Author Topic: Elizabeth Sutherland  (Read 7275 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Sutherland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 October 15 00:20 BST (UK) »
I have entered for more credits in scotlandpeople today and cannot find David Bain anywhere even Googled him
Will keep looking

Elizabeth

McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 October 15 01:43 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth,

If you downloaded the Marriage then you must have spotted David's parents...Donald Bain/Robina Hill and he is listed as a Farmer.

So to narrow David's birthplace you would search for a marriage of Donald Bain/Robina Hill which yielded 0 hits.

The you would go with Donald Bain/Hill = 2 hits (one 17th C) but his spouse's given name is Robertina.

14/06/1854 BAIN DONALD ROBERTINA HILL/FR351 (FR351) M OLRIG /CAITHNESS 039/00 0020 0118

David's age on the marriage registration is 23 making his birth 1873 ish.  No Births fit that era so you would step back and find out when and where his mother died as she is noted on the David's marriage registration as being deceased.

However, there is a fly in the ointment as it were...Robina/Robertina died before 1873.

Death - 1868 BAIN ROBERTINA (Mother's Maiden Name: GUNN) HILL F 36 OLRIG /CAITHNESS 039/00 0020

So either he lied about his age or who his parents were, but one quick search for a David 1866-1868 and you have him.

1867 BAIN DAVID M OLRIG /CAITHNESS 039/00 0027

If you send me your email via PM I will send you his Birth.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 October 15 02:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you DonM
have sent you a PM

could Robertina died due to child berth
Had a look in S/P again for David's death still cannot find him I'm beginning to think was Elizabeth a widow in 1901
or has he done a runner Familysearch.org  have a few David Bain's born in Caithness in their census  ??? ??? ??? ???

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 16 October 15 10:53 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth

Didn't look at Robertina's death but it will tell you what she died of, both her parents names, etc.

I see no death of David Bain b 1870 +/- 5years in Scotland using soundex search.

I do see many references to David Bain at the NAS http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/welcome.aspx Search Tab at top.

He may have died outside of Scotland his trade was a House Carpenter and so he have been working in England and you may find his death there.

Also check the Wills/Military Wills in SP, it costs nothing to search these categories - there are a number of David Bain's listed.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 16 October 15 13:55 BST (UK) »

....could Robertina died due to child berth

David had lots of siblings, at least 8 going by this list here on FS -

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Abain~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Adonald~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3Arobertina~%20%2Bmother_surname%3Ahill~

If you check the date of Robertina's death, maybe connected to child birth? Her last birth were twins it seems, Allan and Alexander Murray born on 30 September 1868.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 16 October 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
Just bought the death certificate and bless her Monica you were right she collapsed 5 hours after delivering of  twins
September 30th 1868 and she's only 36 are poor soul

Father George Hill farm labourer mother Margaret Gunn both deceased

I think this family has been interesting.... think I should have bought shares in Scotlands people would have been quite rich by now  ??? ::) no just joking, Got to admit its great as you get loads out of it 

I did notice on Ancestry there are a lot of David Bain's in Wales and like you said Don he could have travelled over the border as on his marriage certificate he is a house carpenter journeyman     thanks again all Elizabeth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 16 October 15 17:10 BST (UK) »
How sad for Robertina  :-\

So David was a carpenter from what you and Don have mentioned. An idea. Although he showed as a house carpenter, wonder if also went out to sea as a ship's carpenter? A death could have occurred at sea that would not necessarily have been recorded on SP. Just another possibility really...

Monica

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 October 15 21:59 BST (UK) »
Good thinking Monica
Yes if they lived in Glasgow there would be plenty work on ships

I had a good email this afternoon
I have my family tree in Tidal pages and I have never clicked on a green icon that is sometimes on one of my relatives in my tree ...I did this last night and had a reply from this gentleman ...he started his tree in 2006 and that's when I started as well ...Jessie Munro popped up so I gave her a click and she is my Jessie who was in Roots some while ago she is the illigitamate daughter of young Jessie Sutherland Elizabeth Sutherlands sister so we may can find out more about this family ...The gentleman's wife is my relative My Grt grandfather was Jessie Mckenzie's sister

Elizabeth

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 October 15 22:04 BST (UK) »
From what you mention, hopefully for you, this will bring up new info and connections  :)

Monica