Author Topic: William Moffat burial place  (Read 2359 times)

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
Re: William Moffat burial place
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 08:57 BST (UK) »
The William MOFFAT who died in 1848 was possibly the one who was 85 in 1841 and living in Carlisle.

The Christian MOFFAT who died in Houghton in 1846 was apparently a single woman and living with her mother (Eleanor) in 1841.

Incidentally, there were deaths of William MOFFITs in 1837, 1839 (both Carlisle) and 1847 (Longtown).

The William MOFFAT 85 yrs would be too old - my William was born 1772 and would have been  76 yrs in 1848.
The Christian MOFFAT doesn't appear to be my GGG Grandmother.

Thank you for the death dates for William Moffit's though, spelling not right.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline robbiesmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 18:39 BST (UK) »
I think possibly the Christian Moffat who died in 1846 aged 58 might be this lady buried at Gretna:

To the memory of Alexander MOFFAT in Guards mill who died Decr 29th 1794 in the 39th year of his age. Also Christian daughter of the above who died the 28th of March 1846 aged 58 years. Also John MOFFAT his brother who died at Millhill 9th of Feby 1819 aged 66 years. Also Elenor ARMSTRONG wife of Alexer MOFFAT who died 18th of Dec 1848 aged 87 years.

so she doesn't sound like your Christian Moffat.

Do you know the latest date Christian was alive? (ie when was her last child baptised?) Is it possible, if you can't find them in the 1841 census, that Christian died and William had married again?

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 October 15 08:30 BST (UK) »
I did wonder if William had re-married. Don't have James Moffat or Joseph Moffat's birth entries.

Will pay a visit to the library and see if there have any OPR's. Joseph Moffat (my GG Grandfather) was born Abt. 1802 Annan? Dumfries. They may have had a daughter - Catherine, named after William's mother.

But looking closer at their son's death certificates they have their parents as William Moffat and Christina Moffat (Fraser) - not Christian.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 October 15 11:08 BST (UK) »
I have now posted on a Scotland forum, as I  found a Christian MOFFAT on a 1841 census aged 64. Nothing to lose.

Perhaps the dates and places I have are incorrect.

Many thanks for your help.

cupcake

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 October 15 13:11 BST (UK) »
Have had a reply from the Scotland forum and the Christian MOFFAT is a male  :-[. So, I'll continue to research for Christina MOFFAT.

cupcake