Author Topic: What are these people doing in my ancestors' grave?  (Read 7370 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What are these people doing in my ancestors' grave?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 October 15 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Retriever,

I am ashamed to say that I didn't tell them -- but I should have done (bone idle springs to mind!)

Now this correspondence has reminded me about it - I will tell them.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 October 15 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Pennines, I will too.

Bye

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 October 15 10:47 BST (UK) »
The grave reference on those records says they are all in Plot No A 713.  Perhaps it is a double plot  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 October 15 12:12 BST (UK) »
In my case it is definitely a simple mistranscription -- should have been Grave Number 171 (where I found the lady's husband from the same address) - buried. It was a difficult to decipher handwritten number.

As it was she was recorded in Grave 141 - with my grandparents.

I have now informed Deceased on Line about this -- wasn't easy to find where to do this on that site -- but the relative section is hidden way, way down on the 'Help' section.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 October 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie. It is definitely a single plot.

Rather belatedly I have looked at the online Tree as mentioned by BumbleB and as well as a photo of their Hill grave they also have the graveyard map. Their plot is in one section, and mine in another but they both have the reference A713.

I have e-mailed Deceased so will see what they come back with.

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 October 15 19:39 BST (UK) »
I am looking to reopen a plot, 54 years after it was last opened, for ashes.  If you just looked at the names you'd think "who the heck are they?" as it'll be the grand-daughter and 2nd husband.... but anybody with a small tree will not have spotted the 2nd marriage.  In my case I will ensure the inscription gives dates, full names and an audit trail in case anybody in 200 years' time wonders.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 October 15 19:57 BST (UK) »
this might explain some multiple burials from deceasedonline

Other interments in a grave are most useful in finding additional members of the family, as purchased graves can hold members of the family related directly or by marriage. However, if the grave is un-purchased (sometimes known as a "common" grave, or historically as a "paupers grave") then it is unlikely that interments in the grave will be of relatives, as these graves were used for those that couldn't afford to purchase exclusive burial rights in a plot, and typically hold a larger number of interments than privately purchased graves. The information about whether a grave is purchased or not is not always available on the website, but if a grave contains a large number of interments, and/or if the family names of the deceased are all different, then it is probably un-purchased.
Additionally, on rare occasions, fixed term burial rights in graves may have been re-sold on expiry to unrelated persons, in which case the original remains should still be recorded as being in the grave.
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 09:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the interest. The thing is this Hill family have their own grave with headstone in another part of the cemetery.

Perhaps there are other family members in "my" grave but if so they must be listed elsewhere.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Retriever

I wonder what the additional cs* indicates on the Hill burials reference, hopefully deceasedonline will explain.  If they have nothing to clarify this difference then as far as they are concerned the Hills & Howards are in the same plot and are only transcribing what the records show.  Still at least other records exist to show they are in separate plots.

Let us know what DO say as I see there are other records with the same thing after the number.

Rosie  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk