Author Topic: Cairns:Drumlough birth lookup  (Read 4021 times)

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Cairns:Drumlough birth lookup
« on: Friday 09 October 15 06:30 BST (UK) »
Hi can someone please lookup the Drumlough Presbyterian church births for William Cairns and siblings son of John Cairns(farmer) also for John whom was possibly born abt 1820s. William was married aug 22nd 1872 Drumlough Parish church Dromore full age a Weaver to Margaret Jane ALEXANDER full age spinster of KILLINAMURRY father Thomas Alexander witnesses were Isaac Bigham and Annie Mary Alexander william possibly born abt 1845+-5years .I have already made the worst genealogy mistake and followed the wrong tree claiming Williams father to Be a John cairns married to Betty Jane Allen co Down. What a let down that was after lots of research and money. I dont know whom williams mother was . Thanks lnr

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cairns:Drumlough birth lookup
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
PRONI have some microfilmed records for Drumlough Presbyterian Church-
   baptisms 1855-1943
   marriages 1871-1936
   marriage notices 1853-1953

http://www.proni.gov.uk/guide_to_church_records.pdf

If there are earlier records in local custody it may be that the mother's name is not listed. In early 1800s baptisms often only show date of baptism, name of child, father's name and perhaps townland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 15 10:52 BST (UK) »
hi lnr
In case you don’t know my favourite Co Down website may not have the Drumlough information but perhaps something you don’t know I had a quick look in case http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/C/CairnsKearns.htm
John CAIRNS/ KEARNS . Dromore  husband of Mary Gorman ; father of Nancy b. 26 Feb 1824 & & Mary Jane b. 28 Jul 1826 & bpt. Dromore Church of Ireland
John KEARNS . Dromore  father of John bpt. 25 May 1806 at Dromore Church of Ireland PR
John CAIRNS/ KEARNS . Dromore  husband of Mary Gorman ; father of Nancy b. 26 Feb 1824 & & Mary Jane b. 28 Jul 1826 & bpt. Dromore Church of Ireland PRPR
John CAIRNS . Dromore  husband of Catherin McDowell ; father of William John b. 7 Mar 1837 & Margaret Jane b. 10 May 1838 & bpt. Dromore church of Ireland PR
William KAIRNS . Dromore husband of Anne ; father of Margaret Jane b. 5 Apr 1846 & bpt. at Dromore Church of Ireland PR

there are several other dromore folk listed and alexanders
she also has Drumlough Presbyterian Church 
at the eastern end of the parish,
Records from 1827, PRONI has births from 1842; graveyard nearby, gravestone inscriptions UHF Vol 19 ; oldest grave 1830; email me Ros davies for a gravestone look-up Note records 1827-1841 might exist at church or eg Presbyterian Hist Society etc

the website http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/down/tithe-applotment-books/dromore-parish.php#.VheNj0vU4YU has no Cairns but does have.
Kearns, Geo.    Townland: Drumlough Year: 1834
Kearns, Jas.    Townland: Ballyvicknakelly Year: 1834
Kearns, Thos.    Townland: Drumlough Year: 1834
Kearns, Wm.    Townland: Drumlough Year: 1834
Kearns, Wm.    Townland: Edentrillick Year: 1834
good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline DavidMcCarthy1980

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 April 18 02:01 BST (UK) »
William Cairns (b. circa 1850) of Drumlough was the son of John Cairns (1808-1896), farmer, and his wife Margaret Bingham (1822-1903).

John Cairns baptism would not be found in the records of Drumlough Presbyterian Church as the congregation was only founded in 1818 which was ten years before his birth. It is likely he was baptised in Anahilt Presbyterian Church or possibly either 1st Dromore or 1st Dromara.

John and Margaret had the following children that Im aware of:

Mary Cairns 1842- m. William Johnston and emigrated to US

Margaret Cairns 1845-1917 m. James Morrison

Agnes Cairns 1849-1931
m. George Dewart

William Cairns c. 1850-
m. Margaret Jane Alexander and emigrated to NZ

Andrew Cairns 1853-1930 m. Annie Thompson

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 April 18 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for those replys Our william Cairns was born abt 1847 and married  Margaret Jane Alexander he died in Nz in 1918. I did look at Margaret marrying James Morrison and looked at his will but it didnt seem to fit somehow Do you know any more about mary Cairns that married William Johnston and where they went to in America? We also dont have any Andrews in our family naming patterns. thanks lnr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 April 18 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for those replys Our william Cairns was born abt 1847 and married  Margaret Jane Alexander he died in Nz in 1918. I did look at Margaret marrying James Morrison and looked at his will but it didnt seem to fit somehow Do you know any more about mary Cairns that married William Johnston and where they went to in America? We also dont have any Andrews in our family naming patterns. thanks lnr

This is the same William Cairns. I wasn’t sure of his exact year of birth. I knew it was around 1850 but 1847 would fit perfectly. He married Margaret Jane Alexander of Kilkinamurry in 1872 and emigrated to New Zealand. Interestingly both of their mothers were called Margaret (nee Bingham) but obviously two separate people. Bingham is a common name in the area.

Margaret who married James Morrison was definitely his sister and they lived at Edenticullo, Hillsborough and had one daughter Lizzie who married Andrew Jordan Hooke. They had no children.

Another sister Agnes married George Dewart and had twelve children and many of their descendants still live in the Hillsborough area today.

Likewise with his brother Andrew who married Annie Thompson and lived at Drumlough. They had a large family as well with many descendants still around the area.

His sister Mary married William Johnston in Drumlough and emigrated to the States but I have no further information on them. Sorry about that.

I think there may have been another brother John as well.

What children did William and Margaret Jane have?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 April 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
I did look at Margaret marrying James Morrison and looked at his will but it didnt seem to fit somehow
Do you mean this Will?
The Will of James Morrison late of Ednacullo County Down Farmer deceased who died 1 March 1879 at same place was proved at Belfast by Thomas M'Kee and John Gibson both of Ednacullo Farmers the Executors. Will mentions wife Elisabeth Ann, daughter Ellen, son James, etc.

This looks like the correct James Morrison (the earlier one perhaps his father?)-
Probate of the Will of the late James Morrison, Edenticullo, Co. Down, Farmer, who died 29 April 1919, granted at Belfast 22 October 1919 to Lizzie Margaret Hook, Married Woman, the daughter. Effects: £27.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 April 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
I did look at Margaret marrying James Morrison and looked at his will but it didnt seem to fit somehow
Do you mean this Will?
The Will of James Morrison late of Ednacullo County Down Farmer deceased who died 1 March 1879 at same place was proved at Belfast by Thomas M'Kee and John Gibson both of Ednacullo Farmers the Executors. Will mentions wife Elisabeth Ann, daughter Ellen, son James, etc.

This looks like the correct James Morrison (the earlier one perhaps his father?)-
Probate of the Will of the late James Morrison, Edenticullo, Co. Down, Farmer, who died 29 April 1919, granted at Belfast 22 October 1919 to Lizzie Margaret Hook, Married Woman, the daughter. Effects: £27.

Yes the first will is his father and the second is James who married Margaret Cairns.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 April 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
Yes the first will is his father and the second is James who married Margaret Cairns.

That's what I thought but was wondering if lnr was confused by the 2 James Morrisons when they posted "I did look at Margaret marrying James Morrison and looked at his will but it didnt seem to fit somehow"