Author Topic: Thomas Calder born 1795 Whitehaven Cumberland  (Read 2358 times)

Offline PCalder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Calder born 1795 Whitehaven Cumberland
« on: Sunday 11 October 15 20:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm trying to get information about an ancestor as per the subject line. I live in the US, so going to Whitehaven myself is out of the question right now. Any suggestions? I've already gotten the "low hanging fruit".

-Patrick

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Calder born 1795 Whitehaven Cumberland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 October 15 20:40 BST (UK) »
There was an enquiry going back to July 2006 from a RootsChat member re Thomas Calder - reply 205 on the link below.  Might be worth contacting to see if they can help you.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=83164.198

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 October 15 23:03 BST (UK) »
I'm intrigued as to where this information has come from.

The records online for Whitehaven are quite comprehensive covering a number of churches - there were no Calder's baptised in Whitehaven between 1780-1810.   Indeed, can't find any Calder's at all baptised in the whole of Cumberland in this time period!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PCalder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 15 01:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This comes from "Passamaquoddy Genealogies of West Isles Families" by Martha Ford Barto, C1975. It indicates there, that this is taken from "family histories", but I have seen this information given elsewhere, though I admit it's highly possible they all come from a common source.

Can you point me in the direction of the records you are referring to? I'd love to take a look just to be certain, though if he's not there I'm not sure where I'll hunt next!

-Patrick

I'm intrigued as to where this information has come from.

The records online for Whitehaven are quite comprehensive covering a number of churches - there were no Calder's baptised in Whitehaven between 1780-1810.   Indeed, can't find any Calder's at all baptised in the whole of Cumberland in this time period!

Annette

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 October 15 08:36 BST (UK) »
There is an 1871 census entry than gives his birthplace as England.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M4MD-F4H

Has he been found on other Canadian censuses?

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 October 15 10:35 BST (UK) »
All ancestry trees quote Thomas Calder as born 1795 Whitehaven - married 1822 Maine US to Mary Pendleton.
Most trees seem to quote the 1851 New Brunswick Census and or links to ancestry trees - so basically all copied from one another.
No details of the birth of Thomas on the marriage record 22 February 1821 to Mary Pendleton - one quote says "Married by J.D. Weston per Eastport Sentinel" - haven't come across that yet to see if it gives further clues   ???
This census is given as a possibility for Thomas Calder and Mary - West Isles Charlotte County New Brunswick 1851

Thomas Calder  56 Carpentry. First entered the province in 1813  ??? (A note says could not tell the exact date ??)
Mary Calder  49 First entered colony at birth.
Henry B Calder  13 First entered colony at birth.
James G Calder  11 First entered colony at birth.
Lucinda Calder  8 First entered colony at birth.
Charlotte Calder  4 First entered colony at birth.

Death of Henry Calder in 1922 Fairhaven Deer Island, Charlotte, NB just gives father as Thomas Calder born England.

http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141C5.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=96a4fa32-10a4-467c-9a37-d6301034786a

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 October 15 13:18 BST (UK) »
Patrick, the baptism records are on familysearch.org.   

Perhaps he simply sailed from Whitehaven, rather than being born there??   Calder is a Scottish surname and the only baptisms for a Thomas Calder in the whole of England in the relevant time frame (I searched 1791-1801) are both non-conformist, found on FindMyPast:

Thomas Calder born.30/7/1795 of St. Michael in the Mount, Lincoln (London Dr. Williams Library Registry) , son of John Calder and Hannah, dau. of William Castleton.

Thomas Calder b.30/7/1795 of St. Michael in the Mount, City of Lincoln, bp.21/8/1795 Zion Chapel, Lincoln, son of John and Sarah.

So, the 2 entries refer to the same child - born/baptised in Lincoln and then written up in the London register on 28/3/1796).   Thus don't know if John's wife was Sarah (as actual baptism record in Lincoln) or Hannah (as written in the register in London).

Can't see any other baptisms in Lincoln though so no idea as to where parents came from.

Added: Familysearch shows a marriage of a John Calder to Hannah Castleton  on  27/12/1779 St. Botolph's, Lincoln so looks like the baptism entry in Lincoln showing 'Sarah' is the record that's wrong.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 October 15 13:30 BST (UK) »
Just found on familysearch another child baptised:

Frederick Calder b.13/9/1785, bp.16/9/1785 St. Michael on the Mount, Lincoln, son of John and 'Hannah'.

Annette
London -  Monk

Offline PCalder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 October 15 16:15 BST (UK) »
Anette,

Thank you so much. As you know, Whitehaven was a significant port so it's very likely that was listed as his birth as time went on and people became a but more confused.

I will continue to search, but I think it's pretty likely that you found the right spot for me. Thank you so much!

Patrick, the baptism records are on familysearch.org.   

Perhaps he simply sailed from Whitehaven, rather than being born there??   Calder is a Scottish surname and the only baptisms for a Thomas Calder in the whole of England in the relevant time frame (I searched 1791-1801) are both non-conformist, found on FindMyPast:

Thomas Calder born.30/7/1795 of St. Michael in the Mount, Lincoln (London Dr. Williams Library Registry) , son of John Calder and Hannah, dau. of William Castleton.

Thomas Calder b.30/7/1795 of St. Michael in the Mount, City of Lincoln, bp.21/8/1795 Zion Chapel, Lincoln, son of John and Sarah.

So, the 2 entries refer to the same child - born/baptised in Lincoln and then written up in the London register on 28/3/1796).   Thus don't know if John's wife was Sarah (as actual baptism record in Lincoln) or Hannah (as written in the register in London).

Can't see any other baptisms in Lincoln though so no idea as to where parents came from.

Added: Familysearch shows a marriage of a John Calder to Hannah Castleton  on  27/12/1779 St. Botolph's, Lincoln so looks like the baptism entry in Lincoln showing 'Sarah' is the record that's wrong.

Annette