Author Topic: Ellen McCairn and Peter Heenan/Hannan -their parents?- 1851 1841 Census  (Read 1861 times)

Offline jmara

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ellen McCairn and Peter Heenan/Hannan -their parents?- 1851 1841 Census
« on: Saturday 10 October 15 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hello-Many of you previously  helped me narrow down my search for ancestors in this post  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=708223.0

I believe I have found a consistent trail for my ggg grandparents Ellen McCairn (under several alternate spellings: Helen, McCarne, McCairn, McCarn, MacCcairn, Carron and McCarron) and Peter Heenan(alternate spellings , Heaney, Haney, Hainey, Hainney, Hannon) and their family in the 1881, 1871 and 1861 censuses as well as at least 6 birth records. The censuses say both were born in Rutherglen, Lanarkshire. Ellen sometime between 1826-1827 and Thomas 1823-26. I found what I think may be their wedding records on Scotlandspeople on Jan 28 1844 (Helen Carron and Patrick Heaney) but the records show no other identifying info. I can't find them in the 1841 or 1851 censuses. I've tried to look for their children's possible weddings in post-1855 records hoping they might reveal something but I've come up cold (children Helen, b. 1847 in Cambuslang, Mary b.1856 in Luggar and Catherine b. 1849 in Rutherglen)  Any suggestions of how I can proceed?

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen McCairn and Peter Heenan/Hannan -their parents?- 1851 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 October 15 06:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I went looking about and found the following but you would have to check further to confirm if any match in with your family.

Births:
Peter Hainan 27 Jan 1829 Newton Stewart,Galloway & Dumfries  parents: Peter Hainan & Isabella Murphy

Peter Hanan 11 Jan 1810  North Berwick,East Lothian   parents: Hugh Hanan & Marget Pierson

Ellen McCarney  15 June 1822 Kirkconnel, Galloway & Dumfries   parents:  Philip McCarney & Mary Conolly

1841 census:
Howe St., Edinburgh, Midlothian

Peter Hannan  age:21  born 1820  living with Joseph Mitchell 35, Margaret Hannan 55(think mistranscribed), Margaret 10, George 7, Hugh 3, George Hannan 24. Peter & George look to be brothers of Margaret.

Marriages:

Helen Hannan- Jacob O'Brien  12 April 1872  St Mary's, Edinburgh

Catherine Hannan- John Buckley  23 Nov 1868  St Patrick's, Coatsbridge

Catherine Hannan- Walter Traguair  20 Dec 1883  St Patrick's, Coatsbridge

Mary Hernan- James Foley  12 July 1895  St Patrick's, Coatsbridge

Are you sure that they were born in Rutherglen? I ask only as there is a John Heenan in Lanark who looks like he may be a brother & he is born in Ireland. Also, came across a tree on ancestry for a Margaret Heenan born Ireland died Ayr. Lastly, found a marriage for a Peter Heenan & Mary Mijilt in 1832 county Tipperary and upon looking more many Heenans are found in county Tipperary. Hope something helps, Kim

Offline jmara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 October 15 21:18 BST (UK) »
Kim-Thanks for this! I am pretty certain Ellen was born in Rutherglen, as it was listed on several independent documents. I also found two Ellen/Helen McCarrons in the 1841 census. I think one is "mine" (either Ellen McCarron b.1826,  daughter of Daniel McCarron of Rutherglen Lanark or Helen McCarron b. 1826 in Lanarkshire, daughter of John McCarron) I don't know which and I can't find anything on Peter Heenan/Hannon/Heaney in 1841. That's why I was trying to use their children's marriages as a possible source. I had not come up with the marriages you noted---thank you--I will follow up on those.

I did look at the Peter Hainan/Isabella Murphy and a couple of the other paths you notes, but ruled them out because they showed up in censuses living in a different place than "my" family was documented as living.
I don't know if this helps any but I believe they were Roman Catholic and lived all their lives in Lanarkshire and Ayrshire areas (or possibly other areas that had coal mines).

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 October 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
I had a look at the records on Ancestry and so far have also found this family only in 1861, 1871 and 1881
both censuses in New Monkland at Greendykes Road

Two sons Peter and Thomas were both born in Ayrshire and both births are on Family search
Peter HANEY b 6 Apr 1858 Auchinleck. Parents Peter Haney and Ellen McCarne
Thomas HEANEY b 8 Aug 1860 Kilbirnie. Parents: Peter Heaney and Helen McCairn
I didn't find any births for the girls mentioned

Kilsyth, Stirlingshire
Transcribed as: HANNAN

Name   Age
Peter Hannan   35
Helen Hannan   34
Helen Hannan   14 b 1847 Cambuslang
Catherin Hannan 12 b 1849 Rutherglen
Mary Hannan   5 b 1856 Luggar
Peter Hannan   3 b 1858 Luggar
Thomas Hannan   7 Mo b Kilbirnie.

