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 October 16 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi William.  The John Drummond who lived in Whitby with wife Mary at the same time as my James and Mary may be related but I never found any link.My James and Mary had children William,Mary Ann James and Jane in Whitby then Ellen,Elizabeth and John in Sunderland of which I have full information on the family It is James's early life I am trying to find info on. As you say lots of possible links but nothing definite.Some other people with tree's of my family pick James being born in kinross 1788 but again they have no evidence to back this up. This seamans ticket is the best I have found   

Offline briann1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 March 22 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi all back in 2016 I tried to link a James Drummond born in Scotland around 1788 to a marriage in Whitby to a Mary Husband in 1813. I’m trying again with maybe fresh eyes.
The main possibility’s seem to be a James Drummond born in Kinross 1788 and a James Drummond born in Falkirk 1789. Can anyone link these to the Whitby marriage. Around 1825 the family moved from Whitby and Settled in Sunderland. From his marriage in Whitby 1813 till his death in Sunderland 1873 I have full family details, but looking for that birth to marriage link is he in any of your family trees

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 March 22 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Do the 1851/61/71 censuses give his actual birthplace in Scotland?

Have you found a James Drummond on any Scottish census matching one or other of those births for elimination purposes?

Link to previous thread

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=732451.msg6089186#msg6089186
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)