Author Topic: Photo and article on Cape Times newspaper - Dad fell into the Cape Town harbour,  (Read 754 times)

Offline braam63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo on front page of the Cape Times - years ago.  Some years ago (I guess between 1948 and 1851) my Dad fell into the Cape Town harbour, with his bicycle, while cycling through the docks.  It was a weekend.  They went to look at a boat (ship?) that was burning.  Ambulance arrived as well as a photographer - Cape Times - after the event.  Would it be possible to get a copy of the photo and the article? 

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Photo and article on Cape Times newspaper
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 October 15 23:40 BST (UK) »
The National Library of South Africa has films of some of the old newspapers and they will print pages for you at a nominal fee around R1 per page. You would probably either need to go into the Library or engage a researcher to go in on your behalf. You can look at the films on their readers and then note the date, page and column of the article and they will print it out for you overnight or within a couple of days. I used this process on a recent trip back to Cape Town
The Library is situated behind St George's Cathedral next to the Company Gardens.

http://www.nlsa.ac.za/index.php/cape-town-campus
It is possible that the Pretoria Library might have the films as well however I have not been there

Regards
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline braam63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photo and article on Cape Times newspaper
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 October 15 00:01 BST (UK) »
Wow - thank you Gillian. I'll definitely try that route. Here's holding thumbs!