1871 New Monkland
 Transcribed as: HAWKER
Peter Hawker   45 b Rutherglen. Coal Miner
Ellen Hawker   44 b Rutherglen
Peter Hawker   13 son. b Ayrshire
Thomas Hawker   11 son b Ayrshire

1881 New Monkland
 Transcribed as: Hannon
Name   Age
Peter Hannon   58
Ellen Hannon   56
Peter Hannon   22
Thomas Hannon   19

No trace after this.
Only person named Peter b circa 1823 and died in New Monkland between 1881 and 1891 was called Peter HOWIE ?

EDIT:
I remember this family now!
The Dailly family in Illinois. Thomas married one of the daughters in 1892, which means he cannot be in Scotland at 1891... DOH!
I have also just spotted his death index. Father : Peter Heenan. Mother L. Pitcarn  ???

Offline jmara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 October 15 23:56 BST (UK) »
Yes-you are exactly right. This IS the same family that I started as looking for through a listing of "L. Pitcairn" as Thomas Heenan's mom on his death certificate. Guidance from you all (and the location of the passage records from England to the US) confirmed what the Scots censuses were consistently indicating (by the presence of Thomas, Peter, Jr. and Peter Sr together and the coal mining occupations.) ---that their mom was really Ellen McCarne/McCarron. That was a huge thing to learn.

But...I am stuck here. I know they had several children, though only Thomas and Peter went to the U.S. with them in 1881, just a couple months after the census. I can't find out any further back than 1861, tho Peter and Ellen both said they were  born and married in Scotland. If any daughters survived and remained in Scotland (they were quite a bit older than Peter and Thomas) I thought I could track from that or 1841 census or catholic/public marriage banns...but no luck to date. Thanks Again for your help!

Can you tell me where you found the death cert. you mentioned? Mine only had his mother's name.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 October 15 23:58 BST (UK) »
I had a feeling about Peter Heaney/Hannon etc

My own family also came from Rutherglen and mine also includes a number of men called Peter.
Peter is interchangeable with... PATRICK.
( all my Patricks also became Peter around 1851)

PATRICK Heaney married Helen CARRON in Rutherglen on 28 Jan 1844

Here they are lodging in Auchinleck at 1851:

Name   Age
Betty Woe   34
James Woe   1
Ellen Haney   25*****
Ellen Haney   4*****
Katherine Haney   1*****
James M Aunastry   30
Patrick Haney   26****

Offline jmara

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 October 15 00:05 BST (UK) »
Anne- I remember you helped me figure out a lot of the census info with the many alternate spellings. You may have been the one who helped me get out of my blinders focusing only on "Pitcairn".
I am so glad you found them in 1851---I hadn't seen that info! It looks like had (and lost) another girl, Katherine. 

I also found the 1844 marriage and downloaded the document from Scotlands People but it only listed their names--nothing else. Is there another place I could find additional info. related to the marriage (parents, witnesses, addresses, church, etc?) or is it just too far back?

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 October 15 00:38 BST (UK) »
The OPR ( Old Parochial Record) marriage record is simply a collated list of marriages (pre 1855) throughout the parish.

It does not contain very much information, rarely names parents or where the marrige took place.
It should say where they were living at the time.
I expect it says : Both in this Parish" or similar

I'm confident that Helen will be the 15 yr old girl living in Main St at 1841 as she is not in the household at 1851

Daniel Mccarron   20 b Ireland
Ellen Mccarron   50 b Ireland
Bridget Mccarron   15 Lanarkshire
Ellen Mccarron   15 b Lanarkshire*******
William Mccarron   10 b Lanarkshire
Catherine Mccarron   10 b Lanarkshire

Hellen Mccarron   60
Bridget Mccarron   23
William Mccarron   20
Kathering Mccarron   18

Mother Helen/Ellen was still living at 1861.
Bridget McCarron/McCairn married Patrick McInally and was living in Kilwinning

Name   Age
Patrick Mcinelly   32
Bridget Mcinelly   34 b Rutherglen
Ellen Mcinelly   7
George Mcinelly   4
Mary Mcinelly   2
William Mcinelly   1 Mo
Helen McCairns   70 *****  Mother in law b  Ireland
William McCairns   22
James Mcewan   22
John Mcanelly   22
Mary Gardner   27

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 October 15 01:18 BST (UK) »
The death info for Thomas Hennan came from Ancestry.
T&Cs will not allow me to copy and paste the full index here.

He died on 5 Aug 1916 at Joliet, Illinois age 55
( DOB given as 1 Sep 1861 Scotland)
Buried 7 Aug 1916 at Wilmington
Father : Peter Hennan. Place of birth: Scotland
Mother L Pitcarn. Place of birth Scotland

I can also see the death for his 17yr old son Leo, who died less than 2 weeks before him