Author Topic: Would Bru Boru in Cashel have genealogy records for Clerihan/Clonmel?  (Read 770 times)

Offline caseyhagan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Would Bru Boru in Cashel have genealogy records for Clerihan/Clonmel?
« on: Friday 09 October 15 21:38 BST (UK) »
Finally, if no one else gets sick (!) we are coming to Ireland next year for our first visit.  I plan to incorporate some ancestry research time into our trip and am narrowing down the places I need to go.

We know some of our ancestors came from Clerihan/Clonmel, as my grandmother spoke often of those two towns.  She was born in the U.S. and her dad was from Co. Mayo, mother was from "the North", but her mother-in-law lived with them for 15 years until her death, (my grandmother was her caretaker for the last 5 years of her life.)  We believe my g-grandmother must have told her of these two towns.  I find Clerihan to have special significance due to it's small size and because it isn't really known here in the states.

So I'll be searching for information on my Casey/Ryan lines in that area.  They were Catholic, and my g-grandmother was Elizabeth Casey - she same to the U.S. through New York around 1860, prob. 15-20 years old, went first to Cincinnati and then to Louisville, Ky.  Her parents, according to her death certificate, were Catherine Ryan and Edward Casey.  I have no information on them, I don't know if they stayed (or died) in Ireland.
Where would I most likely begin my search there?  We will stay several nights in either Cashel or Clonmel and devote the days mainly to research.

I've exhausted my online search.  I've been on Ancestry.com for 6 years, have had my DNA tested and have purchased various search results from rootsireland with no success.

If one of them was indeed from Clerihan, is there a church that might have records from that time and is it accessible online now?   Would Bru Boru have any records that might help me?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Casey, Murphy, Dunn, Ryan, Cooney, Carroll, Morgan, McCarron

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Would Bru Boru in Cashel have genealogy records for Clerihan/Clonmel?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 October 15 21:59 BST (UK) »

Offline caseyhagan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Would Bru Boru in Cashel have genealogy records for Clerihan/Clonmel?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 October 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you SO much for the links.  I had looked into the first link, the one for Clerihan, but it doesn't begin until 1852 so too late for me.
But the second one for Clonmel has some dates that warrant further investigation.  Now if my eyes can decipher that writing! 
Again, thanks so much, I will certainly look through these.
Casey, Murphy, Dunn, Ryan, Cooney, Carroll, Morgan, McCarron