Author Topic: Looking for help finding Ivy Rutler  (Read 4570 times)

Offline whitey1954

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for help finding Ivy Rutler
« on: Thursday 08 October 15 23:55 BST (UK) »
Looking for help trying to find this woman ... Have very little info on her , I know she came from England between 1945-48  to join my grandfather Frederick Smith .. I have no idea of her age but my grandgather was born in 1901  and after the war she came to Toronto. And together they had a daughter in February 1948 , they never married as he was already married and died in 1956 ....found her name in the newspaper obit, it is hard to read the last name so it could be Butler but looks more like a R then B but can't be 100% .she also went by Ivy Smith at times , any info anyone can find on her would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Jamie

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help finding Ivy Rutler
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 15 03:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Here is your previous post about Frederick and Ivy.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=696590.msg5400024#msg5400024

I found Frederick's sister's obit.  Do you have this?  She died July 30 1994 in Oakville.  Interment Glendale Memorial Gardens.  Toronto Star, 2 Aug, 1994, page E8.  No mention of Ivy or of Ivy's daughters. :'(

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 15 03:30 BST (UK) »
Taking another look at Fred's obit, her last name could be Rutler, or maybe Rutter?? I really think that the first initial is an R.

Have you contacted the Glendale cemetery to see if anyone is buried with Fred? 

Do you know if she was a lot younger than Fred?  If so, could she still be living? 

RK

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 October 15 16:49 BST (UK) »
Following up on the info in your other post, Fred & Ivy are both noted as Smith and living at 96-27th Street, Long Branch in the 1953 Voters' List.  Also in the household are a Jean and Margaret Troup.  Fred is noted as a bus driver.

1957 list has Mrs. Ivy Smith living at the same address.  Others in the household have surname Wild.  1958 has her as an office worker at the same address.  Others have surname Marler.  I pick her up again in 1965 at the same address. Other in the household has surname Selley.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 October 15 17:12 BST (UK) »
I also found an Ivy Rutter aboard the ship from Southampton bound for New York which departed in December 1946.  Says she is a secretary, aged 38, not accompanied by husband; last address in England is 33 Church Rise, Forest Hill.

Offline whitey1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 15 13:19 BST (UK) »
This is great .. I  have been looking for her passage with no luck  so happy to get that ..now I might be able to find alittle more  on her  now that I know her age...have looked at sip manifest and it is her as she lists mrs Jeffries as who is going to visit and that is Fred's sister .I was told she had gone back to England after Fred"s death but now I see that is not right .thanks for all the help.i am going to get in contact with the cemetery where Fred is buried and see if they have any info.
Thanks again
Jamie

Offline whitey1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I have emailed the cemetery  where Fred is buried but as of yet no reply .. would anyone with access to ancestry have a look for her in England for me before she came to Canada maybe her parents names or any info would be appreciated
Thanks
Jamie

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 14:43 GMT (UK) »
London Electoral Rolls shows an Elizabeth Rutter and an Ivy Rutter living at 33 Church Road, part of Honor Oak Park Ward (Lewisham) in 1937.  They are noted at the same address in 1935.

They be the same entry as in 1930 at 25 Bournville Road, Forest Hill Ward, with a Charles Stuart Rutter, along with Elizabeth, and Ivy Elizabeth Emma. Same occupants and address in 1931, 1932 and 1933.  Charles must die shortly after this date.  There is an entry in the index for the death of a Charles S. Rutter, aged 50, in Lewisham in the quarter ending March 1934.

There is an entry in the BMDs for the birth of an Ivy Emma Rutter in 1907 in Warwickshire. Marriage index entry for Charles Stuart Rutter in Camberwell to either an Elizabeth Clementina Badcock, or an Elizabeth Farrell, in the quarter ending December 1906.  Birth registration for Charles in 1883 in Camberwell as well.

In the 1907 electoral register, Charles is living 2 Townley Road (1 room, first floor, furnished), in the home of Thomas Rutter, same address (likely his father).  By 1913, he is living at 29 Camden Grove, three rooms, 1st floor, unfurnished. Landlord is C.P. Panton, same address.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 14:47 GMT (UK) »
1901 English Census in Camberwell has Charles at home with his parents Thomas & Caroline. Siblings are Sidney, Joseph, Leopold.  All born London.