Author Topic: Looking for Patterson from Cavan, Yendley and/or Taylor from Lancashire.  (Read 2994 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for Patterson from Cavan, Yendley and/or Taylor from Lancashire.
« on: Thursday 08 October 15 21:28 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the family of James and Richard Patterson, brothers who came to England to work.  James was the father of Jane Patterson, who married Henry Taylor in Wigan in 1907.  The marriage was difficult, and there is a family story that she left him with her new partner, William Yendley, and took her three children to Ireland to escape, possibly between 1922 and 1925 whilst Henry Taylor was working in the U.S.A.  Eventually Jane returned to England with her partner and family, and settled in Kent.  She lived with William Yendley and when Henry died in 1932, she married him.  One of her children, James, was my late father-in-law and it was said that whilst he was in Ireland he worked for a tailor.  He would have been about 14 in 1922.

This is indeed a needle in a haystack job, but I am hoping that someone can help!

Honeybun

Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Patterson from Cavan, Yendley and/or Taylor from Lancashire.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 October 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
As you don't give their religion these are all the Richards in 1901 Census... you can narrow them down by Religion!!

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01g9m/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 October 15 22:13 BST (UK) »
Marriage certitificates for Richard or his brother should list father's name and occupation which may help finding the family in Ireland. When were the 2 brothers born?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 October 15 22:43 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, religion is never listed on any English census I've seen, so can't help there.

James was born in 1849.  I don't know when Richard was born, but he was older than James.  Other brothers were: Patrick born 1851, John 1853, Robert 1870 and Henry 1864.  Their father was James, born 1828 married to Catherine.

Thanks.

Honeybun

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 October 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Robert was born 1856.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 October 15 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, looked at the parish registers and could not find a marriage for James Patterson to a Catherine except in Carlow & Donegal. I then looked for the children and could not locate them in Cavan records with father James, mother Catherine. I wonder are you sure the mother's name is Catherine? It is possible that the records no longer exist. For instance, the only birth I could find for a Richard is in county Derry. If you have anything else, I will look further. Kim

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 October 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, religion is never listed on any English census I've seen, so can't help there.

James was born in 1849.  I don't know when Richard was born, but he was older than James.  Other brothers were: Patrick born 1851, John 1853, Robert 1870 and Henry 1864.  Their father was James, born 1828 married to Catherine.

Thanks.

Honeybun

There is a family tree on line with extensive and documented information on this family
It shows the Pattersons as from Cavan - F Henry PATTERSON and M Mary Jane VOGAN
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 15 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your research.  I have a James Patterson in 1871 aged 42, Chorley Lancs. with wife Catherine aged 49.  This may not be the right family as their son James is not the correct age for the one I am looking for.  Myluck! - I will check out the family tree.

Honeybun