Author Topic: One-Legged Bigamist. What happened next?  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
  • My family tree is full of nuts
    • View Profile
One-Legged Bigamist. What happened next?
« on: Friday 09 October 15 06:28 BST (UK) »
Ernest Allison James lost a leg in WW1, while recovering at a Military Hospital in Neath he met Annie Louisa Knight, they married in Dec 1917.  He left her after a fight in March 1918, went to Grimsby and 'married' Nellie Mackenzie.  She discovered he was already married and reported him to the police.  He was sentenced to 28 days hard labour, Nellie was pregnant.

Ernest and Nellie moved to Sunderland where he was born and had at least 7 children. 

What happened to his first wife?  Was the marriage annulled or were they divorced.  How do I find out what happened next?
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: One-Legged Bigamist. What happened next?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 15 08:19 BST (UK) »
I replied on another topic recently

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731428.msg5763438#msg5763438

It would have been the 2nd marriage that would have been annulled in this instance as that was the bigamous one. The 1st marriage was still legally valid.

However, divorce proceedings could have taken place for the 1st marriage but there is no record of this on the National Archives site

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorces/

There also doesn't appear to be another entry in the marriage index for Ernest & Nellie, so one assumes they carried on living as a married couple even though they weren't legally married.

There is a potential death for Annie L James born 1895 in Neath in 1941
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 15 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. Ernest and Nellie certainly lived as a couple and had several children all born in Sunderland.
Main, Rossiter, - Northumberland<br />Wibberley, Walwyn, Cadman, - Staffordshire<br />Saiger, Blackburn  - County Durham<br />

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 October 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

There appears to be a male child born after the "fight" . . . . .

1918 June Neath 11a 1851 [ Name withheld ]

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 October 15 10:10 BST (UK) »
Oh dear!  This man was trouble.  He was sent to Industrial school at the age of 11 and was already considered a bad character having been birched twice and charged 5 times.  You would think losing a leg would have slowed hi down!

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 October 15 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

So, he & Nellie married June 1918 and their first child born Mar 1919?

:o

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 October 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
You would think losing a leg would have slowed hi down!
He probably used that in some cheeky 'chat up' line: "S'allright love, I've a matching one I keep hidden"
:)
Related to: Lots of people!
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 October 15 10:34 BST (UK) »
You would think losing a leg would have slowed hi down!
He probably used that in some cheeky 'chat up' line: "S'allright love, I've a matching one I keep hidden"

;D ;D ;D ;D  lol

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Irene B

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 October 15 11:01 BST (UK) »
These are two of the newspaper reports where I found most of the information.

Hull Daily Mail 06 July 1918

ONE-LEGGED BIGAMIST.
(FROM OUR GRIMSBY CORRESPONDENT.)
Ernest Allison James (22), a soldier, who lost a leg in action, and who walked into the dock on crutches, was yesterday, at Grimsby, committed to Lincolnshire Assizes for trial charged with bigamy.
In July last, while a patient at the No 3 Western Military Hospital, Neath, prisoner made the acquaintance of a young woman, Annie Louisa Knight, and after a courtship extend to the beginning of December, he married her.  On March 19th they quarrelled, and prisoner left home.   In the last week of March he met at Grimsby Nellie Mackenzie, a girl of 18, and after acquaintance of less than three weeks he went through a form of marriage with her at Grimsby Registrar’s Office.  Subsequently she discovered a letter, which disclosed to her the fact that prisoner was married.  She declined to live with him, and informed the police.  Prisoner meanwhile had surrendered to Detective Inspector Dixon, admitting that he had committed bigamy.

Next from Lincolnshire Echo 30 October 1918.

BAD CIVILIAN: GOOD SOLDIER
Ernest Allison James, 22, ship’s cook, pleaded guilty to bigamy at Grimsby on the 15th Dec. – Mr Sandilands said the defendant met his wife, Annie Louisa, while a patient in a military hospital, and married her in December, 1917, and they parted after a quarrel.  He went to Grimsby, and met Nellie Mackenzie, to whom he represented himself as a single man, and went through a form of marriage with her on the 12th April this year.  Subsequently she found he was a married man, and left him.  He gave himself up to the police.  A sad feature of the case was that Nellie Mackenzie was expecting a baby. – Detective Dixon, of Grimsby, stated that having been twice birched when a boy, prisoner was sent to an Industrial School in 1907, when only 11 years of age.  He had several times been convicted of larceny, and at the Lindsey Quarter Sessions for shopkeeping.  In January, 1918, he enlisted in the Lincolnshire Regiment at Grimsby, and had twice been wounded in France, once while with the Tank Corps, to which he had been transferred. – The prisoner pleaded for leniency, on the ground that he had lost a leg.  His Lordship said the prisoner had been a good and brave soldier.  The offence was a bad one, but in consideration of the act that he had been awaiting trial for four months, the sentence would be six weeks’ hard labour.

I know he is the person born in Sunderland because I have the school records of the 'Industrial School' confirming he had been birched twice, and I found this article in the Lincolnshire Echo 01 November 1913
Only released from an industrial school in February, Ernest Allison James, a Sunderland youth, yesterday, at Grimsby, pleaded guilty to stealing a pair of trousers belonging to a coloured seaman, named Albert Alexander.  Sentence of 28 days was passed.