Author Topic: Henry Kitchen  (Read 2248 times)

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Kitchen
« on: Sunday 11 October 15 16:13 BST (UK) »
Henry Kitchen married Alice Wharton on 19th May 1823 in Askham. I believe that their son, James, was baptised in 1825 in Askham but only Alice's name was mentioned on the baptism.
I have Alice in 1841 as Alice Kitchen living with George Wharton in Askham. I can't see a burial for Henry between 1823 and 1841so I'm wondering if he had moved away? I can't see any more children for Henry and Alice after James so I'm assuming he either died or moved away leaving Alice and James in Askham. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 10:31 BST (UK) »
The only Henry Kitchen baptism I can find is 22 Feb 1780 ST. LAWRENCE'S, APPLEBY, WESTMORELAND, abode Drybeck parents John & Elizabeth. It looks like Alice was born in Orton in 1790 but there are other options.

Henry   Kitchen
Death year   1824
Residence   ASKHAM, CUMBERLAND
Administerix    Alice Kitchen
Record set   Index to Death Duty Registers 1796-1903
National Archives reference   IR27/106

Alice   Kitchen   Female   50   1791   Westmorland
George   Wharton   Male   11   1830   Westmorland

I would guess that George was the son of Alice’s brother William?

It looks like Alice died in 1842?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Sadly this fits very well:

Westmorland Gazette – 5th June 1824
On Saturday last an inquest was holden at Lowther, before R.S Stephenson Esq. Coroner, on view of the body of Henry Kitchen, who had hung himself.
The verdict returned by the jurors was that the said Henry Kitchen, in a temporary fit of derangement, had hung himself.

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 14:16 BST (UK) »
For some reason, I never saw this reply or perhaps I read it and didn't update my notes. Either way, thank you Dave for finding this (very sad) piece of information for me.

I have Alice Wharton marrying Henry Kitchen on 19 May 1823 at Askham and then, on 5 June 1824, the inquest regarding Henry Kitchen's suicide was published.

However, I've just run into a problem! Alice's son James was baptised a little time later on 30 October 1825 and it seemed plausible that James was born shortly after his father's death and baptised later on. BUT James leaves his father's name blank on his marriage certificate. Does this imply that Henry Kitchen wasn't actually James' father? Could it be that James was conceived and born after Henry's death to a widowed Alice?  ???

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
The transcript of the baptism in 1825 does not mention a father, have you seen the original copy
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 15:02 BST (UK) »
I haven't seen the original, only transcripts. I'm a little disappointed as I have only just started tracing Henry Kitchen's parents and now it seems likely that they aren't my ancestors at all.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 15:22 BST (UK) »
But they are the family of Alice's husband  :).   

Sometime a baptism will indicate whether the child is illegitimate or the father has died.  If the latter I would have expected to see it mentioned on the transcript.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GenesA

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
I suppose I ought to try and see the original image if I can. I doubt it will be any time soon though considering the pandemic. I will continue to try and trace Henry's family, there's still a chance he was James' father but, even if he wasn't, he seems to have an interesting story to tell.