Author Topic: Cairns:Drumlough birth lookup  (Read 4025 times)

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cairns:Drumlough birth lookup
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 April 18 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks for all those replys William had eleven children two of whom died young How do I go about getting in touch with my relatives in Hillsborough. ?

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 April 18 04:38 BST (UK) »
according to John Cairns will he had a son John and a grandson John Has anyone any knowledge as to where they might have lived John snr said his son was in England thanks lnr

Offline DavidMcCarthy1980

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 April 18 09:11 BST (UK) »
according to John Cairns will he had a son John and a grandson John Has anyone any knowledge as to where they might have lived John snr said his son was in England thanks lnr

I’m not sure whereabouts in England his son John was living. I will have a look through some of the census to see if I can find him.

The grandson John mentioned in the will was Andrew’s son who farmed at Drumlough and later lived at Newport, Hillsborough. John (1875-1957) married twice: Minnie Mitchell (1880-1821) and Minnie Greer (1898-1964) and had 14 children. His son Robert James married my mothers cousin (she just passed away last month).

Kind regards
David

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 April 18 03:38 BST (UK) »
+thankyou David for that. Much appreciated Can you please tell me how you know for fact that John seniors wife was margaret Bigham  regards Lnr

Offline DavidMcCarthy1980

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 April 18 09:00 BST (UK) »
+thankyou David for that. Much appreciated Can you please tell me how you know for fact that John seniors wife was margaret Bigham  regards Lnr

I have attached an 1851 census look up from Agnes Cairns (Dewart) which was made in 1916 through her minister the Rev Josias Mitchell of Anahilt Presbyterian Church. This was likely made to get Agnes a state old age pension (which came into operation in 1909 and for which you had to prove your age). Agnes was a widow at this time as her husband had died in 1914. This document states her father was John Cairns and mother was Margaret Bingham of Drumlough.

Offline lnr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 April 18 01:44 BST (UK) »
hi David this is so exciting after all this time to find my 3xs great grand parents and families after all these years of searching. Can you please send me a personal message as I dont know how to send yours? Have we any scottish fore bears. regards lnr