Author Topic: Elizabeth Sutherland  (Read 7269 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Sutherland
« on: Friday 09 October 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
In 1901 census Elizabeth is a widow and a servant working in Kildonan Sutherland
Elizabeth is shown on her marriage later in the year as Elizabeth Bain
I cannot find her in 1881 census in Scotlandpeople so where might she be
Her new marriage sorry I cannot disclose parents are ...John Sutherland and Jessie McKenzie
(((((( Yes you helped me some time ago with Jessie and her family ))))

Elizabeth on the census is 28 and on her marriage later in the year is 27
making her born about 1874 ...there are two Elizabeth's in the family first one born 2.4.1864 who must have died and this Elizabeth I am searching now ....looking at Latheron Caithness there are about 4 Elizabeth Sutherland born at the same time ...is there a way I can find out if one of these Girls are mine before spending any more credits on Elizabeth...Please do not use credit for me
If there's a better way I will try it

Elizabeth

Also PS John and Jessie have a daughter I believe to be a granddaughter named Ina Sutherland cannot find an Ina what will be her correct name another help please
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Sutherland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 15 14:16 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify she is born Sutherland then becomes Bain between 1901 census and later in 1901 then is a widow when she marries again?

What is her surname on the 1901 census - Sutherland or something else if she was a widow?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 15 14:24 BST (UK) »
Is this the 1901 - how do you know she is a widow :-\

Elizabeth Bain 28 servant - head of house Frank Sykes 44

Or is it this one
Elizabeth Dutheland 28 servant - head of house Janet Gill 60

both have same birthplace Latheron Caithness - is that correct birthplace for your Elizabeth?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 October 15 16:24 BST (UK) »

...Elizabeth is shown on her marriage later in the year as Elizabeth Bain...

Normally, at this time, I would expect Elizabeth to show under maiden name at the time of her marriage in 1901?

Did this 1901 marriage that you mention show her parents as John Sutherland and Jessie McKenzie? I am not clear on that. Have you found her death cert to be able to reconfirm details?  As you know, often death certs will include names of other spouses if known to the informant.

Is this the 1901 - how do you know she is a widow :-\

Likely this detail is from the original image from Scotlands People?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 October 15 16:28 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Jacquie in Canada link=topic=522104.msg3773655#msg3773655date=1300839468

From the 1881 Scotland census at House Roadside, Swiney, Lathon, Caithness:

Jessie Sutherland, 37, born Helmsdale, Sutherland, wife of coachman
Jessie Sutherland, 16, born Helmsdale, Sutherlandshire
Maggie Sutherland, 11, born Latheron, Caithness
Alexander Sutherland, 10, born Latheron, Caithness
Minnie Sutherland, 8, born Latheron, Caithness
John Sutherland, 7, born Latheron, Caithness
Williamina Sutherland, 3, born Latheron, Caithness
Annie Sutherland, 5 months, born Latheron, Caithness

Jacquie

From Jacquie's info above, and from this thread here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=522104.0 - Elizabeth should be there with the family you would expect.

Have you tried checking 1891?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 October 15 16:35 BST (UK) »

....looking at Latheron Caithness there are about 4 Elizabeth Sutherland born at the same time ...is there a way I can find out if one of these Girls are mine before spending any more credits on Elizabeth...

1872-5 are good years to still search the free index, which will include parents' names, on Family Search https://familysearch.org/search

Monica

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in coming back to you both I have ben away to the west Coast and just got back about an hour ago

On Elizabeth's marriage certificate  she is Elizabeth Bain Widow
father John Sutherland mother Jessie McKenzie married 1901 November this is correct

In the 1901 census she is Elizabeth Bain
I cannot find a marriage for her to Mr Bain
I wondered if she had any family to Mr Bain

and yes this is her a servant with Frank Sykes

thanks

Elizabeth

McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 October 15 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hello  Milliepede and Monica

This morning I have purchased Elizabeth Sutherland 's Marriage certificate from Scotlandspeople to David Bain 1893 in Glasgow daughter of John Sutherland and Jessie McKenzie
This completes my search so far
 Am I  able to find if there were any family as stated above she is a widow in 1901 census
the marriage lasted about 8 years
thanks for your help again
Elizabeth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 October 15 20:44 BST (UK) »
 :) Hurray, well done Elizabeth. Another bit forward, as always with this.

Finding children from marriages around this time is very hard :-\ There are no specific searches you can run to find them for births. You could look to the census of 1901 to see whether any possible children show with other connected family, as grandchildren, nieces/nephews etc.

Hard at this time to get a set of children for them really. Have you searched for a possible death for David Bain? This would give you a window of time for possible children's births, to help you with further searches. Elizabeth was obviously working by 1901 from what you have.

Monica  :)