Author Topic: Gillingham, Kent  (Read 951 times)

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gillingham, Kent
« on: Saturday 10 October 15 10:34 BST (UK) »
Just found out my Grand uncle was born in Gillingham.  The family is from Scotland but his father was working in England.  I was wondering if anyone could suggest where I might find a picture circa 1893 of Bartholomews Cottages, Arden Road, Gillingham.  Thanks Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Gillingham, Kent
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 08:15 GMT (UK) »
No old pictures about. 
Bartholomew buildings stood between 19 and 21 Arden Street marked on picture roughly where they stood . Appeared to be three families resident so either three cottages or one building split into 3 homes .
This is how the street looks now.courtesy of Google Street View. Whoops wont let me attach pic.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 December 15 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Arden Street has changed quite a lot in the last few decades. Even the road layout at the end nearest to the High Street is different. There used to be a Wesleyan church and a primary school, both now vanished without trace. The only way I could work out where the school used to be was by reference to the pub next door - and another pub further down the street has also completely disappeared. On the plus side, most of the houses have survived so you can still get a pretty good idea of what the street would have looked like, using Google street view.

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 December 15 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mean_genie.
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge